Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Laney IRT–X

Flotsam71

$400 for a 200 watt 8" PA speaker seems.....

ridiculous.....

Oh I don't know, it seems pretty well thought out and has some connections not available in any powered PA speaker. It has a speaker level input and a cab simulated output. It is also capable of powering an external speaker - I can't think of one Powered PA speaker that can do that. As for the 8" speaker, I wouldn't discount that just because of its size. I have an extremely loud 200 watt Quilter Aviator 8 that has no problems keeping up with much larger amps.

If its 200W w/DSP and all that routing, its probably about 130W (maybe). Unless you're also playing through 8" guitar cabs, there is no way its keeping up with a full rig in W/D/W set-up. 

I'm the wrong guy to look into this, though. Pretty much all of the "guitar-centric" FRFR stuff (Gemini, Atomic, Friedman) 'cept for the FireHawk 1500 seems overpriced, underpowered, and over-advertised. 

I'm the wrong guy to look into this, though. Pretty much all of the "guitar-centric" FRFR stuff (Gemini, Atomic, Friedman) 'cept for the FireHawk 1500 seems overpriced, underpowered, and over-advertised.

The price structure for that stuff is absurd...it's also very new, in the grand scheme of things, at least as far as guitar players are concerned. That's why I hate buying first generation anything...you always over-pay. 5 years later the same thing is magically half the price.

The price structure for that stuff is absurd...it's also very new, in the grand scheme of things, at least as far as guitar players are concerned. That's why I hate buying first generation anything...you always over-pay. 5 years later the same thing is magically half the price.

It also sucks that smaller companies are the only ones noticing we want this stuff for the most part, so they are already forced to be upmarket since they don't have the extensive resources someone like L6 or a major (Marshall, Peavey, Mesa) amplifier maker has to produce the stuff at a lower cost. I still think L6 is kinda lollipopting the bed by not having something below the the StageSource/Firehawk 1500 price point for amplifying modelers. I tried one of those Gemini 2x12 and it sounds great, if you don't want to be very loud (compared to a standard 2x12 guitar cabinet). My cheap Mackie PA speakers put out more juice and, to my ears anyways, sound reasonable close to as clean. If L6 could put the Spider V 2x12 cab/amp with some EQ DSP and some pro connections, drop the modeling, and sell it for the same price as the full Spider combo, that'd be ideal (for me).

It also sucks that smaller companies are the only ones noticing we want this stuff for the most part, so they are already forced to be upmarket since they don't have the extensive resources someone like L6 or a major (Marshall, Peavey, Mesa) amplifier maker has to produce the stuff at a lower cost.

Very true...although I think the Big Boys are somewhat reluctant to court the demographic that wants this stuff because it'll ruin the whole "tradition" sales pitch upon which their empires are built.

It's the same reason Harley won't build liquid-cooled bikes...the one model they do have generally isn't considered a "real HD" amongst the purists who keep them in business. If it won't overheat and sputter to a halt in traffic on a hot day, they don't want it, lol. Baffling...

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Same here, would buy one tomorrow for my Helix LT.

Indeed.  I'll gladly pay a little extra for a lighter box. I can see no reason why these things have to be so heavy and it's ridiculous that they are in this day and age. 

Very true...although I think the Big Boys are somewhat reluctant to court the demographic that wants this stuff because it'll ruin the whole "tradition" sales pitch upon which their empires are built.

It's the same reason Harley won't build liquid-cooled bikes...the one model they do have generally isn't considered a "real HD" amongst the purists who keep them in business. If it won't overheat and sputter to a halt in traffic on a hot day, they don't want it, lol. Baffling...

For the most part... I hate tradition!  It gets in the way of innovative thoughts, ideas and discoveries.  It shows a total lack of imagination by those who cling to it.

• Upvote 1

If its 200W w/DSP and all that routing, its probably about 130W (maybe). Unless you're also playing through 8" guitar cabs, there is no way its keeping up with a full rig in W/D/W set-up. 

As an owner of a pair of these that I use for onstage monitoring in stereo with a Helix you are straight out wrong.  They compete with a hard hitting drummer, bass and a loud Vox AC30 player no problem.  I had to roll back the levels for the band.  They are very loud and do not sound like you are playing through an 8" guitar cab.  They sound like a sub-less but nearly full range system and, as they are wedge shaped, don't kill your audience in reaching very solid stage levels.  Personally I'd run them louder, but hey I went to in-ears for my monitoring to stop being the loudest person on stage.

As an owner of a pair of these that I use for onstage monitoring in stereo with a Helix you are straight out wrong.  They compete with a hard hitting drummer, bass and a loud Vox AC30 player no problem.  I had to roll back the levels for the band.  They are very loud and do not sound like you are playing through an 8" guitar cab.  They sound like a sub-less but nearly full range system and, as they are wedge shaped, don't kill your audience in reaching very solid stage levels.  Personally I'd run them louder, but hey I went to in-ears for my monitoring to stop being the loudest person on stage.

I'd have to hear it in person, but I'm glad its working for you! I heard the same thing about the Gemini stuff and in person it was anemic compared to a pair of Mackie powered speakers that cost 1/2 as much.

I'd have to hear it in person, but I'm glad its working for you! I heard the same thing about the Gemini stuff and in person it was anemic compared to a pair of Mackie powered speakers that cost 1/2 as much.

Which mackies? If I may ask.

How about, before you post a condescending response with feigned happiness about other's actual experiences, you try the product in question.  

I'm pretty sure you'll struggle to find Mackies 1/2 the price of the Laney's but hey, I'm sure you can back pedal and say you meant the Gemini stuff.

Opinions offered without even trying the products in question simply don't help the OP at all other than demonstrating existing biases.

How about, before you post a condescending response with feigned happiness about other's actual experiences, you try the product in question.  

I'm pretty sure you'll struggle to find Mackies 1/2 the price of the Laney's but hey, I'm sure you can back pedal and say you meant the Gemini stuff.

Opinions offered without even trying the products in question simply don't help the OP at all other than demonstrating existing biases.

How 'bout instead of getting butthurt over something I said on the internet (months ago) based on cumulative information from using powered speakers for something like the last 10 years or so you just go ahead and enjoy your gear whether I think it's worth the cost associated or not. ;)