Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V Android Compatibility: Does Your Mobile Device Connect?

Line6Tony

Hello All, I just wanted to throw this out there. Initially my Nexus 6p with Android Nougat 7 wasn't connecting or it was dropping the connection. I then downgraded, with no immediate success, to Android Marshmallow. Frustrated, I started messing around with the Developer Options which need to be unlocked. You can do this by going to Settings and somewhere you should see a Build Number option. Tap on this section 7 times to unlock. Then I enabled an option called "Disable USB audio routing" and tried connecting once again. It worked and has been working ever since. Now, I haven't tried to verify this by enabling USB audio routing because I'm a little gun-shy. I'm just glad it is now working...lol. I will give that a shot and update everyone soon. Also note that I'm not sure that every phone has the USB audio routing option either. However, it can't hurt to check your phone and see. Let me know if this works for you or not. Good luck!

I have a Galaxy s7, tried the above and it has worked fine for me.  Thanks

Hello, my experience :

I have a Spider V 60, last firmware installed : 1.04.0

spider remote found on google play.

I connected yesterday :

a Samsung S4, Android V5.0.1, cable OTG, with spider remote, works fine, immediately

A Acer Iconia A3-A10, Android V4.42, cable OTG, with spider remote, works fine, immediately

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Material : Line 6 Sipder V 30 (firmware 1.04)

- Samsung Galaxy Gran Prime with Android 5.0.2 : Impossible to download the Spider Remote App : On Play Store it says that my device is not compatible with the version. :( 

- ACER A510 tablet with Android 4.1.2, Spider Remote App downloaded successfully on Play Store. But very long to start the App completly (aboute 2 min) and always "Devices not connected" : impossible to connect to the amplifier.

USB host checker reports:

OS support: Yes

3rd party apps: Full

:(

- PC ASUS, Windows 10, Spider Remote Software v1.02 : it works. <_<

• 3 weeks later...

BlackBerry Keyone with Android 7.1.1

OTG adapter and USB A-B cable (USB printer cable)

Spider Remote App works, but only with the USB Audio Routing disabled.

Not sure if there is a way at this point to use the phone to play music via the USB connection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I have just bought a line 6 spider v 240 combo, so I have put the remote app on my phone which is a sony xperia M5 does not work on my amp, screen on the amp says unsupported device, put same app on my tablet a Samsung galaxy a6 same problem, then my laptop, an Acer Aspire 5733, the app is different to the android app, there is no cloud, put the switches on the back of the amp in the right positions for pc or android on all these options, no joy, had the amp 2 days and I am very disappointed, cant get any advice from anywhere please help

Hi everyone. I have just bought a line 6 spider v 240 combo, so I have put the remote app on my phone which is a sony xperia M5 does not work on my amp, screen on the amp says unsupported device, put same app on my tablet a Samsung galaxy a6 same problem, then my laptop, an Acer Aspire 5733, the app is different to the android app, there is no cloud, put the switches on the back of the amp in the right positions for pc or android on all these options, no joy, had the amp 2 days and I am very disappointed, cant get any advice from anywhere please help

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

First things first, i have android 5.11 OS and it will not even download the spyder app from google play, saying android not compatible, but yet it's greater the 5.0 

My amp rattles, all the metal along the top of the speaker, super Cheapppppo 

So far i'm having major buyers remorse, going from a spider iv 75 with 300 great guitar tones, to a spider v240 with only 88 seems like stepping backwards, i can't BELIEVE there's no link between the flashing tap button and the speed of the drum patch. 

And why not throw some bluetooth for the android app when you already have it for the guitar remote?!?! this amp seems and feels like a rushed product, the only thing good about the amp so far is that it's light for it's size, but i'm suspecting that's cuz it has itty bitty speakers inside of it. 

Most likely be returning it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 with the OTA adapter included from Samsung.     Connects just fine with Oreo 8.0 installed from the latest update.

I did have to use the correct USB-B cable and ensure the switch was on Android in order for it to work correctly.    

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:15 PM, fenderjvstrat said:

Hello All,

I just wanted to throw this out there. Initially my Nexus 6p with Android Nougat 7 wasn't connecting or it was dropping the connection. I then downgraded, with no immediate success, to Android Marshmallow. Frustrated, I started messing around with the Developer Options which need to be unlocked. You can do this by going to Settings and somewhere you should see a Build Number option. Tap on this section 7 times to unlock. Then I enabled an option called "Disable USB audio routing" and tried connecting once again. It worked and has been working ever since. Now, I haven't tried to verify this by enabling USB audio routing because I'm a little gun-shy. I'm just glad it is now working...lol. I will give that a shot and update everyone soon. Also note that I'm not sure that every phone has the USB audio routing option either. However, it can't hurt to check your phone and see.

Let me know if this works for you or not. Good luck!

You're a genius!! This fix works for me (Samsung A5). App was utterly useless until I did that, freezing & disconnecting, even freezing my entire phone! 

• 5 weeks later...

*Three Hours Later*

This was originally a big long post about how nothing worked.

Then I watched a youtube video where a person was demonstrating using host capabilities on an Android and they plugged the on the go cable directly into the phone . . . I had plugged it into the amp first, then the cord into the phone.

Okay, so this is probably PRETTY DANG STUPID . . . and I may be the only human being on earth that has ever made this mistake, but nevertheless, in case there is someone else out there who this is their first foray into the on the go cable and it just isn't working:

Step 1:

1. PLUG THE ON THE GO CABLE DIRECTLY INTO THE ANDROID PHONE, and THEN the regular android cable into that, and that into the amp. 

If that doesn't work, proceed to trouble shoot from there. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought this Azpen Innovation A743 Tablet for about $30 from Microcenter. I stripped out and disabled whatever apps it would let me and run just the Spider V remote app on it. It has the benefit of having both a USB and and an AC charging port. It does the job.

The specs say it runs Lollipop, but it actually is running Marshmallow. It works fine none the less. I also run the Android app in a Virtual Machine on my Desktop. It gives me access to the Tone Cloud on my PC... so there is that.

My New Samsung 8A With android 8.0.0 will not work.....been trying to get it to work for a year now.....download the usb diagnostics app and everything checked out ok. The Amp connects immediately and the Remote app opens automatically on phone , but , as soon as you hit "Edit" to save a tone to the amp it disconnects. I will be heading in too Long & McQuade soonb to deal all my Spider gear in on something that allows me to use and save tones others have made. Even the goofy App I hav e on my Computers ..Spider remote has no Cloud access....This leads me to believe that Line 6 has no clue what it is doing when it comes to customer service, because even the guys at Long & McQuade couldnt figure out how I could download tones from the cloud and save them to my amp. 

42 minutes ago, RodeoRanger said:

My New Samsung 8A With android 8.0.0 will not work.....been trying to get it to work for a year now.....download the usb diagnostics app and everything checked out ok. The Amp connects immediately and the Remote app opens automatically on phone , but , as soon as you hit "Edit" to save a tone to the amp it disconnects. I will be heading in too Long & McQuade soonb to deal all my Spider gear in on something that allows me to use and save tones others have made. Even the goofy App I hav e on my Computers ..Spider remote has no Cloud access....This leads me to believe that Line 6 has no clue what it is doing when it comes to customer service, because even the guys at Long & McQuade couldnt figure out how I could download tones from the cloud and save them to my amp. 

My S7E works fine. You can only access the cloud using the mobile versions of the app. The PC app doesn't allow you to upload and download tones. If your PC is decent, you can download/edit/upload on your PC by emulating Android and using the Android version of the app.

RodeoRanger, did you try this potential fix that I posted back in April 2017?

Hello All,

I just wanted to throw this out there. Initially my Nexus 6p with Android Nougat 7 wasn't connecting or it was dropping the connection. I then downgraded, with no immediate success, to Android Marshmallow. Frustrated, I started messing around with the Developer Options which need to be unlocked. You can do this by going to Settings and somewhere you should see a Build Number option. Tap on this section 7 times to unlock. Then I enabled an option called "Disable USB audio routing" and tried connecting once again. It worked and has been working ever since. Now, I haven't tried to verify this by enabling USB audio routing because I'm a little gun-shy. I'm just glad it is now working...lol. I will give that a shot and update everyone soon. Also note that I'm not sure that every phone has the USB audio routing option either. However, it can't hurt to check your phone and see.

Let me know if this works for you or not. Good luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm a recent Spider V 120 owner. The Spider Remote software works fine on my HP laptop w/ Windows 10 OS. I gigged with this setup yesterday and have another gig tomorrow where my plan is again use the Spider V and my laptop. I also have an Android Galaxy S7 cell phone and would LOVE, just LOVE and strongly PREFER to use the S7 to manage my amplifier at gigs, but the S7 did not pass the compatibility test and - altho I can download the app via Play Store - Spider Remote software does nothing to control the amp when plugged in.  

7 hours ago, Random1643 said:

I'm a recent Spider V 120 owner. The Spider Remote software works fine on my HP laptop w/ Windows 10 OS. I gigged with this setup yesterday and have another gig tomorrow where my plan is again use the Spider V and my laptop. I also have an Android Galaxy S7 cell phone and would LOVE, just LOVE and strongly PREFER to use the S7 to manage my amplifier at gigs, but the S7 did not pass the compatibility test and - altho I can download the app via Play Store - Spider Remote software does nothing to control the amp when plugged in.  

I've controlled it with an S7. Do you have the cord connected right? Plug the adapter into the S7, and then the USB cord into the adapter, and the cord into the amp.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 10:50 PM, Random1643 said:

Thanks, Kilrahi, for your response. Yes, that exact sequence. The compatibility test was clear that my Android phone is not ok to run Host Mode. Not happy. 

If Samsung does release an eventual Android Pie for the S7, hopefully that will bring host mode goodness.    Still some articles being released that while it might be less likely, it's still possible Pie is coming to the S7.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so my V 20 has arrived. I've ordered a USB C to USB B that's on its way... Opened the box and there's no USB B on the back, or switch. Is there a slightly newer version that just utilises the front micro usb for using the spider app?

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, AcidVenus said:

Ok so my V 20 has arrived. I've ordered a USB C to USB B that's on its way... Opened the box and there's no USB B on the back, or switch. Is there a slightly newer version that just utilises the front micro usb for using the spider app?

I have the V 20, but I'm a bit confused as to what issue you ran into. There is only one USB port on the V 20 and it's on the front of the unit.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

The application on Android phone or Apple version is no usable like this and need really to be improve like the version 1 for PC/MAC.

It is simply no possible to find, select and edit your presets to modify them easily with your phone.

I'm not happy about that 

Also the V2 of the PC version is not working , we need to use previous version....

Please Line 6 Team, Improve the SPIDER REMOTE softwares.

Br,

Laurent

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2018 at 7:43 PM, Kilrahi said:

[...]

Step 1:

1. PLUG THE ON THE GO CABLE DIRECTLY INTO THE ANDROID PHONE, and THEN the regular android cable into that, and that into the amp. 

If that doesn't work, proceed to trouble shoot from there. 

Thanks a lot: after dozens of try with a Lenovo tablet with Android 7, this was the solution!

You saved a young guitar learner!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I dont even bother w Android. The Windows app works fab. Just hook the USB and big easy to use screen. Who can complain. And it looks and works just like Helix Native and Helix Stomp. Piece of cake. Really awesome.

Some folks have told me the Helix sound quality is so superior - what's the technical diff Tony? I can make the spider roar pretty ferociously. I've only had the Stomp as you know for a few days I'm still not even hardly acquainted w it - i mean they look exactly the same

• 3 months later...

Finally got it working with the phone.

It was working with the PC but I finally got it working with my Phone after some aggravation.

It seems the key to my problem was trying a different USB cable. 

I guess the OTG cable was fine... when plugged into my Motorola Droid Turbo it worked with USB drives. 

I'm using these OTG cables:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YOX4JU6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I just couldn't get it to recognize the Amp...

In hindsight it seems the connection from the OTG to the AMP was fussy... I've tried a 3rd cable there and it finally worked!

One of the cables I was trying to use I came with a drone for charging... i wonder if it can't do any data for some reason...

Guess I"ll have to try the PC again and see which cable I used.

Now I'm thinking of getting a 1 piece on the go cable to see if I can avoid this.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

the App seemed to work well with my Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017) on the first start.

But the Internetconnection lacked.

On the second start, there were no more Connection to the Amp and the App froze.

I´ve tried to shut down my Phone and it froze too. Only a soft reset helped out.

The App is no Option for me. There´s still a lot of work to do for the Developers.

Wish U all good Luck in trying the App

• 1 year later...
On 2/6/2017 at 1:20 AM, Guest James vernon said:

None of my android devices work. LG Gpad 8 and LG G5.

I also had a similar issue wit Android device and I think this issue is still not solved by the dev's. But I hope it will be soon fixed by the dev's or I will get a solution from here.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...