Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording in ProTools / Logic

musicimpossible

This is an intriguing amp. Some questions,

1) are the IR's / amp sims (whatever you want to call them) similar or in some case the exact same as those in the HELIX?

2) Would it be possible to record straight into ProTools via the USB? If so, what speaker sims are used?

3) would it be possible to record USB into Pro Tools AND record a simultaneous track via micing the Speaker?

• 6 months later...

musicimpossible, did you ever figure out #2? I have my Spider 5 connected to my PC, but I can't get the input to show up on Pro Tools.

Have you installed the drivers for Spider V on your PC? Also make sure Spider V is up to date with firmware.

You can navigate and find the drivers from here: http://line6.com/software/

Have you installed the drivers for Spider V on your PC? Also make sure Spider V is up to date with firmware.

You can navigate and find the drivers from here: http://line6.com/software/

Yes, I have done that. I'm running Windows 10 and Pro Tools 12. When my Spider V 240 is connected via the USB B port on the back to my PC, audio from my PC plays out of the 240, but I can't get Pro Tools to recognize the 240 as an input source.

Thank you for your time and assistance, by the way. :)

Yes, I have done that. I'm running Windows 10 and Pro Tools 12. When my Spider V 240 is connected via the USB B port on the back to my PC, audio from my PC plays out of the 240, but I can't get Pro Tools to recognize the 240 as an input source.

Thank you for your time and assistance, by the way. :)

I'm a mac guy so unfortunately I haven't tested Spider V with a PC. Is there another USB port you can try?

There are multiple USB ports, but they are all the same.

Unless you are 100% sure it would be worth trying the other USB ports. As I mentioned, I'm a mac user so I don't have experience troubleshooting Spider V with a PC. Hopefully another user who does can chime in.

Unless you are 100% sure it would be worth trying the other USB ports. As I mentioned, I'm a mac user so I don't have experience troubleshooting Spider V with a PC. Hopefully another user who does can chime in.

I've actually tried the others, but I knew it wouldn't make a difference.

Thanks for taking the time to try to assist. :)

• Downvote 1

Did you try the updater to update the firmware? Does the updater sees the amp? If the updater does see the amp and the update works fine, the you know the cable, the amp and the USB port are ok.

If you have installed.the ASIO driver the the problem might be in the setup of Pro Tool.

• 1 month later...

I wish a Line 6 rep would step in an answer this question. I'm also disappointed that there is no user manual beyond the little 7-page pamphlet that came with the amp. :(

I got a 120, Windows 10, able to connect via USB, and record with Pro Tools.  

I know this seems obvious but make sure you setup the playback engine accordingly.  I've attached a screen shot for reference.  Also, make sure you've updated your Spider V to the latest firmware and that you got the latest Spider V ASIO driver installed.

I do remember having to reboot Pro Tools after changing my playback engine settings from Helix to Spider V.  I may have done something out of order, but I eventually got it to work.  

Hope this helps.

post-982518-0-17078300-1497734308_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

I got a 120, Windows 10, able to connect via USB, and record with Pro Tools.  

I know this seems obvious but make sure you setup the playback engine accordingly.  I've attached a screen shot for reference.  Also, make sure you've updated your Spider V to the latest firmware and that you got the latest Spider V ASIO driver installed.

I do remember having to reboot Pro Tools after changing my playback engine settings from Helix to Spider V.  I may have done something out of order, but I eventually got it to work.  

Hope this helps.

YAAAASSSSSS!!!!! That works!!! I made sure I had the latest update for my Spider V, and reloaded the most current driver. Then I changed the Playback Engine in ProTools to Spider. I was then able to record from the amp into my computer and onto a PT track with a clean signal. (I had been trying to get this to work because I was getting crackling and popping when I tried to record guitar through my Mbox interface. Fortunately, I don't have the crackle/pop issue when I record from my V Drums through the MBox into ProTools.)

A minor bug with this fix was that all the ProTools audio played through my Spider. The sound output on my computer was set for the MBox, so I switched it to the headphone output on my computer, but the sound continued to come through the Spider. So, after recording my guitar track, I switched the Playback Engine in ProTools back to my MBox, and everything played again through my monitors. I will take this hassle over the frustration the crackle/pop was causing me.

Thanks for the assistance!

• 3 months later...

YAAAASSSSSS!!!!! That works!!! I made sure I had the latest update for my Spider V, and reloaded the most current driver. Then I changed the Playback Engine in ProTools to Spider. I was then able to record from the amp into my computer and onto a PT track with a clean signal. (I had been trying to get this to work because I was getting crackling and popping when I tried to record guitar through my Mbox interface. Fortunately, I don't have the crackle/pop issue when I record from my V Drums through the MBox into ProTools.)

A minor bug with this fix was that all the ProTools audio played through my Spider. The sound output on my computer was set for the MBox, so I switched it to the headphone output on my computer, but the sound continued to come through the Spider. So, after recording my guitar track, I switched the Playback Engine in ProTools back to my MBox, and everything played again through my monitors. I will take this hassle over the frustration the crackle/pop was causing me.

Thanks for the assistance!

THANK YOU FOR THIS POST!!!  YOU ALL HELPED ME VERY MUCH!!!