Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Get Model + Mags = sound like two guitars?

As anyone been able to get a passable simulation of two guitars using a combination of mags combined with a model? I am interested in combining the acoustic models with my mags for a fuller sound (for courses etc..). I am thinking of passing one signal through something like Waves Doubler (set at 100% wet). Even delaying one signal 10-30 ms might help. Just wondering if anyone has tried and what works / doesn't work.

thanks,

mark

When you record 2 guitars, you have to remember that it's also using the amp in 2 instances, and not just 1.

Adding 2 recordings of an amp together sounds different then putting 2 guitars into 1 amp signal.

Ultimately you want to have the signals split to go into 2 different amp type signals.

Another thing you want to think about when people record 2 guitars, is that the playing will not be exactly the same, which creates this depth. When you record off of 1 instance of playing, it will be the exact same playing and that can take away from the sense of depth.

Some people do a fake sense of depth, usually to simulate doube tracking in stereo, by adding a short delay on the left or right channel. It gives it a slight out of phase effect that makes it sound like 2 different guitars being played.

right, plugins like waves doubler use a tight but moving delay (like 1-20ms)  and a moving detune (like 1-5 cents) to simulate the additional instruments. I am thinking that this might be possible by adjusting the delay and tune of one channel of my HD500x (or Helix when I buy one) via midi or using a VST plugin and routing the signal through my laptop. Just wondering if anyone has spent time on this issue.  

• 2 weeks later...

As anyone been able to get a passable simulation of two guitars using a combination of mags combined with a model? I am interested in combining the acoustic models with my mags for a fuller sound (for courses etc..). I am thinking of passing one signal through something like Waves Doubler (set at 100% wet). Even delaying one signal 10-30 ms might help. Just wondering if anyone has tried and what works / doesn't work.

thanks,

mark

Do this all the time. It never sounds 100% like two guitars but I dig what it adds. I have a 100% wet delay on one side between 15 and 30ms depending on how "wide" I want it. Then adding any other minor differences each add to the "2 guitar" sound. Different amp on each side, different cab, different slapback, different reverb. I even go as far as different phaser, chorus or flanger. More of a dual mono than stereo deal. Listening in headphones really helps set it up. On many patches the E and B strings sound wide, the G and D less wide and then wider again on A and E. Just playing a scale will have the separation change depending on what part of the neck you are playing.