Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V Android Compatibility: Does Your Mobile Device Connect?

Line6Tony

Thanks everyone for getting into the Spider V. We hope you’re enjoying all that it has to offer.

We’ve found that with certain new product launches, it’s helpful to keep a running thread of your experiences with connecting various Android mobile devices, whether it works or not. With such a wide variance in offerings and specs, it’s impossible for us to test all of them, so maybe this thread will help answer some customer questions, while possibly helping Line 6 spot issues/trends with a given group of devices.

Here is the Spider V / Android Device USB Compatibility Check article that should help you find out if your device support USB Host Mode, which is required for the Spider V Remote app to communicate with Spider V amplifiers.

Please post your device model, Android OS, and Compatibility Check results.

Thanks for your input. Please remember to visit https://line6.ideascale.com with any feature requests you may have.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Note 3 (Samsung Galaxy) Does NOT work.  It did work sporadically at first but was very, very glitchy. Once it worked for an entire day but now keeps losing it's connection or simply wont connect. Ordered a dragon touch X10 per suggestion in this forum and hoping it will work.

• 3 weeks later...

No dice with My OnePlus2 on cyanogen 13 (Android 6) using a Belkin direct usb-c to usb-b cable.

Thankfully, the old usb-b cable to my pc did work so I could atleast use that to update the firmware.

Hopefully getting an otg adaptor to use in conjunction with that known working cable tomorrow or monday.

Definetly need a PC version of the app for easier use.

Anything running on Android 6 or greater had not worked for me. I have a Nexus 6p, 2 LG G4s, and and an LG G Pad tablet. They ask run Android 6 or greater. Spider Remote WILL NOT work on any of them. I pulled out an old Galaxy S4 with Android 5.0.1 and it worked like a charm.

Also, if you open a support ticket with Line 6, you'll see that the is no category option for Android 6 or greater. This tells me that they haven't developed for these versions of Android. Hopefully, they have it in the works because the Spider V is a great amp!

Quick update from my previous post.

Got the OTG adaptor today, still nothing on the phone. Poor show, Line 6.

Thankfully I got the app working on my PC with VirtualBox and an Android 6.0 image.

How do you like the VirtualBox setup?  Was going that route on mine.

How do you like the VirtualBox setup?  Was going that route on mine.

For me, it's probably preferable. I'm used to big screens so it'd be alot easier to work with.

It's also handy when closing virtualbox to "Save the machine state" . That way when you load up android again, you're back where you were on the Spider Remote app.

The response time on it is maybe a little slow, but it's totally usable.

The only annoyance I've found is when you shut down virtualbox, you have to remember to either turn your Spider V off, or unplug the USB, otherwise any music/movie audio comes through the amp.

All in all, it's a decent enough work around if you have issues getting your phone/tablet to connect.

For me, it's probably preferable. I'm used to big screens so it'd be alot easier to work with.

It's also handy when closing virtualbox to "Save the machine state" . That way when you load up android again, you're back where you were on the Spider Remote app.

The only annoyance I've found is when you shut down virtualbox, you have to remember to either turn your Spider V off, or unplug the USB, otherwise any music/movie audio comes through the amp.

All in all, it's a decent enough work around if you have issues getting your phone/tablet to connect.

Thanks for sharing!  I'll give it a go tonight and see what happens.  At least it may be a stable solution until Line 6 gets this figured out.

Alot of users have rooted tablets to figure things out. Key problem in some developer minds are the ways the app compile presets in the app as one mega file. App designers have said they should have used a different allocation method. User files are hidden in the app. You have to be rooted to see them. From what I remember they are using a Win program called AmiDuos. Running 6.0 rooted. When rooted, your files will be your user name as a header for "db" files. You can't see the local folders on non rooted tablets or emulators.

I think there are some of these guys coming up with a different apk. I hope so. Line 6 has used the same basic app since the Amplifi and Firehawks. Those users have complained about remote app for a couple years already, and many posted wishlist for Win and Mac editors. Nothing in the works on computer based editors for those guys for over a year or two. This is it. Anything more would take outside users to develop on their own.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello All,

I just wanted to throw this out there. Initially my Nexus 6p with Android Nougat 7 wasn't connecting or it was dropping the connection. I then downgraded, with no immediate success, to Android Marshmallow. Frustrated, I started messing around with the Developer Options which need to be unlocked. You can do this by going to Settings and somewhere you should see a Build Number option. Tap on this section 7 times to unlock. Then I enabled an option called "Disable USB audio routing" and tried connecting once again. It worked and has been working ever since. Now, I haven't tried to verify this by enabling USB audio routing because I'm a little gun-shy. I'm just glad it is now working...lol. I will give that a shot and update everyone soon. Also note that I'm not sure that every phone has the USB audio routing option either. However, it can't hurt to check your phone and see.

Let me know if this works for you or not. Good luck!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I jut got a Spider V60 amp and after downloading the Spider app from the google store for my ASUS Zen tablet (Android 5.0) and connecting the USB, it worked fine.  I have not seen any way to save settings using the app but I can same them using the control knob on the amp.   One thing, the tablet uses a USB C connector and I had to go to Monoprice and buy an adapter cable that is USB A female to USB C.  This allowed a printer cable (USB A to USB B) to be used with the tablet. 

I have an LG G5 android phone and I tried to hook it up I got to work temporarily but it course it freezes up. Is there any way in the Future that you can make an editor on a computer? Please think of all the people that have bought these spider V amps. Being a big company like Line 6, and all the problems that you were having with customers complaining about these iPhones iPads not getting it to work properly that you would come out with an editor on the computer. Is it really that hard to do or costly?

I have an LG G5 android phone and I tried to hook it up I got to work temporarily but it course it freezes up. Is there any way in the Future that you can make an editor on a computer? Please think of all the people that have bought these spider V amps. Being a big company like Line 6, and all the problems that you were having with customers complaining about these iPhones iPads not getting it to work properly that you would come out with an editor on the computer. Is it really that hard to do or costly?

• 1 month later...

Quite bluntly, no!

I have tried Samsung Galaxy S5, S8 and Tab Pro 12.2. It would appear that a previous post was accurate in that basically Android 6 and above just don't work.

Only just bought the Spider V 60W and it sounds brilliant, but without the capability of editing and saving to the amp it loses the very reason for buying it, and unless I can get it to connect it will be returned as "faulty" as it fails on a critical feature.

I bought this rather than a Marshall CODE for its greater range of facilities, and having read of problems with Bluetooth connection on the Marshall.

You desperately need to put some developer resource into the Android App and make it work on phones and tablets made in the last 5 years, rather than just on ipads (on which I assume it must work).

Also, how can you not have a PC based version of the App which would be guaranteed to connect and work if your USB slave coding is correct in the Spider V?

• 2 weeks later...

No go with my Android 6.0.1 Moto G4 Play - it runs all of my hundreds of other apps without a hitch.  When I mount my Dell Inspiron i7 PC running Windows 10 Pro, I get the appropriate notification with options for charge, file transfer, photos, or MIDI.  I tried the Developers USB diagnostic option but failed under this setting as well.  Big disappointment.  I was planning on purchasing tomorrow as it is the last day of the promo for the free Line 6 transmitter so double disappointment... thanks Line 6.

Perhaps the diagnostic is not compatible with USB 3.0... I was testing on a USB 3.0 port???

No go with my Android 6.0.1 Moto G4 Play - it runs all of my hundreds of other apps without a hitch.  When I mount my Dell Inspiron i7 PC running Windows 10 Pro, I get the appropriate notification with options for charge, file transfer, photos, or MIDI.  I tried the Developers USB diagnostic option but failed under this setting as well.  Big disappointment.  I was planning on purchasing tomorrow as it is the last day of the promo for the free Line 6 transmitter so double disappointment... thanks Line 6.

Perhaps the diagnostic is not compatible with USB 3.0... I was testing on a USB 3.0 port???

I would have bought the amp and get the free wireless. Then if it didn't work with the device for whatever reason, the option to return is there. 

Try a unit at the store with your phone and see if it works.

Not sure if being a USB 3.0 would be a problem. Also read hit and miss about the Diag. Some units require OTG connectors to work.

I would have bought the amp and get the free wireless. Then if it didn't work with the device for whatever reason, the option to return is there. 

Try a unit at the store with your phone and see if it works.

Not sure if being a USB 3.0 would be a problem. Also read hit and miss about the Diag. Some units require OTG connectors to work.

Good advice!  I suspect it could very well be an issue with the diagnostic.  I wonder why Line 6 wouldn't develop something simple that WORKS... rather than torpedo their own new flagship product??????

Good advice!  I suspect it could very well be an issue with the diagnostic.  I wonder why Line 6 wouldn't develop something simple that WORKS... rather than torpedo their own new flagship product??????

More and more users have found solutions. Either it's the OTG connector needed, or other issues that people submit a ticket for. It's a pain of bringing mobile apps to amps. Line 6 isn't the only co having problems with brands of phones, user's wifi, ISP, router mfg, and so on. Many have griped for computer editors, but that is not in the cards. I've learned too that the front panel editing is easy enough when I need to use it. I used it more when on gigs than I do the app. I also have not really used the custom tones of others. I seem to always have to adjust all those settings for my guitars anyway. Novel idea for some, I just don't find that working for me.

I tested numerous phones and tablets. Sometimes the older devices worked and newer type did not. Then the OTG connectors were tried. Seem to fix a lot of problems with the app.

• 4 weeks later...

I just happened to check the downloads and noticed...
Line 6 released a Spider Remote for Windows. Yay!

Notes

• Be sure to update the driver to the latest (1.86). I couldn't switch tones before that.
  • Backup Spider to file fails for me.
  • There doesn't appear to be any cloud capability.

So yeah... Looks like there are still some kinks to work out... but it looks like a good start.

I just happened to check the downloads and noticed...

Line 6 released a Spider Remote for Windows. Yay!

Notes

• Be sure to update the driver to the latest (1.86). I couldn't switch tones before that.
  • Backup Spider to file fails for me.
  • There doesn't appear to be any cloud capability.
So yeah... Looks like there are still some kinks to work out... but it looks like a good start.

Can you provide more details on the device backup failure? For example, does it fail immediately, or does the backup process run for a while first? Where on disk are you attempting to save the backup?

Can you provide more details on the device backup failure? For example, does it fail immediately, or does the backup process run for a while first? Where on disk are you attempting to save the backup?

It thinks about it for maybe a second or two before failing with "Failed to backup device. Please try again." I'm just saving to my system (C:\) drive with the default name.

It thinks about it for maybe a second or two before failing with "Failed to backup device. Please try again." I'm just saving to my system (C:\) drive with the default name.

Can you please try saving to a different location, such as the desktop? Perhaps there is a security issue preventing you from saving to the root of C...

Can you please try saving to a different location, such as the desktop? Perhaps there is a security issue preventing you from saving to the root of C...

Before I was actually attempting to save to my dropbox folder under my profile (on the system drive).

Just attempted to save to the desktop. Same thing. "Failed to backup device. Please try again".

Before I was actually attempting to save to my dropbox folder under my profile (on the system drive).

Just attempted to save to the desktop. Same thing. "Failed to backup device. Please try again".

Can you please provide the version of Windows, the firmware version and Spider V model, and driver version (if installed)?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...