Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My JTV 69 interface never worked from day one usb side led green dvi side red... decided to reinstall firmware (variax) - upgraded to v1.9 (both led's green) still not recognized by computer software...  guitar would work with x3 live to update and with workbench so I didn't care that much... but now that I have updated to HD v2.0 variax and workbench HD... niether x3 live nor interface are recognized... help... yes DVI plugged in 1/4 inch to x3live (so I can hear) volume knob up... battery charged... power knob lit (on variax) have uninstalled and reinstalled all software and drivers, 2 green lights still not recognized...

My JTV 69 interface never worked from day one usb side led green dvi side red... decided to reinstall firmware (variax) - upgraded to v1.9 (both led's green) still not recognized by computer software...  guitar would work with x3 live to update and with workbench so I didn't care that much... but now that I have updated to HD v2.0 variax and workbench HD... niether x3 live nor interface are recognized... help... yes DVI plugged in 1/4 inch to x3live (so I can hear) volume knob up... battery charged... power knob lit (on variax) have uninstalled and reinstalled all software and drivers, 2 green lights still not recognized...

Try performing the update on a different computer.

I had the exact problem. It turned out the DVI cable on either the JTV  or the interface side felt like it plugged in correctly, but wasn't. I disconnected the cable on both sides and plugged it in again waiting for the click, and this fixed the problem.

I'm having same problem, usb works with workbench but not HD the monkey will not update because it doesn't recognize the connection. I've read everything I can find and I keep going around in circles with the same fixes I've already tried. I do not have the option of changing computer. I'm using a mac book pro. Any suggestions ?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

There are some restrictions concerning devices - PODs and Variaxes - and the versions of Workbench that they support. Here's my understanding. I'm not 100% sure about this - please correct me if I am wrong.

Pre-JTV Variax guitars will work with the original Workbench, and not with Workbench HD. JTV guitars running firmware v2.0 and later will work with Workbench HD and not the original Workbench. JTV guitars running firmware pre- v2.0 will work with the original Workbench and not with Workbench HD. If you are using the Workbench hardware interface note that it does not provide power to the Variax. You need to have fully charged batteries AND you need to have a jack cord in the 1/4" Variax jack with the Vol control at non-zero. That's the power switch for the batteries.

VDI-equipped POD devices will work as a Workbench interface, and will provide power to the Variax. However, pre-POD HD devices (Pod xt, Pod X3) support the original Workbench, not Workbench HD. The original POD HD devices (the non-X versions) support both the original Workbench and Workbench HD. The X-series PODs (POD HD500X and HD ProX) support Workbench HD and not the original Workbench. Helix does not (yet) act as a Workbench interface.

So, for instance, a JTV running v2.0 software or later will not work with Workbench HD when using a Pod X3 Live as the interface. Nor will it work with the original Workbench. Other combinations of Variax guitars and devices may or may not work according to the above.

• Upvote 1

Yup - pretty much sums it up, silverhead. I have the XTLive (now the XTDead - RIP, LOL), X3Live, the HD500, the HD500X, and the Helix. I haven't gotten out my X3L since I got the HD's. Definitely keeping the entourage because if/when they get HD Worbench going on the Helix, I will still need the HD500 to edit my Variax 300. My JTV 59 & 69S need a device for editing, and so far it's the 500 or 500X -- c'mon L6, get on the stick....  Don't really care for it when companies orphan their own products... Of course, with the Standard, hope the writing's not on the wall for the JTV's -- discussion on another thread...

Yeah I have the USB interface (2 actually - one with each JTV) -- don't like it as the 1/4" out does not have the same volume balance as the VDI between the mags & the models - old subject -- brought it up before got no traction on the forums,,,

Dave