Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV Model Updates Since 2011?

I'm thinking of buying a used JTV (either 69 or 59).  I'm trying to understand pricing and trade-offs of older models.  I've searched, with no luck, to see if there have been any significant upgrades to the models, since 2011.  Any guidance on that would be appreciated.

Changes and updates are listed in the Release Notes that accompany each new firmware release. You can get the release notes in the Downloads section of this website under the Support tab above. Select "James Tyler Variax" in the Products field and "Flash Memory" in the Software field. Read the release notes to get details of the updates.

You will see that the JTV modelling technology was completely upgraded in 2013 as of firmware v2.0.

And FWIW - ALL "JAMES TYLER VARIAX"  (JTV-xx")  and current VARIAX STANDARD" models can be upgraded to latest Variax HD V2.21 firmware  and can use "WORKBENCH HD (Version 2.12) application 

The older generation Variax's  (Variax 300/500/600/700) remain on older Version 3.10 Firmware and older  Workbench Version 1.75 application  

And FWIW - ALL "JAMES TYLER VARIAX"  (JTV-xx")  and current VARIAX STANDARD" models can be upgraded to latest Variax HD V2.21 firmware  and can use "WORKBENCH HD (Version 2.12) application 

The older generation Variax's  (Variax 300/500/600/700) remain on older Version 3.10 Firmware and older  Workbench Version 1.75 application  

I think the OP is looking for differences if features and functions between various models, rather than firmware updates. Just my guess.

That's right.  I was interested in whether there is a physical difference between a '11 JTV-69 and a '16 JTV-69 (for example).  Unless there's a hardware incompatibility issue, updating the firmware is not a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for the replies.

• 1 year later...

I had the same question mentioned above regarding 2011 vintage JTV-69 vs. more recent production (2016-17).   I am considering buying a "new old stock" JTV-69 with a W1109 serial number. 

In another thread on this forum (link here) discussing 2011 JTV-59s vs 2017 JTV-59s, a Line6 service engineer stated, "2017 will have a more up to date circuit board.  You can get the 2011 one and we can put a current board and firmware in it.  Or, get the 2017 one with with current board and firmware all in there already.  Either way is fine." 

When asked if the newer board made a difference he replied "A few minor things that are circuit level, and can't into with an end user.  Proprietary stuff I'm afraid. Getting functionality to work better and smoother."

I'm pretty sure those same comments would apply to the JTV-69 circuit boards as well.  That makes me really not want to get a 2011 JTV-69.  Can anyone confirm or refute the circuit board differences?  Are comment on whether there is a practical difference since they all seem to be capable of running the latest firmware?

Thanks!

Carl

I had the same question mentioned above regarding 2011 vintage JTV-69 vs. more recent production (2016-17). I am considering buying a "new old stock" JTV-69 with a W1109 serial number.

In another thread on this forum (link here) discussing 2011 JTV-59s vs 2017 JTV-59s, a Line6 service engineer stated, "2017 will have a more up to date circuit board. You can get the 2011 one and we can put a current board and firmware in it. Or, get the 2017 one with with current board and firmware all in there already. Either way is fine."

When asked if the newer board made a difference he replied "A few minor things that are circuit level, and can't into with an end user. Proprietary stuff I'm afraid. Getting functionality to work better and smoother."

I'm pretty sure those same comments would apply to the JTV-69 circuit boards as well. That makes me really not want to get a 2011 JTV-69. Can anyone confirm or refute the circuit board differences? Are comment on whether there is a practical difference since they all seem to be capable of running the latest firmware?

Thanks!

Carl

Well to get an answer to this, you're gonna have to see if someone chimes on who happens to own guitars with both versions of the circuit board...might be a long wait. There's also the distinct possibility that it's hard to tell the difference just by eyeballing them.

I'd be willing to bet that you'd never be able to tell the difference anyway...the models are all the same, whether it's a JTV, Standard, or Shuriken. If the presence or absence of a particular circuit board made any discernable difference, there'd have been a riot by now. We'd all be wading through "I'm stuck with a $hitty JTV from 2011, and it's not fair" threads.

The 69 uses the same boards and firmware as the 59's, 89's and 89F's.

The only thing that separates them is a part of the program that tells it which guitar it is.

It's a little discernible to me because I've worked on so many of these. BTW, yours is from

2012 and should have the current board revision, with a more recent firmware, maybe 2.20

or 2.21-ish firmware. Unless you rolled it back to v1.90 for a patch you like, as some do.

You should be doing a bit better. Some send theirs in for a good going over including updates on hardware.

@ mbrendzel,... btw, the current v2.22 firmware came in 2017.

And if ever there's a problem with a guitar, log a ticket with support, maybe send it in and

I'll give it my usual fine tooth comb of TLC. It's what I do here.

I'd be willing to bet that you'd never be able to tell the difference anyway...the models are all the same, whether it's a JTV, Standard, or Shuriken. If the presence or absence of a particular circuit board made any discernable difference, there'd have been a riot ny now. We'd all be wading through "I'm stuck with a $hitty JTV from 2011, and it's not fair" threads.

Exactly - this particular concern is basically hypochondriac in nature.

They're not talking about anything that will affect the sound. They're talking about stuff like consolidating the low-level electrical functionality of two chips into one. The input is still the same 6 L.R. Baggs piezo pickups routed into a high-quality multichannel A/D converter, and the DSP math is identical.

If anything, why wouldn't one assume that the newer circuit boards are more economical and efficient, and therefore cheaper and flimsier?

This is a non-issue.

New rev board had some minor hardware changes to work better electronically.

Firmware,... a few tweaks with each revision over the years (normalizing some patches,

Workbench HD flow,... stuff like that).

Oh, and the Models in the Shuriken are different. Aside from several good ole standard

patches, the rest were artist patches created by Stevic McKay. After all, the Shuriken is his design.

I'd be willing to bet that you'd never be able to tell the difference anyway...the models are all the same, whether it's a JTV, Standard, or Shuriken. If the presence or absence of a particular circuit board made any discernable difference, there'd have been a riot by now. We'd all be wading through "I'm stuck with a $hitty JTV from 2011, and it's not fair" threads.

They're not talking about anything that will affect the sound. They're talking about stuff like consolidating the low-level electrical functionality of two chips into one. The input is still the same 6 L.R. Baggs piezo pickups routed into a high-quality multichannel A/D converter, and the DSP math is identical.

Good points, thanks for talking some sense into me!