Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pre-amp models at much lower output??

jeremyzinn225

So I use the helix primarily as a preamp through my fryette ps-2 and Marshall 4x12. My question is why are the preamp models at a much lower volume that the amp models. At practice volumes they are unusable without cranking my power section. This was the same when I went through the effects return on my 6505 + . Am I missing something here? Maybe the line 6 guys can shed some light/tricks on this one. Thanks

About a month ago, I tried the Helix preamps into the effects loop of my DT-25 and had the same experience. The 25 watt power amp doesn't get all that loud in the first place, although it sufficed at gigs when I used my Pod HD500 preamps with it via Line 6 Link. Of course the HD500 is a different platform than Helix and at least so far, Line 6 Link seems pretty useless with it unless you're using one of the Line 6 powered speakers (at least from what I understand). At the time, I knew much less about various ways to boost outputs on Helix and I deemed the preamps with the DT-25 to be a pretty useless configuration. At this point, I'm using an Alto Truesonic TS 212 powered speaker and I'm not interested in having Helix preamps work the DT-25 anymore.

You should be able to run full Helix amp models through the PS2. It will likely sound better. I believe there are some guidelines on the PS2 presensce and depth controls for flat response. One of the main selling points of the PS2 is the flatness and lack of coloration of its 6L6 power amp. This is why you can tell no difference in an attenuated physical amp in the videos. It is meant to take a full amp signal.

This is the main reason I am looking to buy one

You should be able to run full Helix amp models through the PS2. It will likely sound better. I believe there are some guidelines on the PS2 presensce and depth controls for flat response. One of the main selling points of the PS2 is the flatness and lack of coloration of its 6L6 power amp. This is why you can tell no difference in an attenuated physical amp in the videos. It is meant to take a full amp signal.

This is the main reason I am looking to buy one

That's what I have been doing from day one is uding the full amps (minus the cabs) it's been working fine , I was just curious as to why they wouldn't be unity with the pre's