Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Glen Delaune Boutique Amp patches

zooey

I bought 'em, they passed the interview, and I'm putting them to work. They hold up nicely in the studio, through good monitors. As far as my concern about usable clean and crunch rhythm tones in addition to lead or heavier stuff, no problem there. There are some Jazz Chorus based tones, and I've also played around with swapping out the OCD block in some of the presets with less aggressive distortion blocks. These are great right out of the box, but also easy to tweak. Many snapshots use an inventive combination of cab blocks plus Glen's provided IRs, so those also have a lot of tunability. I'm especially digging the Cornford, Dumble, and Badger 35. 

Bottom line ... I found these to be very useful and solid presets—not a dog in the pack. 

• Upvote 3

Yeah same here. Had rehearsal yesterday - it was quite frustrating as I couldn't get the sound i wanted and tried everything only to find.......the singer had dialled back the gain on my channel strip by mistake, AND my wireless signal was clipping for the first time ever.....the gain dial had been accidentally moved. So a distorted signal in and then an underbaked signal out = RUBBISH....... worked it out after about 2 hours!!!!Yeah I'm stupid, then had an hour of Boutique Amp Awesomeness. The Cornford, 5150, 1959 Marshall and the Fender are now the base for my patches - oh and Fremen's awesome ENGL/Mesa combo, and one of his Blues Patches, oh and Scott's Helix channel patches............never had it so good!

Pb-272, out of interest which ENGL/Mesa combo of Fremen? Was it part of the big pack presets?

Hey guys, used my Trainwreck simulation patch through my Firehawk 1500 last Saturday night and . . . . . OMG. I thought it sounded good when I made the video but using it live?? Very nice. My point is, the Firehawk 1500 is a really nice FRFR rig for your Helix. I'm not using any of the modeling in the Firehawk 1500 (but it's there as a back-up if the Helix should fail). I'm going XLR stereo out to FOH and 1/4in. L&R out of the Helix into the rear of the Firehawk using it as an FRFR. Cool thing is, the Firehawk has a few options as far as global EQ curve settings that are pretty cool. Depending on the room and the way you use the Firehawk 1500 you can shape the sound coming out of that thing. Then you ALSO have a global EQ hat can be set with the app on iOS or Android. Pretty cool stuff.  

• Upvote 4

Hey guys, used my Trainwreck simulation patch through my Firehawk 1500 last Saturday night and . . . . . OMG. I thought it sounded good when I made the video but using it live?? Very nice. My point is, the Firehawk 1500 is a really nice FRFR rig for your Helix. I'm not using any of the modeling in the Firehawk 1500 (but it's there as a back-up if the Helix should fail). I'm going XLR stereo out to FOH and 1/4in. L&R out of the Helix into the rear of the Firehawk using it as an FRFR. Cool thing is, the Firehawk has a few options as far as global EQ curve settings that are pretty cool. Depending on the room and the way you use the Firehawk 1500 you can shape the sound coming out of that thing. Then you ALSO have a global EQ hat can be set with the app on iOS or Android. Pretty cool stuff.  

This makes me want a Firehawk 1500 again.  Wish I could try one out for a few days first.

For those that have both the FREMEN and the GDL Boutique pack -  for blues/carlton/ford type solo sounds and rhythm guitar parts. plus cleans - are these

presets still worth getting  ?  

are they better than the Fremen blues ones ? 

I really like Fremen's Blues Lead patches and use them in my live set for the 5 or so more bluesy tunes we play. I am sure Glenn's ones would be fine too, however I tend to use Glenn's for more rock sounds, and we are a rock band so that's why I give them full open throttle most of the time - I'm telling ya at gig volume Glenn's patches seem to take on a whole new personality. For me they seem to cut through a bit better than the Fremen ones, but I just haven't spent the time tweaking them yet.

FRFR.... now with EQ!

Erm....

And bluetooth and amps and effects  :)

This is one of the things that makes it a stand out.  It's an FRFR but not JUST an FRFR.  I also like the looks of it, and its cheaper than all the other typical options (Matrix, Friedman, etc)

And bluetooth and amps and effects :)

This is one of the things that makes it a stand out. It's an FRFR but not JUST an FRFR. I also like the looks of it, and its cheaper than all the other typical options (Matrix, Friedman, etc)

Surely the moment you add an EQ it's no longer FRFR?!

• Downvote 1

I finally got to use a couple of Glenn's Boutique amps, with one of my Bands tonight.

This bands genre is Americana/Southern rock, leaning more rock. All original. Although we decided tonight to cover Eastbound and Down, so i need to figure out what amp to use for that.. I may need to learn banjo.. haha

The Fender Bassman BF worked great with our rockin tunes.

Before the Helix, I have been using a Fender Deluxe reverb with a TS9 tube screamer, with Analog Man classic 808 mod, and a suhr Riot. I have always wanted a Bassman, well now I have one!

Glenn's Bassman BF really stood out as my new tone for a lot of our songs! I think all I did was cut some high EQ around 6k to sound great with Line L2t.

The other was the Suhr PT100SE

The clean and I think it was the drive (snapshot 2) worked out great for the Americana cleaner sounding songs that we do, this patch was the 1st time I even tried it out, So I look forward to tweaking the leads a little mellower. I never used or really heard this amp before, so this will be fun!

Thanks Glenn for all your work!!!

Glenn's patches are a significiant factor tempting me to pull the trigger on a HELIX.

Do it! The set of patches are life changing AT GIG VOLUMES! The blackface mentioned above is absolutely face melting in a rock kinda way and the Marshall is just something else. I've never had so much fun and great feedback as I did last weekend playing these patches live. With my boss feedback pedal upfront it sounded like I had a room full of tube amps out back! Glenn has nailed getting the best tone out of this box! I wasn't a huge buyer of his earlier patches, but these ones.....I'm starting to sound a bit obsessed, I'll post a clip from our next gig in 2 weeks!

That Sydney waterfront gig you recently posted about sounded like you had a blast! Look forward to hearing/viewing any clips you capture from your next gig.

Glenn's patch audio clips on his site are remarkably well done! I keep listening to them through a variety of reference monitors, headphones, and IEMs to confirm I'm not imagining what I'm hearing. Of course, the acid test will be hearing them through the HELIX.

Wow K8's?? I've tried them with  K-12's and I thought sounded good. Have any of you guys tried the Firehawk 1500 as an FRFR??

I use K12s up front, your patches sound like there's a serious rock band with a thousand amps blowing the place apart  (but its actually just me, oh and the band).......haven't used the firehawk yet.....

I use Glenn's patches on the Boss GP-10, play live with them, and they sound GREAT.  Worship team, so we play different music every week.  So I listen to the guitar parts, and then try to match them sound with my guitar and gear.  With the guitar synth, it's a little easier than with a regular "analog" guitar, but the Helix and GP-10 each have their strengths and weakness.  

Just got the Helix this week.  So I plan to download his Helix bundle this weekend.

Why?  Could I do all of this for myself?  Maybe.  I'm an electrical engineer and I make my living designing electronics for a +$1B/yr company.

But I don't want to.  The way I see it, five minutes spent twiddling and tweaking is five minutes I'm not playing guitar.  Plus I do that kind of thing all day--Uncle!  So when I get home, I just want to PLAY.  I'm not into the gear for the gear; I'm into the gear for the TONE.   But thank God not everyone is not like me, otherwise we would only have the factory patches and amps!

So that being said, Glenn's patches & amps are PRICELESS to me.  He has obviously has spent lots of time building them, even figured out how to do his own IRs.  and if you consider how much work they save--the price seems more than fair...

I finally pulled the trigger on this bundle and must say it is a fantastic collection of sounds. Worth every cent. Less like a bundle of "custom presets" and more like a handful of new amp models to play with. Very nice work! I haven't spent as much time with them as I'd like, but at this point I'm loving my Strat into the Badger.

do glenn's boutique patches use onboard amp models as part of the sound production or is it purely amp sounds from the included ir's ?

It's a mix of Helix amps, pre-amps, stock cabs and Glen's IRs. The guy did some work on this!

After a couple of weeks with Glenn's patches I really could not be happier.  I've tried the FRFR, FOH and even dabbled with running to the front of a real nice boutique tube amp!

Requires minimal adjustment from one to the other except for gain staging into that tube amp.  Going from Clean to Drive 1 to Drive 2 to Lead snapshot is almost an exponential volume increase as more gain is added and hits the preamp stage of the tube amp so I will need to make some adjustment if I go that route.

Loving the Dumble, the Bassman and the Trainwreck right now. With a Strat+zexcoils and a Duesenberg 49er. 

• 1 month later...