Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Complicated rig question

ja3k3l

Hey guys,

PLEASE HELP!

My rig:

Guitar into tube amp - amp out into pod - pod into eq board - eq into marshal cab.

*out does not cancel out the sound of the tube amp

This is how I get the tone that I want. Its subtle effects and control over gain in the low and middle end, with the treble on 10 on the amp, sound so tasteful when mixed correctly. 

One sticky problem is that I really would like to able to use certain effects before and after my tube amp, that way I can choose which go into the cab. 

Is there any way to do this? 

Thank you!

You risk trashing the amp and the pod. They are not designed to work together like that. The amp should only be connected to the cab. Nothing in between. Google impedance...

If the amp has an fx loop use that (check the threads on 4 cable method) or go from the pod too the in on the amp.

You risk trashing the amp and the pod. They are not designed to work together like that. The amp should only be connected to the cab. Nothing in between. Google impedance...

If the amp has an fx loop use that (check the threads on 4 cable method) or go from the pod too the in on the amp.

Thank you guys for your help, thankfully nothing was destroyed. (maybe it wasn't destroyed as fast because I have a really thick cable from the eq to the cab?) Unfortunately my amp does not have an fx loop, I would really like to mod it now, but Ive only had it for a day so I dont really wanna jump the gun.

Is it still safe to use my mixer in between the amp and cab?

OP, are you saying you played your rig like that and didn't hurt your electronics? That's amazing to me. If so, glad nothing happened.

Not at all, after reading what you guys are saying I figure I'm fortunate.

So my question now is: 

Are there any mods, or pedals and such, that will allow me to put my eq between my amp and cab?

Not at all, after reading what you guys are saying I figure I'm fortunate.

So my question now is: 

Are there any mods, or pedals and such, that will allow me to put my eq between my amp and cab?

What kind of tube amp do you have and what In's and Out's does it have?

I am going to sound like a lollipop saying this, but I don't lollipopping care. Because you lollipopped up real bad and got damn lucky so I am just going to come right out and say it... 

Because you were hooking up gear between your amp and head, you have made it painfully obvious that you do not have the experience to try to mod anything. 

So, no, there are no mods you can try. There are no pedals to buy. 

Save your money because I have a feeling that your gear is going to need repaired/replaced long before any of ours will. 

I am going to sound like a lollipop saying this, but I don't lollipopping care. Because you lollipopped up real bad and got damn lucky so I am just going to come right out and say it... 

Because you were hooking up gear between your amp and head, you have made it painfully obvious that you do not have the experience to try to mod anything. 

Save your money because I have a feeling that your gear is going to need repaired/replaced long before any of ours will. 

I appreciate your concern, but the thing is I wouldn't being doing any mods myself, I have a friend whose done it before, all I would need to do is buy the parts. Besides, everything is a learning process, so for you to get aggravated serves no purpose, I, and most others, are here to learn. Your censorship is only preventing me from learning more. 

If you really wanna be helpful, then give me a resource so I can learn about this stuff. 

I have a fender champ x2, with input, out, and footswitch. Sadly no fx loop

I've read that channel 1 on the super champ x2 bypasses the modeling in the amp. If yours is the super champ x2 maybe you should set the pod to studio direct and input the pods 1/4" analog out into the amps channel 1. If not try to figure out how to get a clean patch on it and try the aforementioned.

I'm not familiar with that particular amp I just searched a little and found this thread > http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/superchamp-x2-clean-channel-quick-question.197988/ . Read that thread for more ideas. Also > http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/champ-x2-thoughts-review.152568/

You could just try to set up the most transparent patch on your amp and do what I mentioned. This way you could try to set up the pods graphic EQ if you want to try to cut your guitars highs and lows before the amp. If I had that amp I would try every possible logical combination until I found what works best for me. Hope this helps some.

Edited by Brazzy
  • Upvote 1

Dude, bottom line is do not put anything between the power amp and cab except for speaker cables.

Your use of the eq shows that perhaps you should check alternative choices in speakers. If the head doesn't have a loop and ''you must'' use the ext eq get a different head so you can utilize one in the fx loop.

https://www.google.com/#q=head+to+cab+basics

-B

I recommend switching to an acoustic guitar until you understand amps and cabs.

WOW, great advice dude!

I've been playing with a cab and head for a while, experimenting is not something unheard of you know, but now I've learned so I know what not to do. 

I've read that channel 1 on the super champ x2 bypasses the modeling in the amp. If yours is the super champ x2 maybe you should set the pod to studio direct and input the pods 1/4" analog out into the amps channel 1. If not try to figure out how to get a clean patch on it and try the aforementioned.

I'm not familiar with that particular amp I just searched a little and found this thread > http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/superchamp-x2-clean-channel-quick-question.197988/ . Read that thread for more ideas. Also > http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/champ-x2-thoughts-review.152568/

You could just try to set up the most transparent patch on your amp and do what I mentioned. This way you could try to set up the pods graphic EQ if you want to try to cut your guitars highs and lows before the amp. If I had that amp I would try every possible logical combination until I found what works best for me. Hope this helps some.

Your last paragraph pretty much explains how I got myself in this mess. Thanks for you advice, I will try it out!

• Upvote 1

Some of you guys are being flat mean to an obviously first time user who seams to have an ear for the tone he wants...

Suggestion...

Ditch the Fender Modeling Amp and Just use the Line 6 unit...

If money is an issue a Roland powered monitor for electric drums works great... As most of us do just take our Line 6 Floor units only to gigs where a PA is already there...

You can also use the powered monitor for your own personal monitor when using it out...

Experimentation is fine until you burn up a $500 PODHD and who knows what he paid for his EQ.  You want to experiment - be my guest.  Education is expensive.

This thread reminds of the story about the difference between a mother and a father.

--------------

Mother sees her child about to put his finger in a light socket and runs over and grabs him and tells him gently that he shouldn't do that.

Father sees his child about to put a finger in a light socket and says "Hehe, watch this..."

--------------

Its not so much as being mean but expressing the seriousness of the situation.

Who knows what the impedance load was on the head and the OP was lucky it didn't fry that in addition to toasting the Pod.

In the end no harm no foul. :)

-B

• Upvote 1

Ja3k3l, 

The amp/loop return is pre-power amp section of your amp.  

There should be nothing between the speaker out of your amp and the speaker cabinet as this is a powered signal and will fry anything else you put there.

If your amp does not have an effects loop, you'll have to run the POD in front of the amp, i.e.; guitar-pod-amp-speaker.  No other option is available to you under this setup.

If your amp does indeed have an effects loop, you would run it as follows: guitar, amp, effects send to pod in, pod out to effects return, speaker out of amp to speaker cab in.  Done.

I hope that is helpful to you.

UNPLUG THAT IMMEDIATELY 

That's what I was thinking at first, but clearly he's not describing exactly how everything is connected. It reminds me of some of the thousands of calls I answered in tech support. Eventually, the real issue is uncovered, but I LOVE your response!

That's what I was thinking at first, but clearly he's not describing exactly how everything is connected. It reminds me of some of the thousands of calls I answered in tech support. Eventually, the real issue is uncovered, but I LOVE your response!

I read it a few times before I posted trying to make sure that I didn't misunderstand something. 

Dude, most of your posts seem to show a massive amount of sand in your vagina, chill out eh, you don't need to be so aggressive....

• Downvote 1

Father sees his child about to put a finger in a light socket and says "Hehe, watch this..."

--------------

"You wanna do what? Put a penny in the light socket? You go ahead and try that out...hurts, don't it? Don't do that no more." - Jeff Foxworthy on child-rearing. ;)

Dude, most of your posts seem to show a massive amount of sand in your vagina, chill out eh, you don't need to be so aggressive....

Some MF'er comes here doing something stupid. We tell him to stop. We tell him that he is lucky that he still has gear. 

And then he wants to continue doing what he is doing. 

Damn straight that my mangina got sand in it. 

He seems like the kind of guy that would try to return his unit or have it serviced under warranty and then trash the brand online because it didn't last --- all because he was too stupid to know.