Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Glen Delaune Boutique Amp patches

zooey

Trainwreck, Dumble ODS, Cornford, Suhr Badger 35 and PT-100SE, more. He's apparently putting out one demo video a day until Oct 10, when the whole package gets released.

Patches and some more of his custom "tone match" IRs are included.

More info at the top of the Helix section on his Patch Downloads page. There's a link to a patch list PDF, and one to a video, other vids I think you have to find on YouTube as by him.

I'm not familiar enough with any of those amps to judge their accuracy, besides of which I'm just some guy, who cares what I think, but they seemed cool in general. Slightly edgier top end than the original clips he has at the start of each vid, and maybe not as different texture from each other as the originals, but still fun and useful I'd bet.

Actually I lied, I did have a blackface Bassman back in the day, sure didn't sound like Geln's version originally. For better or worse, I had it mod'd by Dawk Stillwell, KT88 output tubes, bigger output transformer, yadda, then it was more of a firebreather, but it was always great.

Matching some original I can't afford and will never play isn't the point for me anyway, just finding cool sounds and patch construction ideas.

Props to Glen for all he does too.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if he owns those amps and makes IR'S of their power setions. Otherwise, he may be applying an eq match to an isolated guitar track of those amps in his DAW. I suppose it could be his golden ears and manual DAW eq, then refried IR beans.

When I IR my Mesa cab with my Recto power section, the Helix Cali Rectifier sounds more recto-ish. IR'ING with my Mark V in Mark IV mode makes the Helix Cali IV more Markish. IR'ing with my Stiletto ==> Helix 2204 and German Mandeva sounds more Marshy. IR with my Mesa 20/20 EL84 amp helps the Helix Vox amps.

His clips have iso tracks of "the originals", whatever that means, at the beginning. I don't know where he'd get hold of those if he didn't have the amps himself, or rent them. Or maybe he's matching his AxeFX :)

OTOH, if he had them at hand, in any form, you'd think he'd actually play the same riffs through them, or reamp the same recording of them, at least to start, then maybe keep on playing to get across more of the range of tones in the patch.

So what are the theories of doing this since the Helix doesn't have the option of changing the power amp tube type......unless I missed it. You could take in IR of the path using some software and try and tone match to a similar style amp model? Curious on ideas.

I wonder if he owns those amps and makes IR'S of their power setions. Otherwise, he may be applying an eq match to an isolated guitar track of those amps in his DAW. I suppose it could be his golden ears and manual DAW eq, then refried IR beans.

When I IR my Mesa cab with my Recto power section, the Helix Cali Rectifier sounds more recto-ish. IR'ING with my Mark V in Mark IV mode makes the Helix Cali IV more Markish. IR'ing with my Stiletto ==> Helix 2204 and German Mandeva sounds more Marshy. IR with my Mesa 20/20 EL84 amp helps the Helix Vox amps.

I wonder why he came up with the "very" creative name of his tonematching IR "Custom Sound Imprint IR" because it is tonematching i dont know of any new tecnique inveneted to make IR sound like another amp then using tonematching unless he invented a new way to make IR,s which i dont believe he did..

In his first video he say he is using his "Special Sound Imprint IR" he then change it to "Custom sound imprint IR" which he then is using exclusevly in all comments :)

I bet he found out custom sounded better than special :)

In the first video he say that he wanted to try to recreate the sound of a bunch of sought after boutique amps

So he first try to simulate that sound using amps or preamps and cabs that is already in Helix he tweaked until he got the drive and eq almost right

He then add his tonematching IR oops his "Custom sound imprint IR" :)

He then say "lets be clear" this is Not Line 6 Amps Okey.

What?

He is clearly uses Line 6 Amps and he also say he uses stock cabs he only add a tonematching IR oops "Custom Sound Imprint IR"..

He then say in the video

This is "MY OWN CREATION OF A LINE 6 AMPS" that i created using my "CUSTOM SOUND IMPRINT IR"

What?

So those people who buy his presets and then loads his preset in Helix will get NEW amps?

No they want they will get a preset with a Line 6 Amp and Cab and a tonematching IR period

Not his "Own creation of a Line 6 Amp

He then add to that statement its the secret to that make it sound like those boutique amps

And he even say its gonna make those presets simulate rollback with volym control and even FEEDBACK?

What?

Helix amps already can do rollback volym in their amps like a tuba amp does no news there and ifg you add a tonamatching IR to those amps it will rollback almost exactly like the amp he tonematched.

He is NOT coding new amps or cabs for Helix even if he say that he make new Amps for Helix.

He clearly have alot of Amps in his studio (And maybe he have Dumble and Trainwreck, Friedman etc and all those other amps he have tonematched or maybe he borrow or rent them?)

So this is what i think he did

He dial in a good sound and miced up those amps and then recorded those amps to a Daw.

Then he try to match that sound with Helix amps and search for which one that would sound most like the boutique amp he tried to tonematch

And then he tried to get as close as he could to the sound of the boutique amp he recorded with that amp and cab and then record that using the same riff,phrase,lick or chord changes sequence or whatever you use..

Then he tonematch both those recordings probably using iZotope Ozone or similar software.

Its a very simple process you just add a new track with Ozone loaded in it as a plugin and add the boutique amp recording to Ozone let Ozone calculate how it sounds and it will come up with an EQ curve then you add the Helix recording and let Ozone tonematch both so they sound almost similar they never really do as you clearly hear in Glenns videos..

He then saves that tonematching to a new Wav or Aiff file and creates an IR of that using Voxengo Impulse modeller or and deconvoler or similar software.

This isnt soething new or something Glenn come up with it has been done before many years ago in fact.

You can do the same with isolated guitar tracks also just be sure to play the same riff chords the isolated track is using and then try to dial in Helix amps so it sound as close as you probably can to that isolated track then use the method i describe above.

So for now i am excited to see what next creative selling name of a tonematching IR would be?

Are the prests makers that sell their presets gonna be more creative how about

I used my "GUITARGODOUND ZX 9900 IR" or "SOUND LIKE A SUPERSTAR IR" or "SUPERFAST SHREDDING XR1200 IR"

Or "ULTRADARK MEGAHEAVY SOUND BLACKMETAL 2000 IR" or Play Like Vai,Satch,Petrucci Custom XZ9900r IR" etc

Haha how can people buy this marketing nonsens?

Hats off for Chris on the Helix Custom Presets FB group who have done similar thing with a couple of amps like a Friedman Butterslax and a BE100 but he didnt make a funny name of his IR.,s he simply said he tonematched them (How he did it he didnt tell of course but its no secret if you just gooogle how to do it) and further more he didnt say it would feedback like a real amp does (And his presets cant feedback) like Glenn is saying his IR,s will.

If it does i am truly amazed hope someone buy them and record a riff and show me it can simulate feedback.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Hey Fella, 

hes just  a guy making a living.

you either believe it or not, but from my own point of view ive bought glens patches before for the POD HD and the Helix, and there is a hell of a lot of work in them, 

if youve got access to all the capture software, analysis software and the SKILL to create your own patches then thats great, but the vast majority of owners dont, 

and surprisingly not everyone who wants a great tone can figure out how its arrived at, they just know what they like.

Glens sells patches , sure, for the amount of work he puts into them , the quality of the vids he produces, and not just ones trying to sell his products, and the SUPPORT he will happily give if you have any problems , well if you throw all that into the mix then , at least in my opinion his patches are extremely good value.

wont be to everyone's taste, for the same reason everyone doesn't play the same guitar or where the same shoes.

but great tones none the less..

• Upvote 4

Marketing is a fact of life in the modern world. Without doing some marketing to above your products and why they're different from others and valuable, nobody would know about them.

If you think Glenn's stuff has no value to you, then, wait for it, don't buy it! If you have access to all those amps (or quality sims of them), and some set of tools for creating IRs targeting those sounds, and the ear and time to build good patches around them, go for it! If you're good at it, and set yourself up to be able to support them, you might be able to sell them. With a little marketing ;)

Personally, I'm not sure exactly what his process is for creating those IRs, but what matters to me most is the resulting IRs and patches, and whether they're worth the money to me.

• Upvote 1

I wonder why he came up with the "very" creative name of his tonematching IR "Custom Sound Imprint IR" because it is tonematching i dont know of any new tecnique inveneted to make IR sound like another amp then using tonematching unless he invented a new way to make IR,s which i dont believe he did..

In his first video he say he is using his "Special Sound Imprint IR" he then change it to "Custom sound imprint IR" which he then is using exclusevly in all comments :)

I bet he found out custom sounded better than special :)

In the first video he say that he wanted to try to recreate the sound of a bunch of sought after boutique amps

So he first try to simulate that sound using amps or preamps and cabs that is already in Helix he tweaked until he got the drive and eq almost right

He then add his tonematching IR oops his "Custom sound imprint IR" :)

He then say "lets be clear" this is Not Line 6 Amps Okey.

What?

He is clearly uses Line 6 Amps and he also say he uses stock cabs he only add a tonematching IR oops "Custom Sound Imprint IR"..

He then say in the video

This is "MY OWN CREATION OF A LINE 6 AMPS" that i created using my "CUSTOM SOUND IMPRINT IR"

What?

So those people who buy his presets and then loads his preset in Helix will get NEW amps?

No they want they will get a preset with a Line 6 Amp and Cab and a tonematching IR period

Not his "Own creation of a Line 6 Amp

He then add to that statement its the secret to that make it sound like those boutique amps

And he even say its gonna make those presets simulate rollback with volym control and even FEEDBACK?

What?

Helix amps already can do rollback volym in their amps like a tuba amp does no news there and ifg you add a tonamatching IR to those amps it will rollback almost exactly like the amp he tonematched.

He is NOT coding new amps or cabs for Helix even if he say that he make new Amps for Helix.

He clearly have alot of Amps in his studio (And maybe he have Dumble and Trainwreck, Friedman etc and all those other amps he have tonematched or maybe he borrow or rent them?)

So this is what i think he did

He dial in a good sound and miced up those amps and then recorded those amps to a Daw.

Then he try to match that sound with Helix amps and search for which one that would sound most like the boutique amp he tried to tonematch

And then he tried to get as close as he could to the sound of the boutique amp he recorded with that amp and cab and then record that using the same riff,phrase,lick or chord changes sequence or whatever you use..

Then he tonematch both those recordings probably using iZotope Ozone or similar software.

Its a very simple process you just add a new track with Ozone loaded in it as a plugin and add the boutique amp recording to Ozone let Ozone calculate how it sounds and it will come up with an EQ curve then you add the Helix recording and let Ozone tonematch both so they sound almost similar they never really do as you clearly hear in Glenns videos..

He then saves that tonematching to a new Wav or Aiff file and creates an IR of that using Voxengo Impulse modeller or and deconvoler or similar software.

This isnt soething new or something Glenn come up with it has been done before many years ago in fact.

You can do the same with isolated guitar tracks also just be sure to play the same riff chords the isolated track is using and then try to dial in Helix amps so it sound as close as you probably can to that isolated track then use the method i describe above.

So for now i am excited to see what next creative selling name of a tonematching IR would be?

Are the prests makers that sell their presets gonna be more creative how about

I used my "GUITARGODOUND ZX 9900 IR" or "SOUND LIKE A SUPERSTAR IR" or "SUPERFAST SHREDDING XR1200 IR"

Or "ULTRADARK MEGAHEAVY SOUND BLACKMETAL 2000 IR" or Play Like Vai,Satch,Petrucci Custom XZ9900r IR" etc

Hats off for Chris on the Helix Custom Presets FB group who have done similar thing with a couple of amps like a Friedman Butterslax and a BE100 but he didnt make a funny name of his IR.,s he simply said he tonematched them (How he did it he didnt tell of course but its no secret if you just gooogle how to do it) and further more he didnt say it would feedback like a real amp does (And his presets cant feedback) like Glenn is saying his IR,s will.

If it does i am truly amazed hope someone buy them and record a riff and show me it can simulate feedback.

Why the sour attitude?

Reading thru your post, it's mostly your best guess at what Glenn has done to create his Boutique Amp presets... and trying to shoot it down.

I'm not here to defend Glenn (don't know him), but you're saying he's making claims that he never actually did.

- Glenn didn't say his custom IRs feedback.  Feedback happens when a speaker and guitar pickup interact.

- I don't believe Glenn ever said he created a new means of capturing IRs or Tone-Matching.

You're right that "Tone-Matching" is not a new process.

In fact, long before anyone coined the term "Tone-Matching", Samplitude 2496 had this ability with its FFT filter.

That's been probably 15 years.

I'm intrigued by what I'm hearing in Glenn's new Boutique Amp presets.

No matter what process was used, the results sound pretty good.

As far as "marketing", I think Glenn has tried to clarify what the new presets are (not new actual models... but rather simulations of amp models not in the Helix)... and demonstrated them by playing.  If you think Glenn's style is full of hype, have you ever seen a Steven Slate video?   ;)

I don't see any harm/foul when someone is trying to help others get more from their Helix.

Yeah, Glenn and Fremen are charging for their presets... but it's not overly expensive.

Sound designers program/sell Keyboard presets (for the same reasons).

• Upvote 1

With the delay in releasing the Boutique Amp presets, I'm wondering if we're getting Tone-Matching in the next Helix update.

This would be a game changer for the Helix as it places the capabilities on the next level........Are you holding out top secret information Jim??? :ph34r:

Well, the other major players Fractal, Kemper, and BIAS have some sort of tone/amp matching features.  I would like to think Line 6 is considering this.

However until Line 6 releases something, DAW tools and IR's extracted from them are about all we really have available.  It certainly takes some knowledge, experience, skill, time and a little artistry to execute.  So hats of to guys like Glenn who put in the effort to do this and offer their work for what I feel is a pretty minimal cost.

Luckily I can do this for myself and enjoy it so I haven't really purchased any of his patches.  I have no time or interest in doing this for an entire amp library of stuff that I wont use.  But not every can or wants to mess with this and would much prefer to spend a little $ on some quality patches with this IR match feature, regardless of title.

I do like the points and questions asked by Guitarmaniac64 as we should all be curious and challenge each other.  I think it's good for us to understand the fundamentals and "how it's mades".  I don't feel that this level of understanding detracts from the value of Glenn's or others work, and awareness may even contribute.  

I do hope some of the tech savvy realize though it is possible to do this on your own and that there is opportunity to contribute to the community and make a few $ doing it.

Haha how can people buy this marketing nonsense?

Well first, I think we're buying the presets, not the nonsense, and 2nd I think Glenn has a process that it is a little different than some others.  There is more than one way to ToneMatch and based on using his and other's I'd say he's doing it a little different or with different gear or something... but no matter... it works.

I have a pretty good ear, but I don't have hours to sit and screw around.  I purchased presets from Glen, Scott and Fremen because they are the best I have heard for their particular area of focus and I use them to learn how to create the best tones for my needs and find out what's possible that I didn't think of.   It's a pretty reasonable price of admission for the education alone, not to mention the great tones.

I have anxiously awaited all of Glenn's patches since getting my Helix. He's a quality fellow who has shared much knowledge with me and it has really helped my learning curve. I felt compelled to comment as Glenn strikes me as a classy dude who won't get into an online debate with someone who clearly spent a fair amount of time crafting a message that does nothing but throw mud at a fellow guitarist/musician. 

Whatever Glenn does to create his patches works for me and I'll gladly pay the fair price that he charges for his patches. In addition to the great tones, the knowledge that I gain from seeing how he creates his patches and paths have been invaluable to me. 

Glenn is a godsend for players like me who don't have time or knowledge to create such realistic patches. I'll be first in line when his Boutique Amp series is released on 10/10. Not because of "marketing" or what Glenn says in his videos. I'll pay for the tone and I'm happy to do so.

Rock on.

• Upvote 1

1.) -In the first video he say that he wanted to try to recreate the sound of a bunch of sought after boutique amps.

2.) -So he first try to simulate that sound using amps or preamps and cabs that is already in Helix he tweaked until he got the drive and eq almost right

3.) -He then add his "Custom sound imprint IR".

4.) -He then say "lets be clear" this is Not Line 6 Amps.

5.) -He then say in the video

6.) -So those people who buy his presets and then loads his preset in Helix will get a preset with a Line 6 Amp and Cab and a tonematching IR -Not his "Own creation of a Line 6 Amp.

7.) If it does i am truly amazed hope someone buy them and record a riff and show me it can simulate feedback.

With all due respect, I am guessing English is not your native language? and since I can't communicate in anything other than English, I will keep this polite and simple. You are clearly very, very confused about what Glenn is offering, selling, marketing, and it's making you upset. Let's set the record straight, because Glenn is 100% honest and exceedingly forthright!

Not ONCE did Glenn make a single false claim about what he is doing with this latest 'boutique amp' preset package, though it's clear you did not comprehend the specifics, perhaps due to language barrier.

I have edited your post down to the basics and responded to the main points:

1.) Yes

2.) Yes

3.) Yes

4.) Yes; sort of. He said the presets he is making do not represent actual new Line6 Helix amp models. In fact, he clearly says he uses existing Helix amp models in presets designed to emulate amps that are NOT currently offered in Helix. However, he NEVER states that he has made his own amp models, or that buying his presets will give you amp models not already in Helix.

5.) No; not exactly - you are misrepresenting his words. He said he made presets which emulate new amp models; he NEVER said he made new amp models. At the moment only Line6 can make new Helix amp models.

Glenn clearly stated that he made these amp emulation presets combining Helix amp and preamp models with his own custom IR's. The merging of existing HX amp models with his IR overlays are the basis of these presets, which attempt to emulate the sound and response of amp models not already in Helix.

6.) Yes, and that is precisely what Glenn has stated.

7.) Yes, I will definitely buy these patches. And I will happily record some 'feedback' tones using them, and you will be "truly amazed"!:)

I think maybe you also missed the portion where he mentions using a Line6 FH1500 to live monitor these tones while recording the demos? The interaction between his guitar and the FH1500 speaker monitor is what allows him to induce feedback.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!:)

• Upvote 1

With the delay in releasing the Boutique Amp presets, I'm wondering if we're getting Tone-Matching in the next Helix update.

That would be a nice add-on indeed, and that would open up the eventual possibility for a "Rig Manager" Line 6 version, for Helix.

• Upvote 1

Inducing feedback is fun! Got reasonably decent results; I only did a couple of short clips; here is the signal path:

guitar (HSS strat on bridge pickup) > Helix > USB to ProTools [Helix monitored relatively loud in stereo through pair of L3m speakers)

https://soundcloud.com/recordingforbin/feedback_bf_2

https://soundcloud.com/recordingforbin/feedback_bf_1

https://soundcloud.com/recordingforbin/feedback_be100

https://soundcloud.com/recordingforbin/feedback_be100_3

Cheers! :)

• Upvote 1

Just to be clear, Glen's patches don't "simulate feedback". He's using enough gain and monitoring loud enough that he's actually getting real feedback. Doesn't have to be that loud with a bunch of gain and sitting close to your speakers.

One trick I've done in the studio is put a ton of compression on the guitar monitoring chain, only, not recording it. Feedback for days through lowly NS10s.

Got an email from Glen this morning with a PayPal link to buy these, and when I clicked to see the price, it was half the price on his site (at that time at least), low enough that I just jumped in. When I downloaded it, the zip was named "GlennDeLaune-12Hour-Boutique-Amp-Pack-Volume1.zip", so I'd guess this is a short-term intro price.

Neither the email nor the site say anything about that, and of course I'm not an official spokes-anything for Glen, so it's totally possible I'm wrong, or even that the price I got was a mistake that's fixed now, but it's worth a shot if you're sitting on that email planning to deal with it it later.

I will probably buy this set as I have purchased two other sets from Glenn and have been happy with them. However I notice especially on the Suhr amps that his Helix simulations are missing that 3D aspect of the tone, it is hard to describe, but what I heard in the Suhr clips was nice but was missing something from the real amp. I only hear that 3D lushness with cleaner tones.

-Max

Just to be clear, Glen's patches don't "simulate feedback". He's using enough gain and monitoring loud enough that he's actually getting real feedback. Doesn't have to be that loud with a bunch of gain and sitting close to your speakers.

One trick I've done in the studio is put a ton of compression on the guitar monitoring chain, only, not recording it. Feedback for days through lowly NS10s.

Exactly! It's causing actual feedback as opposed to some kind of artificial feedback. I am loving the Blackface Bassman Fender patch incidentally, totally unrelated to the feedback thing. 

I will probably buy this set as I have purchased two other sets from Glenn and have been happy with them. However I notice especially on the Suhr amps that his Helix simulations are missing that 3D aspect of the tone, it is hard to describe, but what I heard in the Suhr clips was nice but was missing something from the real amp. I only hear that 3D lushness with cleaner tones.

-Max

My primary rig is a Badger 35 running thru a PRS Bigmouth 2x12.  I was very impressed with Glenn's Badger 35 patch...very close to the real thing.  I was really surprised because the Badger 35 has such a unique sound.  It sounds very organic thru my pair of DXR10's...I think maybe some of the fine detail doesn't come across in the clips.

Picked up the patches and they sound great. All the amps sound different and have they're own individual imprints and sound like the real amps. You can also tweaked the patches to your own needs. Glenn uses the Helix pre-amps And amp models with the stock Helix cabs and his own imprint Ir s that bring the everything together and sound amazing, Great job Glenn!

I must say, really creative use of HX amp, cab and preamp model choices coupled with the special IR files! Glenn certainly put a lot of effort into these patches; it's one thing to use logic and programming skills- but with these he takes it to a different level using his ears!Thanks Glenn!

I dont know but these boutique amps sound very weak to me like there is no volume ! I did try these quickly via headphones but it doesn´t sound promising. All my other presets sound very good far better than these boutique presets and IR´s...I have to try it to direct out to cab or frfr in the future...

Glen did respond to me very quickly and he did send me modded presets and these sound so much better !  :)  Very good service  ;)