Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

One last debate(I hope), before I get final decision

hag01

First of all, I want to apologize if I'm flooding the forum, I have to decide until tuesday if I'm buying the Pod HD500X.

I barely slept for 3 nights because of this, I'm investigating this piece of equipment all over the internet day and night, reading and listening to demos.

And here is the thing that bothering me:

This amp modeling technolagy supposed to sound like real tube amps, not to invent new sounds.

I mean, they even sell it as a mimic of some specific famous tube amps, and let you know exactly what brand and the model they trying to mimic.

But after hours of listening to demos and comparisons, I didn't find the Pod sounds like the models it tries to mimic, at all.

I did not found even one recording that the sound was really the same or almost the same.

I also listened to other amp modelers to get a perspective, I have found that the Helix sounds really close to the real deal, but it's not in my budget anyway.

So, what do you think about all that?

I was on the same situation as you a few years ago when the POD XT LIVE came out, and now I am a happy user of a POD HD500x and use both of them! I was thinking a few months ago in replacing my HD500x for a Helix, but personally (just me) as far as sound/modelling is, I could not find a big difference (The led colors/labels, more DSP, etc is ok... but will not improve my tone exponentially). It takes time to know your POD and find the sound you want...but once you know how to do it, everything that you have in mind can be achieved. Another thing that you should be aware is how you will connect your POD once you have it. For example, I use only the 4 cable method and make some combinations between my real AMP and the modeled AMPs of the POD. In real life people use no more than 1-3 AMPS, I cannot think of an artist with more than 5 AMPS behind him...making the change for every song, so probably you will find an AMP that works good for you, and you will make only small modifications... like cab, drive, EQ, etc. 

• Upvote 1

I agree, it doesn't really sound like "the real deal" in every case, though, if you spend enough time tweaking it, on YOUR system, you MIGHT be able to get close. But, unless you actually OWN the real deal, how can you know? And, unless you know what post processing was done on the recordings you're comparing it to, how can you expect any other result?

You're right, the Helix sounds better, that's why I sold my HD. But the fact is, the Helix only sounds like the real deal after you spend a bunch of time tweaking on YOUR system, to sound like what YOU THINK the real deal sounds like.

However, since you can't afford a Helix, you certainly can't afford the other competitors, so the POD HD is the best bang for the buck you can get. The bottom line: can you make sounds that are pleasing to YOU, never mind the real deal. Unless you're a recording engineer trying to mimic a specific sound EXACTLY, who cares. Even if you're in a cover band trying to sound just like Joe Superstar, 1 - consider that LOTS of people have been using the POD for just that, and 2 - the audience won't notice, as long as you get "close enough for Rock'n'Roll".

If it sounds good, ROCK IT!

• Upvote 1

Chill man! If it was the Helix I'd understand; the HD is a no brainer for how little it costs. Versatile, comprehensive & sounds good!

IT WON"T SOUND LIKE PLAYING INTO A TUBE AMP IN A ROOM unless you are 4CM into one.

If all you got is some hifi headphones: It will sound like a mic'd amp you are monitoring in the studio.

If you want the real tube amp sound; buy a real tube amp. You might still be disappointed. Did you get the right one! If you want the real FX sound buy the real FX. It will sound better. 

Dont expect a real valve sound out of any emulation device.

If you are loosing sleep over it buy the real thing. From what you have written it is important to you.

It is a compromise using a modeller. period. But you get about 30 or so amps and cabs and about 100 FX.

It is virtually like having access to a big music shops amps and pedal cabinet. Yes it will take ages!

If you cant get a good sound out it buy a trumpet.

• Upvote 2

I just got my HD500x today, and I already love it. I'm a bit of a pedal snob and have always preferred to use individual stomp boxes. The truth is my taste is well above my budget (like most of us). My delay pedal recently crapped out and I had to make a decision. It was either replace it along with a few others, or try the Line 6. Well so far I'm more than impressed. There are so many effects and amp models at my disposal I couldn't possibly come close without lighting my credit card on fire. I also took playing out into consideration and how easy it would be to lug this around rather than build a pedalboard and all the hassle that goes with it. I've already tweaked a couple stock patches to my liking and plan on creating more. Plus there's a looper and tuner built in. Can't really go wrong with the price either. That said, I waffled for a couple weeks over buying this thing and I'm really glad I did.

To say it is "exact" would be a lie simply because it is impossible to make something exact unless all things are equal. 

Listen to a cell video of Slash's rig. It doesn't sound like it sounds in person -which doesn't sound like it does on record -which doesn't sound like it sounds over the PA at a concert. Each situation will make it sound different.

To say that a computerized tone will sound the same over a set of $2 headphones as a $3,000 half stack will sound smacking you in the face... 

But, I bet that you if you listened to a song on the radio that you wouldn't be able to tell which was a tube amp, solid state amp, little pignose amp, modeler, or keyboard. 

• Upvote 1

I have to clarify myself, videos like that was my indication:

And I also verified by those videos that the Helix capable to produce more or less the same sounds as Kemper amps.
But maybe those videos are not a good indication, I don't have an actual sound tech knowledge, maybe my point of view is wrong, and you can explain me why.
There are people here with better understanding and more sound tech knowledge.

Anyone who says that the $3000 models (kemper, axe, etc) are better than the $500 model ---- DUH 

But sometimes it boils down to what you need. If you want to be able to have a simulated Marshall, fine. But if you want to simulate removing the tubes and replacing them with a different model of tubes --- then you need to spend the money on a unit that allows for that. Do you often buy guitar amps and then replace the 3rd circuit diode from XYZ Corp with one from 123Corp because you like the zingy zest that the one from 123Corp offers when compared to the glistening grandeur of the one from XYZ Corp?

So, then, why the need to pay more for a synthetic unit that does allows you to do it.

Plus, let's face it. You don't have the cash to spend on a Kemper.

A lot of people don't. That is why $800 Chinese Epiphones outsell the $12,000 USA Gibsons. 

Anyone who says that the $3000 models (kemper, axe, etc) are better than the $500 model ---- DUH 

But sometimes it boils down to what you need. If you want to be able to have a simulated Marshall, fine. But if you want to simulate removing the tubes and replacing them with a different model of tubes --- then you need to spend the money on a unit that allows for that. Do you often buy guitar amps and then replace the 3rd circuit diode from XYZ Corp with one from 123Corp because you like the zingy zest that the one from 123Corp offers when compared to the glistening grandeur of the one from XYZ Corp?

So, then, why the need to pay more for a synthetic unit that does allows you to do it.

Plus, let's face it. You don't have the cash to spend on a Kemper.

A lot of people don't. That is why $800 Chinese Epiphones outsell the $12,000 USA Gibsons. 

NO NO NO! If you're going to start replacing parts, you must get them from ACME!

wile-e-coyote-acme-products-catalog.jpg

It is not a life and death issue is it?   If you get the wrong unit it is not like you went under the scapel and it cant be undone;you can resell it and try out different unit. Better yet demo your shortlist for yourself using your own headphones.

If is more about your purchasing decision then just answer this question.

What device will give you more cred? 

Buy that one no matter how much. Just get it.

Approval from others shows a lack of responsibility and indecision is an insanity.

The only cure is make a decision, any decision even the wrong one is better then the

madness you are putting yourself and us thru. LOL 

It is like trying to help a bum on the street, you might do one or two things to help him out but after a while

you realize "this guy cant be helped" ? He certainly cant help himself!

He is likely to be the fellow who blames you for making the decision for him-no responsibility.

Don't be that bum. LOL

You decide you are going to make the decision and make your  decision.

The Helix is obviously a better unit to buy if you can afford it buy it. The HD 500's are great there's loads of flexibility with sound and it's down to how you decide what sounds right for you so you need to spend some time to form your sounds. IMHO you won't get a better piece of kit for the money . The only issue you will find with Line 6 is the back up service is pretty poor, if your unit breaks down you will struggle to find a repair shop if you are in the UK , My HD 500 board has just gone and I have to right it off because the cost of a new board is more than the pedal is worth. despite this I'm sticking with them because they work well for me . All kinds of factors come into sound , I think in the end you pay your money and take your chance and as a previous responder said if it doesn't work out sell it.

I barely slept for 3 nights because of this, I'm investigating this piece of equipment all over the internet day and night, reading and listening to demos.

So, what do you think about all that?

I think some people spend less time and fewer sleepless nights debating cancer treatment options...the fate of humanity is not hanging in the balance here.

If you don't like what you've heard, then why even consider spending money on it? Some who've been convinced that the POD is the unit for them by those very same videos that you think are unconvincing, have lots of trouble reproducing those results when they get one in their hands...and they LIKED what they heard.

Buying something that you've pre-judged to have failed in its primary mission to replicate specific amps, virtually guarantees disappointment.

Never make a purchase that you have to talk yourself into. It never works out. I'd look elsewhere if I were you...

• Upvote 1

I agree with cruisinon, there are more serious issues going on in the world.

I appreciate that buying a POD HD is a big decision, and a fair chunk of money, but compare it to what you would spend on a guitar or an amp.

I would ask how you are listening to the video clips and how you are listening to the "reference material". Be scientific about it. Make sure you listen to the video & audio clips with the same equipment that you're using to listen to the reference material.

If you're listening to the video's on laptop speakers, then the sound isn't going to be as high quality if you listen to the reference material on a dedicated audio system.

Before I bought my HD500x, I too did a fair amount of research into the available units, though I admit to being very skeptical about video & audio clips demonstrating equipment, was it captured using top quality audio equipment, or just the mic of the video camera? My search kept bringing me back to the HD500x, so I bought one. I am very happy that I did.

If you are so undecided that you are losing sleep over the issue, then I would suggest that you visit your local music retailer(s) and try the HD out there.

This is a simple debate.  PODHD 500 for $500 bucks and it sounds great.  Helix, Kemper, AXE cost $1500 to $3200 and sound better but PODHD is more than good enough.  Duh.

But I guess we are all Master Debaters.  I know I Master Debate everyday...

This is a simple debate.  PODHD 500 for $500 bucks and it sounds great.  Helix, Kemper, AXE cost $1500 to $3200 and sound better but PODHD is more than good enough.  Duh.

But I guess we are all Master Debaters.  I know I Master Debate everyday...

Lol. Too much info!

Guys, relax.

I already bought the POD HD500X.

After the all my previous questions I already knew it's the best I can afford.

This only debate was left because a man want to believe he's got the best piece of equipment in his hands.

Also, I saw many people around the net saying there isn't much difference, one of theme even from Line 6 forums saying he regret he bought the Helix when he is already got the Pod, saying he going to sell it soon.

Also I saw here blind comparisons where people couldn't tell which is which.

But I also saw many people around the net saying the Helix is much better.

So I wasn't sure, tempted to believe the Pod is the best along with the Helix.

I assume I was mistaken, but again, it's the best I could afford anyway...

I can understand that! Congratulations Well Done and welcome to world of too many amp and effect choices!

Some of those comparison videos sound close depending what you listen to them on.

To me it was more apparent Helix had more detail, like more resolution then the HD especially the FX. The routing options; the screen; the scribble strips; parameter assignable switches; snapshots and hands free editing. Pure joy!

Would love a Helix but I cannot justify the cost. It has been many years since I was a gigging musician.

Am still learning or discovering new things about the HD even after 3 years! It still satisfies!

one of theme even from Line 6 forums saying he regret he bought the Helix when he is already got the Pod, saying he going to sell it soon.

that makes total sense. people buying one device after another... 

The divorce rate is more the half for the same reason. There's always a newer model around the corner. 

Congrats, now the real work begins........How are you going to amplify?  4 cable, dream rig, foh....There are so many variables.........Good luck trying to get that tone exact.............Please don't tell me we will need another round of Master Debating.....

• Upvote 1

Guys, relax.
I already bought the POD HD500X.
After the all my previous questions I already knew it's the best I can afford.
This only debate was left because a man want to believe he's got the best piece of equipment in his hands.
Also, I saw many people around the net saying there isn't much difference, one of theme even from Line 6 forums saying he regret he bought the Helix when he is already got the Pod, saying he going to sell it soon.
Also I saw here blind comparisons where people couldn't tell which is which.
But I also saw many people around the net saying the Helix is much better.
So I wasn't sure, tempted to believe the Pod is the best along with the Helix.
I assume I was mistaken, but again, it's the best I could afford anyway...

I would say you made the right decision. The Helix appears to be easier to dial in tones and it does sound better BUT I would say it doesn't sound $1,000 better and for the money, the HD500 is definitely as good as you're going to get.