Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Acoustic sound : Helix + JTV vs Helix + piezo guitar + 3sigma IR

roscoe5

Need some quick opinions on acoustic sounds...I found good deals locally for both a Godin LGX mag/piezo guitar and a Line 6 JTV-69...$600 for either.

Which would yeild better acoustic guitar sounds...JTV HD gen acoustic guitar models or the Godin piezo signal through the 3sigma acoustic IRs?

FYI, I owned a JTV59 previously with my POD HD and never liked the electric guitar modeling, only the acoustic. So to me the additional JTV electric guitar models are irrelevant.

And from what I understand, you can't just pass the dry Variax piezo signal into Helix to run through an acoustic IR.

I would go for the Variax. It actually uses acoustic models whereas the Godin (I have one) is merely a piezo with a Preamp. No contest. The Variax does a lot to mitigate the quackiness of the piezo saddles and is really only most apparent when you strum hard. It would be nice if piezo preamps had a dedicated mulitband compressor built in. One designed to clamp down on specific frequencies that exceed a specific threshold. I really believe that this is the answer but for now, I think the Variax is the best option.

Thanks for the reply. I do recal my old JTV59 acoustics sounds being good. But the clips I've heard of 3sigma acoustic IRs sound great too.

Ive been researching more on JTV. Man, I can't believe it came out in 2010. It also looks like you can't pass the dry piezo signal through to Helix to allow you to use acoustic IRs optionally.

Thanks for the reply. I do recal my old JTV59 acoustics sounds being good. But the clips I've heard of 3sigma acoustic IRs sound great too.

Ive been researching more on JTV. Man, I can't believe it came out in 2010. It also looks like you can't pass the dry piezo signal through to Helix to allow you to use acoustic IRs optionally.

Sure, man.  Yeah, it's true about the Variax.  You cannot bypass the modeling and just get the straight Piezo sound.

I've have no experience with the JTV but I will say my Godin LGXT sounds great with the Taylor Earthworks IR. I'm hoping in the near future to pick up the 3 Sigma IRs as the demos online sound amazing but unfortunately I just moved and still have to put my studio back together.

Honestly either way you go, your should be able to put together a solid "acoustic" patch.

I have a Variax 300, Standard and 700 Acoustic. And I use a Martin 00C with a piezo pickup into Helix with the 3sigma acoustic IRs. To my ears the tone an flexibility in priority order would be: 1-Variax 700 Acoustic, and it plays like an acoustic, 2-3sigma Its with almost any piezo pickup, Variax 300 acoustic, Variax Standard (and JVT, it has the same models). 

The models in the Variax 700 acoustic are pretty nice, and are always dependable. And since it is an acoustic guitar, it feels and plays like an acoustic, something that is necessary for any significant acoustic playing.

The 3sigma IRs are quite good, as are others that are available. These are worth giving a try for your application.

My real disappointment is in the Variax Standard. To me the acoustic models in this instrument are barely usable. They, as well as many of the other Variax 2.0 models, seem to have an odd resonance that makes especially the plain strings have a banjo tone that isn't pleasing.

I really wish my Variax guitars had a direct piezo out model so I could use these IRs. Please Line6, this is the simplest, most flexible thing you could do with almost no development to breathe new life into any Variax guitar and help sell more Helix units too. Don't give up on us or the Variax technology, just open it up a bit.

OK, I picked up the Variax JTV 69 HSS and going to give it a go and have some faith in Line 6. They couldn't find the battery charger, VDI cable or VDI interface and are looking for it tomorrow. I can buy a good variax cable later and maybe use a LAN cable for now.

I searched the Line 6 forums and couldn't find this and can post a separate thread. But can you operate and update variax via helix alone?

OK, I picked up the Variax JTV 69 HSS and going to give it a go and have some faith in Line 6. They couldn't find the battery charger, VDI cable or VDI interface and are looking for it tomorrow. I can buy a good variax cable later and maybe use a LAN cable for now.

I searched the Line 6 forums and couldn't find this and can post a separate thread. But can you operate and update variax via helix alone?

Check the other thread you started -

http://line6.com/support/topic/23314-jtv-variax-controlpowerupdate-through-helix/?do=findComment&comment=177263

I think the answer is no - unless you have access to an older POD model which can be used as an interface for the Variax.

Note: IIRC, Line 6 do not recommend the use of an Ethernet cable as a substitute for the VDI cable. May be some sort of Voodoo going on in there because other folks seem to have use LAN cables with no issues! Use at your own risk. What I don't understand is, if the Variax you bought is an ex-display model (BNIB?), then the guys in the shop should have just opened another box and given you the missing bits. If it's a trade-in, then I guess they have you there!

I think either would work well. I think it's more important to get the guitar that is going to inspire you more otherwise.

My luck with Godins has been exceptional. I've had 3. All amazing. Never used them with an IR, got rid of them too long ago.

Well I am picking up the Variax JTV 69 this weekend. Thanks for the input all.

Totally off topic, but I stumbled across some videos on the Variax 700 in my research on JTV acoustic sounds and DANG that sounds good. Seems even better than JTV on the acoustic models. And the bass on the E and A strings mode is AWESOME!!!!!

I wouldn't mid grabbing one of those too if I ever find one.

Line 6 do not recommend an Cat 5 or 6 ethernet cable, not because it doesn't make the electrical connection, but rather because ethernet connections are designed for static equipment - the sockets are not designed to have the cable jerked around and certainly not have any significant force applied.  If you connect your floor unit to you guitar and forget and walk away pulling the cable with the force of your body then you will almost certainly break the connector at one or both ends, which means broken variax or broken helix... and it would be your fault so no warranty.  

Ethercon cables, which is what VDI is, have a the same metal shield around them that is used for XLR mic cables (designed to take a lot of abuse) and also remove the little plastic locking clip on the ethernet cables that might make removing the cable difficult.