Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Global Setting To Deactivate Preamps and Cabs?

GmanJeff

Brand new user here.  I understand that patches typically incorporate preamp and cab models as well as effects, to enable optimal tone when going direct into a DAW or FOH mixer, but that it's usually preferable to take those models out of the circuit when the Helix is used in front of a physical amp and cab which add their own coloration.  Is there a way to globally disable and enable preamps and/or cabs to suit each such situation, or is it necessary to set up two sets of patch collections, one with preamp and cab models and one without, to suit each scenario?  

Ideally, I'd like my patches to include always preamp and cab models when I use the XLR outs to a mixer, and for those models to be disabled when I use a 1/4" out into my stage amp.  Is that configuration possible?  

There isn't a way to do this, but it can't take more than 10 seconds to manually disable them on the screen, can it?

It would take a lot less time to be able to permanently set the Helix to always send all patches with amp and cab blocks active to a mixer through XLR outs and all patches with those blocks disabled to the 1/4" out going to a physical amp.  The time it would take to modify every patch before a gig to accommodate that gig's logistics (direct into PA or not) would depend on how many patches you use.  One patch maybe 10 seconds, many patches, much more time, over and over again for each gig.  

It would take a lot less time to be able to permanently set the Helix to always send all patches with amp and cab blocks active to a mixer through XLR outs and all patches with those blocks disabled to the 1/4" out going to a physical amp. The time it would take to modify every patch before a gig to accommodate that gig's logistics (direct into PA or not) would depend on how many patches you use. One patch maybe 10 seconds, many patches, much more time, over and over again for each gig.

Perhaps. But I often find that when you change the amplification system from one type to another, every modeler I've ever had has needed some adjustments to the patches to compensate for whatever the new amplification system is doing or not doing. Every amplification system has different needs so you have to adjust more parameters than just the models and cabs being turned off. If your amp has an effects loop, you may want to use 4CM. But what if the patches you use don't normally use the Helix's effects loops? Depending on how many effects you're running, you'll likely have to reorganize your signal chain. Then there are the effects on the Helix and how their sound will absolutely change when you change amplification systems. You're going to want to adjust them too. It has been my experience that this is just unavoidable. You may as well make specific patches for different amplification systems.

What willjrock said, just use snapshots.  Make your main patch for FOH and set up one snapshot with the amp and cabs off and all the effects adjusted for optimized playing into the front of your amp.  You can set up a third snapshot with all the right settings to do 4cm too.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, all - I appreciate the ideas, and am looking forward to learning more about how to get the most out of the Helix in the most efficient way. My second gig with it is coming up tomorrow, and it will be my first with it going into FOH and my monitor only, with no backline.

What willjrock said, just use snapshots.  Make your main patch for FOH and set up one snapshot with the amp and cabs off and all the effects adjusted for optimized playing into the front of your amp.  You can set up a third snapshot with all the right settings to do 4cm too.

Hey cool. Never had anyone agree with me before :) Come around more often :)

• Upvote 1

I can relate, although I'm not playing live so much these days.  

I've broken my patches out into 3 distinct setlist:  "Pedals", "4CM" and "Direct".  Mostly I want to make sure that I can *never* accidentally jump to a patch that won't work with the rig I'm using.   E.g., switching to a 4CM patch while you're hooked up to a PA could *really* hurt some people's ears!

It think that an alternate potential Helix feature could really help - "favorite" models.  If I could save an amp, cab or pedal as a favorite and when it's changed in one patch, all other patches with the modelled component are updated.  That way you could have 4CM patches and direct patches that shared effects settings.  Of course, this could be too much for a lot of users to deal with though, with unexpected side-effects and confusion.... 

Here's an possible here-and-now solution  - I'm not %100 sure how well it will work, but I'm going to try it out.   Set up your patches with paths A and B - where B has your modelled amps and cabs in it.   Make sure you allow both paths to operate in parallel.  At the end of the chain, route one path to the XLR outputs and the other to the 1/4 outputs.  One drawback is that your post-amp or post-insert effects would have to be duplicated for each path, and would use up more processing power - but I think it really could provide you with less fuss on stage. 

Hope this helps!