Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FRFR on Helix and other questions

manix1979

Hi!

1.) I use a Line6 HD 100 with a Marshall 1960A cabinet.

The Helix is plugged on the backside of the amp into

"power amp" to jump over the built in sounds.

Is it possible to add global EQ settings or add an effect block what makes it sound like the amp and the cabinet?

I have no idea how to make it but it is important for making

sounds at home and not in the tuning room.

2.) What are good EQ settings to have a powerful sound

and to get not blown away by bass, keyboard, drums and voice with the gear above.

Thanks for help.

• Upvote 1

It's very hard to understand what you're trying to do based on your description.  I'm not sure what purpose the HD 100 is serving in this case, and it's not clear if you have any signal being directed through the Helix.  You said you have the Helix plugged into the Marshall "power amp", but exactly where is your guitar plugged in?  Is it plugged into the HD 100 or the Helix?

Most people in your situation are either using the 4CM approach or going direct into the Helix and then into the power amp of amplifier.  Without understanding what you're doing it's hard to give you any ideas on how to get you where you want to be.

Ok sorry for my bad info.

My chain is the following: Guitar -> Helix "Guitar In" ->

Helix "1/4" left" -> HD 100 "power amp".

Sounds made 100% by Helix.

No additional tweaking on the amp. Only presence and volume.

I never tried the 4CM because I have no amp at home.

Pease correct me if the 4CM could lead me to my goal.

My goal is to edit the helix sounds at home with a EQ or something to have almost the same sound as in the tuning room. If it's a effect block or just global EQ it does not matter much.

Maybe a good IR could lead to the goal as well.

As I told I have not really an idea how to have

similar sounds at home and in tuning room.

turn off any cab sims in Helix. You don't need them. Use the preamps not the amps, when you make your patches.

Stop worrying about "global EQ". Just adjust the Helix amp sounds the way you want them, listening through the cabinet.

Also, if you play your patches and make them sound real quiet, know that when you turn them up real loud they will change BIG time. You have to tweak your patches at gig volume.

As I understand it, the power amp in on the Spider Valve simply drives the signal through the tube amp portion of the amp.  Therefore all you need is an output cabinet.   But it sounds like all you have is the amp head and no cabinet.

Regardless, I'm still not sure what you mean by the same sound as the "tuning room".  Maybe you just need to start at the beginning and read through the basic documentation a bit so you can help us understand what you're asking, because there are a LOT of different answers here depending on what it is you're trying to do.  If you simply want to create the sound of a Twin Reverb amp and speaker, all you technically need is a Twin Reverb amp and cabinet block.  The same with a Marshall or any other amp.  You can use headphones to hear them.  The amp block contains all the EQ controls of the original amp along with gain and volume controls.

Totally missunderstood ;-)

For example... i create a tone at home on the pc,

take my helix to the tuning room where the amp is and it sounds completely diffrent.

Is there a way where i could add an effect block or play with the global EQ to have a good solution?

Maybe I could come close to that with a good IR?

The sense for this way is to have not the double work.

For me it's clear that it sounds diffrent on both setups.

At home is no amp available ;-)

Or maybe a software solution what emulates the amp with the cab?

Regards

Here's the problem you have.

The Helix is dependent upon whatever output mechanism you choose to direct it through.  If you design your patch on one type of setup such as studio monitors or headphones, then play it back through a different system such as an amplifier and cabinet, there are going to be any number of differences between the amp and cab models you used at home and the amp and cabinet being used at the tuning room.  You could possibly try to modify the patch with EQ, but that's something you'd have to do by ear.  No one is really going to be able to tell you exactly how to modify the patch to get you where you it sounds right.  That's just through experimentation and your ears.

Totally missunderstood ;-)

For example... i create a tone at home on the pc,

take my helix to the tuning room where the amp is and it sounds completely diffrent.

This has always been, and will always be the case. The gear is irrelevant. Our perception of sound varies with volume. Period. Biology is undefeated, and will win this fight every time. It was like this in 1968 when everybody's rig was a guitar, a cable, and an amp, and it's true now with all our fancy digital crap. Trying to EQ your way out of this problem by guessing at global EQ settings ahead of time is a colossal waste of time. There are no magic settings that apply to every player and listening environment. Global EQ is for minor changes from one room to the next.

Turn up, tweak, save. Those are your gig patches. Turn down, tweak, save...those are your comfy living room volume patches.

• Upvote 1