Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A few questions before I'm deciding to purchase the Pod HD500X

hag01

I understand that it is the most comfortable to edit presets through a computer software, especially deep editing, but if I'm in the rehearsal room and I want to change a little thing in the preset on the moment just by clicking the buttons of the Pod, is it possible?

Or every change in the presets only through a software?

One more thing, if I want to connect the Pod to let say a tube amp, and use it only as a multi effect, without the amp modelling, should it be fine just as a multi effect?

Video below shows you how to edit patches easily on the HD itself.  including assigning footswitches.

All that is missing is Effect or Amp parameter you want to control with controller pedal 1 or 2.

Navigate curser over FX or Amp you want to control by pedal.

Double click the "move" button;

move edit knob 1 to select parameter;  3 selects min and 4 selects max. 2 selects pedal 1 or 2.

So easy but do save Preset by saving twice, First for preset, 2nd for location.

In the global settings the default is when you touch the Amp controls the screen shows the amp parameters for a selectable amount of time. This function can be turned off in global menu.

It is possible to fine tune your patches without having it plugged into a computer, you can build patches from scratch just using the user interface.

You can use the HD500x as a multi effect, you can also use it for amp modeling. It's up to you. Check out the "4 Cable Method".

If you do not intend on using the amp modeling, I think you are wasting money. 

Sure, the fx are nice. But any unit can do fx. The price of the Pod is based on its modeling technology, and the best use of the Pod is to go direct to the PA.  

Basically, you'd be buying a Ferrari for the sole purpose of driving to the end of the driveway to get the mail. 

We've seen many new users not understand, so let's make sure we understand something....

It is not a simple click of a button and "wham-o" all modeling gets turned off. 

The amps are part of your presets. If you don't want to use modeling, you need to design presets that do not use amps. 

If you do not intend on using the amp modeling, I think you are wasting money. 

Sure, the fx are nice. But any unit can do fx. The price of the Pod is based on its modeling technology, and the best use of the Pod is to go direct to the PA.  

Basically, you'd be buying a Ferrari for the sole purpose of driving to the end of the driveway to get the mail. 

I'm definitely going to use the amp modelling, But I need it for several purposes.
At home I'm going to us the amp modelling all the time, but in a rehearsal room and gigs I definitely will use the amp modelling if I'll have the option and if it will fit the specific situation, but I can see some situations where I'll have to plug it into a tube amp.

The reason I'm asking is because I saw some complaints from users who said that the Pod doesn't work well just as a multi effect combine with a tube amp, while other users sayed that this complaints is none sense and it works perferctly well just as a multi effect combine with a tube amp.

I bought the POD with the same intentions as you.  To use the modeling for recording at home and practice by myself, but to use the 4 cable method when I practice with the band or play live.  I ended up ditching the amp and going direct into the PA for my band tones too.  There was just too much flexibility that I was missing out on.  But to answer your question, the POD will work just fine in all of the situations you described.

Remember that modeled sounds are modeling what the crowd would hear after you mic and amp and send it through the PA.  If you play small enough venues that you don't have to mic your amp, then the tube amp would definitely sound better.  If you are micing your amp, then the people watching and listening to you would hear the mic'd amp through the PA, and in that case the POD would sound just as good.

As for using it as a multi FX unit, it works just fine after you figure out how to tweak it.  But that is life with the POD, you have to learn how to tweak everything.  And make sure you have your stuff set up before gig night.  You can edit things on the POD if you have to, but you don't want to be building patches during sound check.  You'll want to have your stuff mostly sorted out before you hit the stage.

• Upvote 1

Don't confuse using the 4 Cable Method (4CM with a tube amp) with running the HD into the power section of a tube amp (via FX loop). The most problems tube guys can run into is the 4CM (lots of variables and then there is control) but a Pod of any flavor ran into a tube power amp can be really sweet.

Just $0.02 mind you. :)

I use the PODHD into my JCM900 Marshall.  I set the PODHD set on Studio Out and plug that into the FX return of the Marshall.  I also use just the Pre versions of the amp modeling since I have a tube power amp.

The PODHD can be used in a LOT of different configurations.  However, I can't just use my presets that are configured for my tube amp and expect them to sound the same when running direct into a P.A. system.  It takes time to tweak them for different combinations.

The great thing is - Yes the PODHD can do all these things and sound really good.

The bad thing is - It takes some serious time, effort, and understanding to be able to do all these things.

The great thing is - There's a lot of people on this forum that will help you.