Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshot Program changes

ThreeDogNate

So I've got a Helix and an EVH 5150 III combo. Just got the combo and figured out how to do Program Changes to change channel on the EVH (Via Program change) that's fine I know how to set that up for Instant foot switches via the command center. Wha t I cannot figure out is how to make Program changes with my Snapshots.

Any insight in how to send say a Program change one MIDI Channel 2  when selecting snapshots so that I can select the correct amp channel with my snapshot?

Snapshots much to my surprise dont offer as much flexibility as i hoped. You can really only turn unwanted/wanted fx off and on. You cant automate levels, or remove/add fx, so i wouldnt be surprised if you were asking it to do more than its capable of. I dont know for sure, just giving you a heads up.

• Downvote 1

You certainly can change the levels, drives, etc. any parameters just push the knob est turn it. After this initial change any of the 8 snapshot can have a different vue of said parameter(s). All the instant midi message in the command center are associated a specific snapshot. So, no there is very little limitations.

• Upvote 2

You certainly can change the levels, drives, etc. any parameters just push the knob est turn it. After this initial change any of the 8 snapshot can have a different vue of said parameter(s). All the instant midi message in the command center are associated a specific snapshot. So, no there is very little limitations.

I'm not sure that you actually offered me anything useful in your post. Right now I have my amp setup to switch channels on PC 1, 2, 3 for channels 1,2 3 respectively on MIDI Ch 2.

So walk me through setting up a preset...because what I expected to work with a snapshot did not... (Remember that I'm not using MIDI CC, My Amp doesn't respont to CC changes for channel switching, only PC changes.)

MIDI Program Change #1 (CH2) On snapshot 1,

MIDI Program Change #2 (CH2) on Snapshot 2, 

MIDI Program Change #2 (CH2) on Snapshot 3, 

Ok maybe not from the editor then....Unless mine is bugged. because increasing drive level for snapshot #1 increases drive level for all snapshots..or treble, middle, or any of them.

Ok maybe not from the editor then....Unless mine is bugged. because increasing drive level for snapshot #1 increases drive level for all snapshots..or treble, middle, or any of them.

I never use the editor but at the Helix, when you push 1 of the 8 knobs, brackets around the value appears and that is the value for that snapshot. You need to save the patch right away. Then go to any other snapshot and the bracket is still there, meaning taht the parameter is assign to the "snapshot" controller. Any value you set at this other snapshot has to be saved as well by saving the pacht again. 

I'm not sure that you actually offered me anything useful in your post. Right now I have my amp setup to switch channels on PC 1, 2, 3 for channels 1,2 3 respectively on MIDI Ch 2.

So walk me through setting up a preset...because what I expected to work with a snapshot did not... (Remember that I'm not using MIDI CC, My Amp doesn't respont to CC changes for channel switching, only PC changes.)

MIDI Program Change #1 (CH2) On snapshot 1,

MIDI Program Change #2 (CH2) on Snapshot 2, 

MIDI Program Change #2 (CH2) on Snapshot 3, 

Select snapshot 1 go to Command center, select one of the botl ligthning (instant MIDI command), and turn the first knob labelled "command" until hyou get to Bank/Prog. You can set the MIDI base channel 2 and Program number 1 or 2. Beware that it can be offset by one since it start at 0 but you'll figure it out. Save patch go to next snap shot and do the same thing again with a different set of parameters, etc.

Good luck

As mentioned above, you have to have parameters assigned to a control for their value to be recalled by snapshot changes. That controller can be an expression pedal, footswitch, or, if you don't need real-time manual control, a snapshot controller. Pushing and turning the knob for the value you want changing with the snapshots, sets up a snapshot controller.

Select snapshot 1 go to Command center, select one of the botl ligthning (instant MIDI command), and turn the first knob labelled "command" until hyou get to Bank/Prog. You can set the MIDI base channel 2 and Program number 1 or 2. Beware that it can be offset by one since it start at 0 but you'll figure it out. Save patch go to next snap shot and do the same thing again with a different set of parameters, etc.

Good luck

That's pretty much what i did to start with... but was using a switch instead of a lightning bolt. :) thanks

Snapshots much to my surprise dont offer as much flexibility as i hoped. You can really only turn unwanted/wanted fx off and on. You cant automate levels, or remove/add fx, so i wouldnt be surprised if you were asking it to do more than its capable of. I dont know for sure, just giving you a heads up.

Imagine a real pedalboard in the real world. That's your preset. The snapshot is a preset of the knob settings and FX ON/OFF state.

• 6 months later...

Is there a video showing how to tweak a  preset to have channel green in snapshot 1, channel blue in snapshot 2, channel red in snapshot 3 ? I've followed all the guidelines and watched a few videos already but nothing works with my EVH III 50 W.

Is there a video showing how to tweak a  preset to have channel green in snapshot 1, channel blue in snapshot 2, channel red in snapshot 3 ? I've followed all the guidelines and watched a few videos already but nothing works with my EVH III 50 W.

This video is very helpful for setting up MIDI amp channel switching. It is a particularly useful method if you don't know the MIDI codes for each channel of the amp.

Instructions for changing snapshot color:

Snapshot footswitch LED color—You can now choose a color for each snapshot footswitch. Press the PRESETS knob and then Knob 6 (Rename Snapshot). Turn knob 5 (LED Color) to select the desired color. â€œAuto Color†is the default red. NOTE: There is currently no way to set snapshot footswitch color from the Helix application.

Thanks for the video ! I'll test that today. I also remember I saw a video with a EVH III 50 watts but can't remember the name on youtube... However if that one works it won't be necessary

Thanks for the video ! I'll test that today. I also remember I saw a video with a EVH III 50 watts but can't remember the name on youtube... However if that one works it won't be necessary

Good luck! I think that video has proven to be fairly universal as if I remember correctly the method employed does not rely on you having to know the CC messages specific to your amplifier.

• 1 month later...

This video is very helpful for setting up MIDI amp channel switching. It is a particularly useful method if you don't know the MIDI codes for each channel of the amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIF1Z7ggGm4

Instructions for changing snapshot color:

Snapshot footswitch LED color—You can now choose a color for each snapshot footswitch. Press the PRESETS knob and then Knob 6 (Rename Snapshot). Turn knob 5 (LED Color) to select the desired color. â€œAuto Color†is the default red. NOTE: There is currently no way to set snapshot footswitch color from the Helix application.

Thank you for posting that video!! I was having trouble with assigning my 5150iii's channels to different snapshots using midi and the Helix's INSTANT commands and the work-around in the video worked perfectly.

Side note: The snapshot upgrade completely changed the way I had set up my Helix. This is excellent. We'll done Line 6.

Thank you for posting that video!! I was having trouble with assigning my 5150iii's channels to different snapshots using midi and the Helix's INSTANT commands and the work-around in the video worked perfectly.

Side note: The snapshot upgrade completely changed the way I had set up my Helix. This is excellent. We'll done Line 6.

:)

• 4 years later...

I had midi messages sending out of snapshots changing programs on my Roland ve-500 and even using expression pedal to bring a harmony in but now it’s randomly not saving after I have programmed it. Sometimes it does amd sometimes it doesn’t. 
is there a video showing program change midi sending from snapshots?