Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone Editor

rudiekazu

I bought an Amplifi 150 and have had nothing but trouble with the Editor...mainly because I don’t have mobile devices to control it....my Chromebook doesn’t work....nor is there a PC or Mac based editor. I love the amp, but I’m left with no choice but to return it. My questions is does anyone know if there will be a Windows based Editor for Tones ...ie like Tone Monkey ??? .....I know in the product description it says 1 x Type B (Mac, PC, Android), 1 x Type A (iPhone/iPod)

but that doesn’t necessarily mean it will have a PC based editor. My Amplifi has PC connectivity for updating Firmware......but no PC Editor. 

I don't have a Spider V amp but I looked at its manual (available online) and the Downloads section of this website and I find the info ambiguous on this question. The Overview page of the manual suggests that it operates the same as the AMPLIFi and Firehawk products in this respect - tone editing is supported only on mobile devices using the Remote app. However, the Rear Panel page states that one of the two ports you mention can be used to edit tones on PC, Mac and Android. Yet the Downloads page does not seem to have any PC/Mac based edit program for the Spider V amps.

So we need someone with a Spider V amp to clarify, and then I will report a documentation error if there is one.

• Downvote 1

just watched a Sweetwater Demo vid....Mitch Gallagher says in the vid that you can plug in a PC, Mac, Android Device via USB and load up the App....but just like you i cant find any info in regards to the App .... is there a new App for Spider ???.....is it using Tone Monkey for PC and Mac ???....or the Remote App for stuff like Amplifi ???? .....yer right, info is ambiguous at best ....... i need to be sure before i do anything this time....big mistake on the Amplifi......now i'll have to eat shipping costs

just a footnote......i just tried loading a Bridge app to let my Chromebook in Developer Mode use Android Apps.......but no luck......there is a Web post out there saying that the Acer Model i have will have upgrades later this year or next to read Android stuff......but there is no guarantee that the Line 6 Remote App will work with that either.... I'm not gonna buy a iPad or Android just to control the Amp when i have no other use for the device other than that......and i'm already $500 bones into this endeavor.....the ole lady is bitchin a storm cause i keep takin her phone to switch patches on the amp...lol....she didnt talk like that when i first met her....wtf ??? 

I've got a Spider V 60 and connect via the PC USB connection to directly record audio using the ASIO drivers for Windows on the download site... so technically you can connect it to a PC for something useful. I still haven't found a way to edit tones, etc. from the PC. I'm hoping that's coming soon.

I've got a Spider V 60 and connect via the PC USB connection to directly record audio using the ASIO drivers for Windows on the download site... so technically you can connect it to a PC for something useful. I still haven't found a way to edit tones, etc. from the PC. I'm hoping that's coming soon.

Same with the Amplifi.....I could update firmware....but no Editor for tones....and i dont have any Apple stuff or a smartphone.....still using a Flip - lol

Spider V has both IOS and Android apps. You have to connect via a lightning cable for IOS and USB for Android. You do not do Bluetooth on Spider V and I don't see any way that it could be supported, so you have to physically connect your phone/tablet to the Spider V and make sure that the switch on the back is set to the correct USB port that you are using. Doenload an app called "Spider Remote" from either App store/Play store. On the play store I saw two unrelated spider remote apps, so make sure you download the Line 6 one.

I have both the Spider V and the AmpliFi 30 and I can tell you that the Spider remote all is tons faster than the AmpliFi one (must be that slow Bluetooth). Tones load in a fraction of a second versus close to 5 seconds on the AmpliFi.

I could only test the IOS app via my IPAD, as none of my Android devices would work. The Android app seems to be very unreasonably picky about the hardware and software support and it does not tell you when you launch it whether it will work... it just doesn't in my case. If you have a IOS device, give it a try, it will most likely work.

There is a (short) compatibility list thread (below) where you can check if your device is compatible or add your device to the list if it is not already listed.

http://line6.com/support/topic/23346-re-does-your-mobile-device-connect/

Spider V has both IOS and Android apps. You have to connect via a lightning cable for IOS and USB for Android. You do not do Bluetooth on Spider V and I don't see any way that it could be supported, so you have to physically connect your phone/tablet to the Spider V and make sure that the switch on the back is set to the correct USB port that you are using. Doenload an app called "Spider Remote" from either App store/Play store. On the play store I saw two unrelated spider remote apps, so make sure you download the Line 6 one.

I have both the Spider V and the AmpliFi 30 and I can tell you that the Spider remote all is tons faster than the AmpliFi one (must be that slow Bluetooth). Tones load in a fraction of a second versus close to 5 seconds on the AmpliFi.

I could only test the IOS app via my IPAD, as none of my Android devices would work. The Android app seems to be very unreasonably picky about the hardware and software support and it does not tell you when you launch it whether it will work... it just doesn't in my case. If you have a IOS device, give it a try, it will most likely work.

There is a (short) compatibility list thread (below) where you can check if your device is compatible or add your device to the list if it is not already listed.

http://line6.com/support/topic/23346-re-does-your-mobile-device-connect/

so it sounds like Mitch Gallagher is full of Whooie ....i gotta say i'm in disbelief that Line6 has made no PC/Mac based Editors for these Amps.....i've had 2 Flelxtones.....still got one...and i use the Tone Monkey to tweek patches....its great.....the Flextone weighs a ton though....thats one reason i bought the Amplifi....Guitar in one hand, Amp in the other ...out the door i go.....no Pedal Board necessary either.....i get the whole iPad thing for when yer out an about giggin or whatever.....but at home ??? really??? jerkin with a phone to tweek patches.....well i guess its gotta go back....start saving for the Helix instead......one question though.....do you like the Editor better on the Spider or the Amplifi ....i know you said Spider was faster.....but are there more options .....there doesn't seem to be anyway to create folders of sub-categories for YOUR patches in the Remote App for Amplifi...just wondering if the Spider app was a little more versatile 

so it sounds like Mitch Gallagher is full of Whooie ....i gotta say i'm in disbelief that Line6 has made no PC/Mac based Editors for these Amps.....i've had 2 Flelxtones.....still got one...and i use the Tone Monkey to tweek patches....its great.....the Flextone weighs a ton though....thats one reason i bought the Amplifi....Guitar in one hand, Amp in the other ...out the door i go.....no Pedal Board necessary either.....i get the whole iPad thing for when yer out an about giggin or whatever.....but at home ??? really??? jerkin with a phone to tweek patches.....well i guess its gotta go back....start saving for the Helix instead......one question though.....do you like the Editor better on the Spider or the Amplifi ....i know you said Spider was faster.....but are there more options .....there doesn't seem to be anyway to create folders of sub-categories for YOUR patches in the Remote App for Amplifi...just wondering if the Spider app was a little more versatile 

I made changes to my post on the thread that you quoted. I had originally stated that none of my Android devices worked with my Spider V 60 but as another user helpfully pointed out, I needed an "OTG" adapter. So the two Samsung devices that I have are now working with Spider V... that been said...

Both apps (AmpliFi and Spider remote) offer similar functionality, but with critical differences IMHO that prevent me from declaring a clear winner. On one hand, I like the layout on the AmpliFi app much better than the layout on the Spider app. On Amplifi, the signal chain is cleaner and more intuitive, on Spider, it looks like the effects blocks were just thrown one below the other for no good reason other than to have the effects chain on the left and the tones list on the right (in all fairness to Line 6, that might very well have been the main reason behind the change in layout). On the other hand, the Spider app is a LOT faster, maybe due to the physical connection , which is faster at USB speeds, vs the much slower Bluetooth connection on the Amplifi. Since the Spider has a more complete feature set (it actually allows you to edit everything without the need for the app at all), and it begs to be connected to an FBV series pedal, it would be downright maddening if it took 5 seconds to load every time you switched patches like it does on the Amplifi app.

Now if Line 6 would update the AmpliFi app to make use of a USB cable in addition to BT then I would be a happy camper!

Oh Who am I kidding? if that happened, I would be begging Line 6 then to make the AmpliFi app work with the Spider V as well :)

I made changes to my post on the thread that you quoted. I had originally stated that none of my Android devices worked with my Spider V 60 but as another user helpfully pointed out, I needed an "OTG" adapter. So the two Samsung devices that I have are now working with Spider V... that been said...

Both apps (AmpliFi and Spider remote) offer similar functionality, but with critical differences IMHO that prevent me from declaring a clear winner. On one hand, I like the layout on the AmpliFi app much better than the layout on the Spider app. On Amplifi, the signal chain is cleaner and more intuitive, on Spider, it looks like the effects blocks were just thrown one below the other for no good reason other than to have the effects chain on the left and the tones list on the right (in all fairness to Line 6, that might very well have been the main reason behind the change in layout). On the other hand, the Spider app is a LOT faster, maybe due to the physical connection , which is faster at USB speeds, vs the much slower Bluetooth connection on the Amplifi. Since the Spider has a more complete feature set (it actually allows you to edit everything without the need for the app at all), and it begs to be connected to an FBV series pedal, it would be downright maddening if it took 5 seconds to load every time you switched patches like it does on the Amplifi app.

Now if Line 6 would update the AmpliFi app to make use of a USB cable in addition to BT then I would be a happy camper!

Oh Who am I kidding? if that happened, I would be begging Line 6 then to make the AmpliFi app work with the Spider V as well :)

thats was gonna be my next question.....if i could use the USB port for the Remote App....but yer saying no...oh well....i might have to bite the bullet and get a iPad or Android notebookie thingie......i really like the amp for my Acoustic stuff......the Reverbs and Delays are great....and no Pedal Board necessary....and it sounds great playing Jam Tracks.....and theres lots of Electric tones that really decent for a little amp like this.....just wish they would make an Editor that didnt need a Notepad .......I'm gonna watch the Sweetwater Demo again and take a close look at the App for SpiderV......i still have 3 weeks to make up my mind ....SpiderV or AMplifi

thats was gonna be my next question.....if i could use the USB port for the Remote App....but yer saying no...oh well....i might have to bite the bullet and get a iPad or Android notebookie thingie......i really like the amp for my Acoustic stuff......the Reverbs and Delays are great....and no Pedal Board necessary....and it sounds great playing Jam Tracks.....and theres lots of Electric tones that really decent for a little amp like this.....just wish they would make an Editor that didnt need a Notepad .......I'm gonna watch the Sweetwater Demo again and take a close look at the App for SpiderV......i still have 3 weeks to make up my mind ....SpiderV or AMplifi

Get the cheapest IPAD you can find that has a lightning connector. I have more time to play with both over the weekend and I found out that there are other differences between the AmpliFi and Spider V apps and also between the IOS vs Android versions even within the same app.

The AmpliFi app (both IOS and Android) can play tracks from the app itself. The Spider App cannot play tracks from the app itself from either IOS or Android. To make matters worse, because the Spider V Android app requires that OTG cable malarkey, the Android device that you hook up to the Spider will NOT charge, so, even though you *can* edit patches and charge at the same time with an IOS device, you can only edit with an Android device, plus you get the pleasure of watching your battery levels plummet. No good trying to put your device to sleep in order to save battery, because every time you wake it up, it has to reconnect.

And finally.. *drum roll*. The IOS Spider V app can play tracks from the music app and it will play through the amp, which sounds great because of the full range speakers but the Android app... silence. Play with the volume buttons, switch apps back and forth between Spider app and music app, run both at the same time, run only the music app... nothing. No music coming out of the amp, and I know it is connected  via USB because the app is working... unreal. Sounds like this was a mad race to check a box on the marketing checklist by launch day IMNSHO.

Guest rudie-k

Get the cheapest IPAD you can find that has a lightning connector. I have more time to play with both over the weekend and I found out that there are other differences between the AmpliFi and Spider V apps and also between the IOS vs Android versions even within the same app.

The AmpliFi app (both IOS and Android) can play tracks from the app itself. The Spider App cannot play tracks from the app itself from either IOS or Android. To make matters worse, because the Spider V Android app requires that OTG cable malarkey, the Android device that you hook up to the Spider will NOT charge, so, even though you *can* edit patches and charge at the same time with an IOS device, you can only edit with an Android device, plus you get the pleasure of watching your battery levels plummet. No good trying to put your device to sleep in order to save battery, because every time you wake it up, it has to reconnect.

And finally.. *drum roll*. The IOS Spider V app can play tracks from the music app and it will play through the amp, which sounds great because of the full range speakers but the Android app... silence. Play with the volume buttons, switch apps back and forth between Spider app and music app, run both at the same time, run only the music app... nothing. No music coming out of the amp, and I know it is connected  via USB because the app is working... unreal. Sounds like this was a mad race to check a box on the marketing checklist by launch day IMNSHO.

just wanted to say thank-you !!....you definitely helped me make up my mind......I've decided to keep the Amplifi .... i ordered a Tablet over the weekend...so that will help with the App.....i decided not to go with the Spider-V for a couple reasons.....1 is its weight......another 10lbs or so from the 150...the 150 is probably more than i want to carry now...should have opted for the 75...but too late now....i would also would want the true stereo image so i would end up buying the 240watt.....and i really dont need that kind of power for a mainly acoustic thing......then there are the other things you've pointed out about Charging the Tablet ..ect......anywho....i'm very satisfied with the 150 tone ....so i can only hope that Line 6 will listen to the community in the future and make a PC/Mac based editor.....if that were to happen i would be a happy camper

I kept googling like mad the past couple of days and I found out that USB Audio support was reportedly introduced in 5.0, but I read reports that it is flaky at best. For 4.4.2 (the "official" Samsung ROM for the Note 8) there is no official support, but some manufacturers included it on their own. I decided to skip it all and see if I could find a 6.0.1 ROM for the old Note 8 and I found CyanogenMod 13 (6.0.1). So I decided what the heck, if I brick it, I brick it, so I downloaded CM13, GAPPS stock 6.0.1 and TWRP 3.0.2-0 (for recovery)... flashed TWRP 3.0.2-0, booted into recovery, did a factory reset (mandatory when switching ROMs), flashed CM13, GAPPS stock 6.0.1, reboot it, let it all update and now I got USB audio working on the Note 8!

Finally, I got an OTG cable with a charging port (basically a Y-cable with USB female on one end and both USB Micro male and female on the other side) and gave it a try, but no joy. I still get audio and the Spider connects to the Spider App on the Note 8, but still not charging.

So I saved my IPAD for better purposes, going to permanently "gift" the Note 8 to my Spider V and just live with the battery not charging issue, as I can just recharge manually whenever I need.

• 2 months later...

@deadlocked...  Actually, you can still use the Amplifi Remote witht the Spider V.  N ot the BT capability BUT you can still edit and get tone matching via USB!!!  I do it all the time!

Haha  hey speaking of the tut's at Sweetwater. My rep said the guys that wrote the notes for the Spider V etc that indicated these units would work in Windows and Mac as well as iOS and Android, said they confirmed with L6 rep before they went live with their video demos.

I would say I believe them because Andertons and other music co reviews state exactly the same thing. They may have been told the app would work with Win and Mac even though that was not the case.

Every retailer site for Spider V clearly lists "USB connectivity for Win, Mac, iOS, and Android" and there is NOTHING in the product descriptions that state app is mobile ONLY.

I can't fault Sweetwater for misinformation when they were misinformed. My rep says they also have seen quite a few returns and irate customers because the amp is not Win or Mac usable for the editor. Some of the sales reps at my Guitar Center store said the same thing. "We were told these editors would work in Windows and Mac OS, so that's not our fault!"

I went to the store mgr and asked what he thought. He said "if they go back they go back. Sales associates can't s**t a computer editor!!" 

Haha  hey speaking of the tut's at Sweetwater. My rep said the guys that wrote the notes for the Spider V etc that indicated these units would work in Windows and Mac as well as iOS and Android, said they confirmed with L6 rep before they went live with their video demos.

I would say I believe them because Andertons and other music co reviews state exactly the same thing. They may have been told the app would work with Win and Mac even though that was not the case.

Every retailer site for Spider V clearly lists "USB connectivity for Win, Mac, iOS, and Android" and there is NOTHING in the product descriptions that state app is mobile ONLY.

I can't fault Sweetwater for misinformation when they were misinformed. My rep says they also have seen quite a few returns and irate customers because the amp is not Win or Mac usable for the editor. Some of the sales reps at my Guitar Center store said the same thing. "We were told these editors would work in Windows and Mac OS, so that's not our fault!"

I went to the store mgr and asked what he thought. He said "if they go back they go back. Sales associates can't s**t a computer editor!!" 

for the money ....Line 6 has been a good product....i ended up buying the Amplifi150.....best Acoustic amp i've ever had for that......and it has some nice patches for electric too....that being said.....i had a Flextone way back when.....the editor was Tone Monkey i think........WAY better for tweaking patches IMO.....and it was Windows based....i know a lot of guys in music are Mac diehards......my daughters BF is one.......he always busts my balls....but when i started with this lollipop 20 plus yrs ago Win was way cheaper.....and basically still is....imo.....my understanding today is that L6 thinks everything is going the way of the Phone...and hand held stuff...but i believe they are missing the boat when it comes to the Studio.....time will tell.....i just bought myself a Helix yesterday.....demo model from Sweetwater.....saved quite a bit of money.....the Helix editor works with Win7 from what i understand.....looking forward to playing with my new Christmas toy

@deadlocked...  Actually, you can still use the Amplifi Remote witht the Spider V.  N ot the BT capability BUT you can still edit and get tone matching via USB!!!  I do it all the time!

Actually, I have been doing a bit of that myself. Use the AmpliFi app to tone match and save the tones to my L6 account, then fire up the Spider App and load them into the Spider. A few more steps than really required, so Why wouldn't Line 6 make the Spider App tone match and play tracks just like the AmpliFi app? It's not like they do not have the code for it, as it is there on the AmpliFi app already.

Actually, I have been doing a bit of that myself. Use the AmpliFi app to tone match and save the tones to my L6 account, then fire up the Spider App and load them into the Spider. A few more steps than really required, so Why wouldn't Line 6 make the Spider App tone match and play tracks just like the AmpliFi app? It's not like they do not have the code for it, as it is there on the AmpliFi app already.

There are some big differences in design from what I hear, and they are not as transparent of playback systems. Spider doesn't have the same FR bandwidth and it sounds much darker.

There are some big differences in design from what I hear, and they are not as transparent of playback systems. Spider doesn't have the same FR bandwidth and it sounds much darker.

Yes, the Spider V sounds much darker, but I can fix that with the Amp's Bass/Mid/Treble/Presence knobs or post-EQ. I can live with the music tracks I play through it being darker, as I only use them for practice. Also, I don't think I have ever kept a patch that I downloaded from any source as-is, without any tweaking, but I usually can find a patch that will get me 90% of the way there and I just tweak it a bit... I hate starting stuff from scratch... blame it on my total ignorance of most guitarists' rigs, so I would really like to be able to tone-match on the Spider V, just to get the tones that I am looking for close enough so that I can use them after minor tweaks.

The Spider V is billed (amongst other things) as a practice tool, so... help me practice! :)

• 1 month later...

What would be the advantage to using the Amplifi Remote app vs Spider Remote?  Do you get a different set of tones from the cloud?

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 10/18/2016 at 7:37 PM, deadlocked said:

THE editor is good for spider, the connecint my iPhone for tracks is good - the speaker for guitar - yuck!  It just doesn’t sound like a good amp - my120 is not getting it done