Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie Help

chicago43055

I just checked my new JTV was updated to the latest Firmware .I followed this off the 'Line 6 Variax Facebook user group', very helpful people on there.

It's pretty easy. Connect your guitar with the VDI cable to the PC/USB box, then connect a standard guitar cable (this activates the variax link). Launch the Monkey which is scanning for devices. You'll then see which firmware the guitar has and if you have available updates. If the guitar is new and/or recent, I guess it's already using latest firmware. If available, update to latest V2.21. When done you can close Monkey and launch the Workbench HD. When done you can close everything and enjoy the Variax. :)

Its sort of a pain in the lollipop ... you gotta have all the cables hooked up correctly, all the software updated correctly, AND the battery has to be charged!

I'll sure be glad when they add Workbench connectivity support to the Helix!

The reason the 1/4" cable needs to be plugged in is that the Workbench HD interface can't provide power to the Variax through the Ethernet cable like a Helix or HD500 can. You will also therefore have to have a charged battery installed or your guitar won't be powered and won't connect to Workbench HD.

Eventually Line6 will allow Helix to connect a Variax to your computer directly through the VDI cable and eliminate the Workbench HD interface and the need to use the 1/4" plug and internal battery to power the guitar. Hopefully this will be available soon as it will make it much easier to edit Variax models.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/10/2016 at 5:59 PM, amsdenj said:

Eventually Line6 will allow Helix to connect a Variax to your computer directly through the VDI cable and eliminate the Workbench HD interface and the need to use the 1/4" plug and internal battery to power the guitar. Hopefully this will be available soon as it will make it much easier to edit Variax models.

Yes, hopefully soon! But when????!!!!!!

Doh! I knew that. I just read your post too quickly, and was thinking it simply said "connect a Variax to your computer directly through the VDI cable". No Helix or interface in between. In other words, jack that cable straight into your computer's Ethernet port. No dongle, no USB.

THAT's what I was dreaming of. Hey, it's a data guitar, a data port and a data cable. Would it not be possible in some alternate universe? I don't like the ding dang dongle.

• 3 months later...