Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

High Pass and Low Pass Filters - Settings

Thurston9

I'm curious what people are setting HPF and LPF to, and where in the chain each is done.  I'm going to experiment with them a bit this evening, and am looking for a range that is generally used.

I assume it ultimately comes down to Monitor/Amp type, room, user ears and other factors, but it would be great to have some ideas for starting points.

I'm playing single coil and humbucker guitars through 15" JBL EON PA speakers.

• Upvote 1

For the most part I let my speaker and PA take care of the low cut as their hipass filters are set at 125hz, which is about right for me.  Other than that I do have a global cut at 8000 hz, but if I have to tweak things at the high end I put a 10 band eq as my last block and adjust it to taste.  It seems to make a much more natural response curve than just a hi-cut would do.

I'm using a Yamaha DXR12 as my FRFR speaker by the way.  I've also found that I have to do a LOT less tweaking now that I started using some of the Ownhammer IR's rather than the stock cabs.

I use the global eq. HPF at 80hz, LPF at 10k. 2-3db narrow cut at 3k, 4db cut at 4k. Nothing too drastic and applies to any amp to help me stay out of the subs and limit the harsh frequencies. Just helps make it easier on sound guys, most of whom just leave my EQ flat now. 

I use the high and low cut on the cab blocks. The low cuts are pretty consistent at 60hz, the high cuts I have assigned to change with Snapshots. For clean sounds I run it generously, typically around 12k, and I bring it in as necessary to tame fizz as gain increases. I've gone as far as 4k in some instances, don't think I've had to go farther than that.

I'm not using speakersims since I used guitar cabs loaded with Celestions G12K100 and CL80. I cut typically 80Hz and down for distorted sounds and up to 120 Hz for clean (bass can be brutal for clean sounds) Ii let the bass player fill this spectrum. I also cut the highs to 7.5 kHz it reduce the ear fatigue more than it's noticable (I may be dreaming here).

I use the hi and low cuts on the individual cab parameters at least with my powered FRFR speaker. I haven't actually used any cuts on the patches I made with the headphone jack... and I modified those ones with cuts (rather than starting over from scratch) to accommodate the speaker, which I'm hoping will sound good direct to the FOH. I haven't downloaded any second party IRs yet; perhaps I will at some point.

I can't imagine that there's a universal range of frequencies that'll work for everyone. Guitar pickups can have wildly different EQs, not to mention how they're adjusted. And they're just a part of the equation when it comes to what gives a guitar it's tone.

My low cut is generally around 80hz (but can range from 80-110 depending a lot on the mic models being used - 121ribbon is my favorite but its got a lot of extra bottom). 

My high cut is typically 7.2khz.  But I just started really dialing in acoustic/piezo sounds with IRs, and I open it up to around 12khz (I use the cut on IR blocks if I need to pull more than that.

Then depending mainly on the speaker I'm running into, I'll start to use the rest Global EQ.  I leave my low FQ at 130hz, mid FQ at 2.2khz and High FQ at 4khz.  I tend to make small boosts/cuts (+/- 2db) with low Q values.  I like to leave these flat for the most part, and then just use them for the room or PA I happen to be plugging into.

Guys - I don't know, but maybe this could be a little help.

Interactive Frequency Chart - Independent Recording Network

Hover your mouse over the section on the chart that says "Guitar" and you get all the necessary frequency info.

eg: Guitar Fundamentals E2 - D6  (82Hz - 1.2kHz)

Fullness 80Hz (Acoustic), 240 - 500Hz (Electric)

Body ~ 240Hz (Acoustic)

Presence 2 - 5kHz

Plus a whole lot more about frequency ranges, ear sensitivity etc.

Worth a look? Even buy the charts!

It's like a point of reference for a 31 band 1/3 octave Graphic EQ

• Upvote 3

• 2 years later...

Hi out there in Helix EQ land.  I have a Variax and a Helix LT.  The Helix has both Variax and Variax mag pickup input blocks.  I'd like to create a patch where Path A will have the sitar model and I'd like to suppress frequencies below the open G string.  Path B will have the magnetic pickups and I'd like to suppress frequencies from open G and above.  I've tried various EQ and HP and LP filter type effect blocks but I'm not having much luck completely or almost nearly suppressing the freqs that I want.  Any suggestions?  I think an alternate route might be to create a custom sitar model with the three lowest string output levels set to the lowest value, but I'm also trying to explore the various HP and LP filter and EQ features.

3 hours ago, christroiani1 said:

Thank you all for your input!  Would someone be willing to upload a preset that illustrates the settings?

Go to Customtone and download Jason Sadites presets that match up to his videos.  You'll get a complete discussion about the preset settings.