Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't update firmware (New Helix)

DavidParish

Hi all.

Received my Helix yesterday. Wow. Can't wait to have  good play with this.... let me just update the firmware from 1.04.0x to latest.......

Spent ages and didn't succeed :(

I'm on a PC with win 7 and SP1.

The loader is 1.09 (and it says a newer version is available although I'd loaded the latest version of software 2.01).

The loader sees the Helix about 20% of the time.  I then initiate an update.  It says its happening and then a screen says the Helix will reboot etc.   The helix doesn't reboot and is frozen.

This is driving me nuts.

The editor doesn't see the helix at all.

I've tried different USB ports on the PC (front and rear in case there was a difference).   I've rebooted everything multiple times. I've done an uninstall and reinstall of Helix PC software and drivers a couple of times too.  

I realise that other have had similar issues but I couldn't find a suggestion on the forum that helped me.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi all.

Received my Helix yesterday. Wow. Can't wait to have  good play with this.... let me just update the firmware from 1.04.0x to latest.......

Spent ages and didn't succeed :(

I'm on a PC with win 7 and SP1.

The loader is 1.09 (and it says a newer version is available although I'd loaded the latest version of software 2.01).

The loader sees the Helix about 20% of the time.  I then initiate an update.  It says its happening and then a screen says the Helix will reboot etc.   The helix doesn't reboot and is frozen.

This is driving me nuts.

The editor doesn't see the helix at all.

I've tried different USB ports on the PC (front and rear in case there was a difference).   I've rebooted everything multiple times. I've done an uninstall and reinstall of Helix PC software and drivers a couple of times too.  

I realise that other have had similar issues but I couldn't find a suggestion on the forum that helped me.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You seem to be on the right track and have tried many of the available troubleshooting options. If you have another PC available you may want to try that. Here are a couple of other suggestions.

1. Download the Flash file and use the updater to flash locally from your PC instead of across the net. Flash file for 2.01 on Win7 is here http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=7109
  2. Here are a variety of reset options available from the Helixhelp.com site. One of them may get you past the freeze point.   http://helixhelp.com/pmwiki.php?n=Main.ResetOptions

Try updating it in safe mode (hold footswitch 6 and 12 while you power Helix on).  I've had 1 instance where I had to attempt to load new firmware 3 times, but it finally stuck and everything is still working perfectly.

Once the update does go through, Helix will rebuild its presets, then it will still need to be globally reset after that (hold the middle two footswitches on the bottom (FS9 & 10) while you power up.  I missed that part before and spent a week "finding all sorts of new bugs".  It also kept disconnecting when I forgot to reset it after the update.

Thanks for your help everyone.  Much appreciated.

I tried a different PC, a laptop with Win8.

Got it to start uploading V2.01 firmware......(eventually)           :)

Then: "Update failed please reboot and try again"   :(

Helix boot screen is corrupt on booting and frozen.

I've tried various global reset and safe boot mode. Nothing happening.

Have raised a ticket. don't want to wait 3 days for a response.  Am very disappointed!!!  Not happy at all. 

I was blown away by the sounds of the firmware V1.04.3 for the whole hour it worked!!!  (why don't they ship with latest firmware? Box is dated Sept 16)

I assume its going to have to go back.

@ HonestOpinion... thanks for the links. I couldn't download the firmware image though. When I tried to do that I got a page of ascii characters.  Am I being dull? 

Thanks for your help everyone.  Much appreciated.

I tried a different PC, a laptop with Win8.

Got it to start uploading V2.01 firmware......(eventually)            :)

Then: "Update failed please reboot and try again"   :(

Helix boot screen is corrupt on booting and frozen.

I've tried various global reset and safe boot mode. Nothing happening.

Have raised a ticket. don't want to wait 3 days for a response.  Am very disappointed!!!  Not happy at all. 

I was blown away by the sounds of the firmware V1.04.3 for the whole hour it worked!!!  (why don't they ship with latest firmware? Box is dated Sept 16)

I assume its going to have to go back.

@ HonestOpinion... thanks for the links. I couldn't download the firmware image though. When I tried to do that I got a page of ascii characters.  Am I being dull? 

Hmm, that is not what I get when I go to that link. I would try going over to the Line6 download page than and selecting it directly from the menu.  Make sure you select the proper version of the Helix (floor version or rack) and your OS first. Just look for the 2.01 version of the flash. It will be towards the top of the list of downloads It will say "Flash Memory" in the thin dark grey box at the top. The notes section will be titled "Helix Firmware 2.01 Release Notes" Remember, you don't want to open that file or try to run it directly, just download it to your PC. You will then run the Updater which will have an option to point to that file for the firmware update.

@ Honest Opinion

Thanks very much, I'll try that (for when I get in a position to be able to flash the firmware!).

@ MusicLaw

DV247 in the UK

I'm going to try to get a replacement ASAP. Less than 24 hours from New to Brick :(

Am gagging to have a play with it!  lol. 

@HonestOpinion

I gave your advice re loading from local file some thought...

As I said I couldn't download the flash memory V2.01 file... When I download I get a page full of ascii (like when you open a binary file).  However I can successfully download flash memory V2.00 !!!  How strange.  I wonder why one file downloads OK, whilst the other does not?

I have IE11 so id already disabled Smart Screen feature as per Line 6 guidance.

I tried this on two machines, one Win7, one Win8 (both IE11).  Exactly the same results on both!  V2.01 gobbledygook on screen (same stuff being displayed each time) but V2.00 downloaded and checksum verified ok.

I then tried downloading the flash memory files on my Android phone (just for the hell of it).  I could successfully download flash memory V2.01 but not V2.00 (it said it couldn't download V2.00)

I've now transferred V2.01 to my win8 machine... And verified the MD5 checksum so I have confidence the files are not corrupt.

I have a new Helix coming tomorrow.

I'm rather worried about performing the firmware update but at least I know I have a pre-checked file now.

I really can't explain what i've experienced  at all...

And SURELY the loader program would somehow verify the flash memory file before attempting to load it into the helix? (does it contain the checksum internally?)

Thanks for your advice, I'm really hoping for success tomorrow.  If this second unit fails both I and the sales guy will be rather pissed off.  As he said, "he doesn't want to keep sending me new units" (for me to break).  I actually had to buy the second one, and will get a refund from the first. I'm far too impatient to wait until next week for a straight replacement.  :)

PS. The sales chap suggested that I didn't update the firmware.... :o  I don't think he understood the increased functionality contained in the updates, lol.... 

I'd had 1.04.3 on a NEW unit.... lol

Wish me luck :D

No question, a lot of new features have made their way into the Helix since the 1.04 firmware. One thing to be aware of is to always match the version of the Helix App which contains the Updater, Driver, and Editor to the version of the firmware. So... if you use the 2.01 version of the firmware, make sure you have installed the 2.01 version of the Helix App. Line6 has been issuing a new version of the Editor with each new version of the firmware so they need to be the same or you are guaranteed to have problems. Downloading the firmware locally is a less desirable alternative to be used when you are having problems with the update process or internet connectivity. If you can use the Updater to grab the Firmware that is always the preferred method. Most people usually get through the process eventually although some PCs just seem to be more problematic than others. Make sure you follow the Release notes and do the global reset after updating your firmware. Good luck with your update!

I was just going to mention this. Make sure you Helix App matches the firmware version to start with. The newest version of the app won't work with older versions of the firmware.

And once you get it figured out, download Chrome or Firefox so you don't have all the stupid internet issues that internet explorer/edge have constantly.

DV247 in the UK

Hi David,

AFAIK, Digital Village are a very reputable outfit (been around for years) and are usually on the ball, so should you up and running ASAP. Somebody there must be able to flash your unit for you - or replace it if it's flakey!

Give 'em a call. dude.

Good luck.

Am very relieved to report that I successfully updated the firmware to the latest version on receiving my second Helix.

I used the local file that I'd verified as uncorrupted.

Thanks so much for everyone's help and advice!  It is much appreciated.

What a superb forum.

I'm blown away with the flexibility of the Helix.....  Now to find some great tones :)

Have a fab weekend everyone :D

• Upvote 1