Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I create feedback without speakers?

mileskb

Yes, you can. Using one of the FX loops, put a patch cable from the send to the return. In your patch, have the FX return come before the FX send. To simulate what happens in an analog setting, have the FX return as the first in the chain, and the FX send as the last. You'll need to play around with the mix and send/return levels to get just the right amount of feedback.

And you probably also want to use a footswitch to trigger when you want feedback by bypassing/activating the FX return block.

• Upvote 2

Yes, you can. Using one of the FX loops, put a patch cable from the send to the return. In your patch, have the FX return come before the FX send. To simulate what happens in an analog setting, have the FX return as the first in the chain, and the FX send as the last. You'll need to play around with the mix and send/return levels to get just the right amount of feedback.

And you probably also want to use a footswitch to trigger when you want feedback by bypassing/activating the FX return block.

That is one bada$$ little trick!

there is a trick with the volume/controller pedal too i used to do on my pod xtlive that has a feedback type sound and is usable in some instances.. i cant remember the exact procedure but what you want to do is to load a pitch effect with an octave higer setting and then control the dry/wet mix with the control pedal.. hit a 'dry' note then slowly push the pedal down to take the mix blend to full wet- 1 octave higher .. it'll sound quite like feedback (remember-you aren't changing the pitch with the pedal, just the blend from dry to wet)

• Upvote 1

Well if this was a prank... ya GOT ME !!!  LOL..   If you are serious...  could you send me a preset that you setup to work?

All I was able to achieve was electronic squeal...  nothing resembling feedback.

I did come close to a feedback sound on some of Glenn's presets if I hit the right note, usually a harmonic, it seemed like the reverb was holding the note for a long long long time.... and as the rest of the signal faded away, it sounded like feedback.  

I'm thinking there is some way to take the reverb and maybe something else...    I mean ya can get Organ sounds out of this thing, it seems like a feedback-esque tone could be achieved.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/2455676/

Might be a useful starting point...

Ok.. now THAT is pretty cool.  I just messed with it a few minutes...  the IR selected has a dramatic affect on the outcome... While you can't be "spontaneous" with the feedback, it's pretty controllable and pretty useful.   In fact I have already recommended it to someone else and that was after just playing with it for about 5 minutes.

Thanks !!!!

• Upvote 1

Ok.. now THAT is pretty cool.  I just messed with it a few minutes...  the IR selected has a dramatic affect on the outcome... While you can't be "spontaneous" with the feedback, it's pretty controllable and pretty useful.   In fact I have already recommended it to someone else and that was after just playing with it for about 5 minutes.

Thanks !!!!

Cool, glad it's useful :-)

E-Bow has a harmonic mode that passes as a pretty authentic feedback sound, though is finicky to use.  Here's a sample I did with it - first 10 seconds or so and then again at around the 2:50 mark:

https://soundcloud.com/user-22828532/x-36-90

I'd love to have a feedbacker simulator within the Helix itself controlled by the expression pedal.

I quickly tried the patch cable thing, and while you could control the influx of feedback via an expression pedal, the type of feedback this provides is mostly of the unwanted, unmusical kind. The annoying kind that comes from a microphone that someone is trying to talk from.

I use the pitch block type of feedback, the kind that the patch mentioned in this thread has, on a couple of my songs. It works pretty well, and can be musical, but it's not really the same thing as true feedback. It can only get close, depending on what's being played. A personal preference of mine for this patch is to set the maximum mix to around 70%, otherwise the effect becomes too exaggerated. Adding a bit of phaser in the mix, controlled by the same expression controller as the pitch block, can help with the dryness, and take away some of the artificial/chipmunk quality.

Another idea to improve the patch is to assign the interval parameter from the pitch block to snapshots. This way you could get different flavors of feedback.

I was researching (still haven't tried the patch cable trick) and I found this...    www.vibesware.com     its a guitar resonator..looks like it might work like an ebow on a stand.   maybe an ebow would work somehow.  more research is required, but this is fascinating!!  rock on!

Now that's cool, like a Sustainiac setup you can move, and that's not part of or mounted on one guitar. Aside from cost and a bit of setup hassle, why *wouldn't* you want to have those options available? Sounds great too, really organic, because it is, just magnetic feedback instead of acoustic.