Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Touring artist after only 3 days with his new Helix.

mileskb

Hah, never heard of the guy, and can't listen to the whole thing now, but the first bits are some righteous doo-dah! Didn't know BOC sounded anything like that first clip either, guess they haven't been asleep since I last checked them out. Cool beans...

Interesting video. But Wow... three days in and he's already bought IRs? I have to say that really surprised me. I know that some people aren't happy with the Cabs in the Helix, but it seems a bit premature to buy some IRs right out of the gate.

Caveat - I'm still rocking the HD500X and haven't pulled the trigger yet on the Helix, so what the hell do I know. ;)

Interesting video. But Wow... three days in and he's already bought IRs? I have to say that really surprised me. I know that some people aren't happy with the Cabs in the Helix, but it seems a bit premature to buy some IRs right out of the gate.

Caveat - I'm still rocking the HD500X and haven't pulled the trigger yet on the Helix, so what the hell do I know. ;)

I suspect he's probably already had a lot of experience in using IR's.  Plus he seems to be very particular about the placement (which I don't blame him on that).  The Helix cabs only allow you to modify distance which sometimes isn't enough.

Hehe, when getting the Helix I already had a bunch of commercial IR's that I used with my HD500 when recording. (HD500 with cabs disabled -> audio interface -> Cubase -> IR plugin) Recording with impulse responses really took the HD500 further. 

When I got the Helix, I bought the Heavy Hitters IR pack from OwnHammer (The guy in the video seems to be using OwnHammer IRs too), and I'm almost exclusively using those IRs on my own patches ever since.

I kinda knew I would go the IR way even before getting the Helix, from what I saw and heard from videos online beforehand. I know there is alot of discussion about this subject, but I think good IRs still beats the stock cabs in Helix. 

I can't figure out how he has time to do this stuff.  Between touring 100+ gigs per year with BOC he also has his Band Geek podcast http://www.riotcast.com/bandgeek (shamless plug for a friend) AND he still has time to practice, learn how to use a new piece of gear and put a couple videos up about it.

TWO things that really stuck out for me that for some reason I just didn't understand how to do before are:

1.  The Stand-Up-And-Edit parameters.  I of course knew about the touch, but to be able to adjust a parameter mid stream without getting on my knees is really special.

2.  The other was that while I knew you could turn multiple things on and off with the switches, and I guess I knew you could adjust parameters with a footswitch, I didn't realize you could toggle multiple parameters of an effect with single switch.   WHile he uses it on the Distortion to add gain while cutting tone, I could think of situations like using it on an AMP block to toggle between to sets of settings for Boost and Mid's and Presence.  

I'll be looking forward to seeing how he manages the larger stages.  They have a pretty high stage volume still these days, and a LOT of real estate to cover.  I'm curious if the wedge is going to be enough.   But I guess, in contrast... a wedge that might be out-of-hearing-distance sometimes is a lot better than some piece of rented gear that should have been pulled out of service long ago.

Pull the trigger just make sure the gun is pointed at the POD. 

This is so cool! I have been a fan of the Blue Oyster Cult since I was a teenager and here is one of their talented lead guitarists demoing the Helix. You gotta love it!  How can you not like a band with a guitarist who took the appellation "Buck Dharma"; one of the greatest stage names ever and this is the guy who trades licks with him in performance. Rock on!  :)

• Upvote 1

Mileskb, Thanks for sharing the Vid link. Richie's explanation and use of Foot Edit Mode is the best I've seen!

That really was one of the motivating reasons to post it.   I hadn't seen an actual "in context" demo before of the edit mode although I heard reference to it.

If the Helix has one fault...  it's that you really can't give a "quick description" of it that does any justice.  

Well, 3 days in, IR's in the box and getting a heck of a lot out of the Helix in a very short period of time... pretty impressive

The thing that grabbed my attention in that video is the high cut at 4.2kHz on the IR block.  That is an extreme cut but he still had good tones coming through.  I usually run my cut on the Ownhammer IR's around 6.5 but and never thought to go lower.  I may have to give it a try.  :-) I wish i new what the rolloff curve/slope was on the cuts. It must be a pretty gradual cut if he can go as low as 4.2 and still have it sound good.

The thing that grabbed my attention in that video is the high cut at 4.2kHz on the IR block.  That is an extreme cut but he still had good tones coming through.  I usually run my cut on the Ownhammer IR's around 6.5 but and never thought to go lower.  I may have to give it a try.  :-) I wish i new what the rolloff curve/slope was on the cuts. It must be a pretty gradual cut if he can go as low as 4.2 and still have it sound good.

From the sound of it, I'm guessing it's 6dB per octave. If so that means that, set at 4.2kHz, the signal would be 3dB down at 4.2kHz and 9dB down at 8.4k.

That stood out for me as well. I have noticed that "sminch", the guy who does those great videos and has "The Helix Channel" (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpJrfCxQmio6zyjut4n0qRw),  has it set around that range on a few of his videos as well. I have experimented with it there and it can sound good on some bright presets although I generally tend to run my cuts a bit higher, around the 5-8khz range so the guitar can cut through once the drums and keyboards get rolling.

So was he in that recent live rendering of Agents of Fortune?? I do not recall seeing him. Only one I know is Dharma who is a first rate guitarist.

I was wondering who the cat is that sings some and holds a guitar and seems like he cannot play or is it they want Don/Buck to handle the main tones??

Love that guys lead tone and technique. Jetter Purple Drive and Amptweaker Tight Drive, plus the amps of course. 

The song writing talent on Don't Fear the Reaper is just amazing, the stops, the dynamic return to refrain, hugely effective song writing. 

"Love of two is one, here but now they're gone

The door was opened and the wind appeared

The candles blew and then disappeared

The curtains flew and he appeared...."

That's been stuck in my head for ages. 

So was he in that recent live rendering of Agents of Fortune??

Yes he was.  However he was playing a lot of keys on that as well, someone had to, and he went back and found samples of the original instruments used for post production on the Agents Of Fortune album and added them in where they were supposed to be too.  Normally, Richie plays guitar and keys.  The "other" guitar for those "40th" shows was Albert Bouchard, orginal drummer and one of the founders.   Richie actually started on Bass in 2004 and eventually switched to Guitar and Keys to fill Allen Lanier's spot on those instruments.  Eric Bloom still fronts and Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser is still lead guitar.  Jules Rondino is on drums.   While we are on a "guitars and effects" board one of my favorite lines from Eric Bloom was regarding Buck Dharma's use of effects.  He loves to try out new toys and was hyping some new piece at the time and Eric said something to the affect of.. "He's always bringing the latest gear on tour and experimenting, but his sound hasn't changed in 40 years !!!"  Guess ya had to be there... 

I have been looking forward to Riche getting the Helix because of his way of doing demo's  He has one for the Dream Rig on how to create the Brian May tone including setting up the Variax in workbench.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIxJFyLo48E    I think this is brilliant (and useful in the Helix as well) because much like the above video he doesn't just say "do this and and do that" but explains WHY to do this and WHY to do that so I actually found the approach and theory really helpful for even creating sounds in Helix too.  I hope he does some Helix Edit videos in the near future.

I have that on my DVR. will check it out again. The only song that gets me on that album though is Reaper, I would love to have heard Don do Godzilla live. So really how tall is that chap? I think he is shorter than Peter Frampton but none the less he casts a long shadow, I like how Buck's solos depart from the std expected riffing a lot. 

I have to admit I never thought of rolling down the gain on the Engl maybe a lot of tones in other amps that we normally just goto for gain levels.

I got a couple nice tips from the video. I've been using the Mesa Cali EQ a lot but I noticed he keeps boost on band two 220hz I think to flat. Would like to see the second page of the amp settings, got the first. The Global EQ I think he said was off but it was at flat 0.0 db with some q adjust not sure if that does anything. I just use it to cut the sub sonics and the ultra high end. I also rather use an EQ to trim the cab if needed as I like the response to be close to what the speaker is rated. 

Personally I have fallen in love with the Shiva with the gain down, marvelous tones you can get in that one. Have to mess with the Engl. It has come to me over not liking the on board gain stuff much that it was intended to sound right driving the amp and not so much by itself. 

I will not comment on his stature only to say that he is the epitome of a HUGE talent crammed into a small package with enough room for a big heart too.  :)   Actually I think those traits are in ALL of their job descriptions.   He was asked about his lead style I recall and he apparently played saxophone when he was a kid so there is some influence from that.  Note the octave jumps he uses a lot just like the octave pad on a sax.  

Yeah, I'm very interested to see what Richie's "page two" settings look like as well.  As you say, his approach on gain and EQ seems out of the norm, but it's obviously working well.   His playing style and his guitar play a big part too but still...  I'm intrigued.  

I think it will be interesting to see where he is with this in a few weeks or months and I will be interested to hear what their FOH engineer has to say as well.  

I could never understand how any responsible producer even considered releasing that "modern" remake of Godzilla with Matthew Broderick without using BOC's "Godzilla". What were they thinking? It would have added so much to the film score. The same thing applies with the "Iron Man" films made without Black Sabbath's "Iron Man".  Such missed opportunities. I don't know, maybe the bands did not want to license those songs but that seems unlikely. Not in the budget?

• Upvote 1

I happened on this story about him on Wikipedia. Definitely recommend watching the linked video highlighted below, sort of funny kinda, but a bunch of pros in action for sure. No fluster, no panic, just kept on doing the thing.

at the "Hawgs of Texas" Show at Somerville Lake near Brenham, Texas on April 28, 2007, Castellano demonstrated quick thinking when his bandmate Buck Dharma experienced a sudden failure of the battery pack for his Steinberger guitar (the "Cheeseberger"). Without missing a beat, he plugged into Dharma's effects unit and proceeded to play the first part of Dharma's solo, then handed his guitar over to Dharma as lead singer Eric Bloom passed his own guitar over to Castellano. Click

to see a video of this event.

I have been watching and learning from Richie for the past two days.  I did my best to create his four presets shown in the video using the Ownhammer IRs; yes I bought them :lol:.  After that I revisited my presets/snapshots and have had a great success in not only clearing up some frustration with a few of my presets, I have tamed some problem patches using the amps I like to use.  I am going to have to thank him if I ever can.  Even though he only had the unit for three days he suggests he has been blogging using the FB groups and the various Helix forums.  Given the experience he has in the music field, his previous HD500(X) experience, and the amount of time he dedicated in three days I am very thankful he shared his outcome so quickly.

And thanks to the experienced and the new Helix users in the forum for the all the dedication and work and questions which have resulted in great answers.  It DOES take a village to raise a Helix! :rolleyes:

Very cool.

Dennis

• Upvote 2