Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Glen Delaune Boutique Amp patches

zooey

I dont know but these boutique amps sound very weak to me like there is no volume ! I did try these quickly via headphones but it doesn´t sound promising. All my other presets sound very good far better than these boutique presets and IR´s...I have to try it to direct out to cab or frfr in the future...

Glen did respond to me very quickly and he did send me modded presets and these sound so much better !  :)  Very good service  ;)

Awesome great to hear Glenn's always been very helpful when it comes down to any community and forum questions!

• Upvote 1

The presets are relatively quiet. It isn't so easy to just turn each one up. Some of the snapshots are effecting channel volumes, output volumes, etc.

I was going to add a gain block to each preset... about 4dB to get them to match the rest of my patches. If Glenn is adjusting them, I'd rather just re-download the new patches.

They do sound great, BTW... I haven't been a huge fan of the stock cabs but he managed to get them to sound excellent.

The presets are relatively quiet. It isn't so easy to just turn each one up. Some of the snapshots are effecting channel volumes, output volumes, etc.

I was going to add a gain block to each preset... about 4dB to get them to match the rest of my patches. If Glenn is adjusting them, I'd rather just re-download the new patches.

Not surprised that some of those snaps tweak output volume, I know that's the case with many of mine, and you're right, it does make turning the whole preset up less straightforward. Adding a gain block right before the final output may be the easiest solution, like you suggest, if there's room and DSP available.

They do sound great, BTW... I haven't been a huge fan of the stock cabs but he managed to get them to sound excellent.

So does this mean he agrees that this set of presets are too quiet? If so, are there plans to release the fixed versions? And why haven't other people complained about that? Odd.

Check your PM's guys!!!

• Upvote 1

I purchased and downloaded right after midnite 10/19/2016...  I'm assuming I have the updated ones... hehehe.

Finally got to play them and they sound AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're great in my studio headphones, and unreal through my FRFR rig!!!

Thanks, Glenn!!!

Ordered them - but even though they (obviously) don't sound great through my 4CM setup, I've been able to use the layout to educate myself about a few things; including copying the Compressor block to my existing patches :)

Cheers Glenn! Looking forward to trying them out 'properly' somehow soon....!

• Upvote 1

Ok Glenn, enough already! Seriously, I thought I had the hang of this. I was sure my patches were sounding great. Then you go and do THAT! My helix through one QSC 8 with your patches sounds like a frigging tube amp. No, ten frigging tube Amps. . Expensive ones at that. This set of patches at decent volume with the right hi cut and low cut through FRFR system is game changing. I've just created a 35 song set list using Glenns patches plus a couple of Fremens ones. Never looked forward to rehearsal so much!

Why the sour attitude?

Reading thru your post, it's mostly your best guess at what Glenn has done to create his Boutique Amp presets... and trying to shoot it down.

I'm not here to defend Glenn (don't know him), but you're saying he's making claims that he never actually did.

- Glenn didn't say his custom IRs feedback.  Feedback happens when a speaker and guitar pickup interact.

- I don't believe Glenn ever said he created a new means of capturing IRs or Tone-Matching.

You're right that "Tone-Matching" is not a new process.

In fact, long before anyone coined the term "Tone-Matching", Samplitude 2496 had this ability with its FFT filter.

That's been probably 15 years.

I'm intrigued by what I'm hearing in Glenn's new Boutique Amp presets.

No matter what process was used, the results sound pretty good.

As far as "marketing", I think Glenn has tried to clarify what the new presets are (not new actual models... but rather simulations of amp models not in the Helix)... and demonstrated them by playing.  If you think Glenn's style is full of hype, have you ever seen a Steven Slate video?   ;)

I don't see any harm/foul when someone is trying to help others get more from their Helix.

Yeah, Glenn and Fremen are charging for their presets... but it's not overly expensive.

Sound designers program/sell Keyboard presets (for the same reasons).

Clearly not my point

And my attititude? dont i have the right to critizes anyone?

My point was he renamed an old way of making IR so much that now a bunch of people even in the comment even say "imprint IR".

Wow he is really something isnt he?

He managed to get people to say another word for a technique that almost everyone else say another word for and have done so for over 15 years.

I bet that if he say something like (picture a video with nice soft piano music in background and he look in to the camera almost try to go into the room to the one who is looking and also of course leaning the head and almost whispering)

And saying this guitar is is my Gold Superior Les Paul ZZG which i made myself (but the one he hold in his hand is really a Fender Stratocaster and anyone can see it) he later then refrase it saying something like it is not really a Les Paul but sort of a Les Paul i simply just add my deluxe pimping thing called now he is in ther camera whispering (The secret is two Paf Humbuckers instead of single coils) i bet then alot of people would say hey his Gold Superior Les Paul ZZG sounded amazing in that video even if they really saw a Stratocaster with two Humbuckers.

I have absolutely nothing against he is selling presets it is the way he sell them

But then again Chris seems to get less presets sold for being honest about the method he used to make his presets

And he seems to sell alot.

I guessed people like to be fooled.

Thats how i see it and if people get upset about what i think i really dont care but please before that do some reasearch first before you attack me about my statement.

"No matter what process was used, the results sound pretty good."

Of course it would its the same with Chris Friedman presets some even say they sound better than all other they tried i dont know but they do sound very good.

Well how is a tonematched ooops now it is officially called "Custom tone imprint IR" made?

Another thing i noticed in the comment is i could even change the preset a little and that made me think well all presets can be changed or cant they?

Does he have access to some code and can block people from changing parameters or was the one who comment a noob and thought that if he buy a preset it is not gonna be changed?

• Downvote 4

Clearly not my point

And my attititude? dont i have the right to critizes anyone?

My point was he renamed an old way of making IR so much that now a bunch of people even in the comment even say "imprint IR".

Wow he is really something isnt he?

He managed to get people to say another word for a technique that almost everyone else say another word for and have done so for over 15 years.

I bet that if he say something like (picture a video with nice soft piano music in background and he look in to the camera almost try to go into the room to the one who is looking and also of course leaning the head and almost whispering)

And saying this guitar is is my Gold Superior Les Paul ZZG which i made myself (but the one he hold in his hand is really a Fender Stratocaster and anyone can see it) he later then refrase it saying something like it is not really a Les Paul but sort of a Les Paul i simply just add my deluxe pimping thing called now he is in ther camera whispering (The secret is two Paf Humbuckers instead of single coils) i bet then alot of people would say hey his Gold Superior Les Paul ZZG sounded amazing in that video even if they really saw a Stratocaster with two Humbuckers.

I have absolutely nothing against he is selling presets it is the way he sell them

But then again Chris seems to get less presets sold for being honest about the method he used to make his presets

And he seems to sell alot.

I guessed people like to be fooled.

Thats how i see it and if people get upset about what i think i really dont care but please before that do some reasearch first before you attack me about my statement.

"No matter what process was used, the results sound pretty good."

Of course it would its the same with Chris Friedman presets some even say they sound better than all other they tried i dont know but they do sound very good.

Well how is a tonematched ooops now it is officially called "Custom tone imprint IR" made?

Another thing i noticed in the comment is i could even change the preset a little and that made me think well all presets can be changed or cant they?

Does he have access to some code and can block people from changing parameters or was the one who comment a noob and thought that if he buy a preset it is not gonna be changed?

He renamed it because it isn't a speaker IR... Its a different animal. You sound deeply offended by this. Why?

Idid have to knock the highs off of a few of them... I like a little bite, but smoothed out a little.

Yeah same here. Had rehearsal yesterday - it was quite frustrating as I couldn't get the sound i wanted and tried everything only to find.......the singer had dialled back the gain on my channel strip by mistake, AND my wireless signal was clipping for the first time ever.....the gain dial had been accidentally moved. So a distorted signal in and then an underbaked signal out = RUBBISH....... worked it out after about 2 hours!!!!Yeah I'm stupid, then had an hour of Boutique Amp Awesomeness. The Cornford, 5150, 1959 Marshall and the Fender are now the base for my patches - oh and Fremen's awesome ENGL/Mesa combo, and one of his Blues Patches, oh and Scott's Helix channel patches............never had it so good!

• Upvote 1

I dont know but these boutique amps sound very weak to me like there is no volume ! I did try these quickly via headphones but it doesn´t sound promising. All my other presets sound very good far better than these boutique presets and IR´s...I have to try it to direct out to cab or frfr in the future...

Glen did respond to me very quickly and he did send me modded presets and these sound so much better !  :)  Very good service  ;)

I play through a dt25 with no preamp and these sound great.  A little tweaking on the IRs that were provided.  But now great

• Upvote 2

I bought the pack this weekend. They are mostly way too much gain for anything that I play, but the basssman will make it to my gigging set list. I need to play with a few of them to see if I can tame the amount of gain down a bit.

-Max

Are you using the snaphot feature? Each snapshot from left to right increases the gain... far left is either clean or mild crunch and it goes up from there.

I bought the pack this weekend. They are mostly way too much gain for anything that I play, but the basssman will make it to my gigging set list. I need to play with a few of them to see if I can tame the amount of gain down a bit.

-Max

Like Rocco_Crocco says above, check out the built in snapshots.  The Friedman goes from crystal clear cleans all the way up to high gain.

Yes I checked out each snapshot, but crystal clear cleans is not the phrase I would use for the cleans on the Friedman or the Sur amps. When I want clean I will use a Fender Deluxe or Fender Twin or if I need absolute clean with no grit the Roland JC. This is with a medium output humbucker equipped guitar.

After fooling around with them I found that almost all of the gain comes from the OCD distortion that comes before the preamp model. If you step through the snapshots you will see that the preamp setting don't change, just the gain on the OCD (some of the cleanish snapshots use a seperate IR). I was able to dial down the gain pretty easily.

-Max

Yes I checked out each snapshot, but crystal clear cleans is not the phrase I would use for the cleans on the Friedman or the Sur amps. When I want clean I will use a Fender Deluxe or Fender Twin or if I need absolute clean with no grit the Roland JC. This is with a medium output humbucker equipped guitar.

After fooling around with them I found that almost all of the gain comes from the OCD distortion that comes before the preamp model. If you step through the snapshots you will see that the preamp setting don't change, just the gain on the OCD (some of the cleanish snapshots use a seperate IR). I was able to dial down the gain pretty easily.

-Max

If you haven't already try using the Soldano Clean amp. It's the business

• Upvote 2

Sure you do. Most of us at least try to do that in a less offensive manner. Your comments seem intentionally hurtful. Do you have some personal history with Glenn?

It's possible he's using Google Translate or something and doesn't intend to come across that way...

• Upvote 1

If you haven't already try using the Soldano Clean amp. It's the business

I don't see a Soldano on the list of amps included. Am I missing something?

Also, the video is heavy on overdrive lead tones. I am looking for clean and mild-crunch tones, mostly for recording rhythm guitar parts. Would this set of presets be useful?

I don't see a Soldano on the list of amps included. Am I missing something?

Also, the video is heavy on overdrive lead tones. I am looking for clean and mild-crunch tones, mostly for recording rhythm guitar parts. Would this set of presets be useful?

Soldan Clean is already on your Helix!

• Upvote 1

Hi guys, Thank you so so much for all the kind words and your continued support. You guys are THE BEST!!! For all of you wanting less gain tones, the majority of these patches clean up to almost crystal clean just by rolling back the volume on your guitar. Just like the way real amplifiers behave.

• Upvote 1