Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone tried emulating the Friedman BE-OD Pedal?

DarrellM5

I can say for sure Glenn's Booteek patches are good.  The Friedman is great but the others are stellar too.  I am really looking forward to the Bias Distortion Pedal coming out soon.  It will let you profile pedals like a Kemper and I'm sure ther will be lots of great profiles posted.  May be a great addition to the Helix...

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-distortion/

I can say for sure Glenn's Booteek patches are good.  The Friedman is great but the others are stellar too.  I am really looking forward to the Bias Distortion Pedal coming out soon.  It will let you profile pedals like a Kemper and I'm sure ther will be lots of great profiles posted.  May be a great addition to the Helix...

https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-distortion/

Wow!!!  This is the 1st I've heard of that pedal.  If it lives up to the hype, it will be a game changer for sure.

• Upvote 1

I just spent the last hour playing my BE-OD into my Friedman runt (on clean channel). Definitely a killer pedal! Sooooo much gain on tap. I've got the internal gain trim all the way down and the pedal gain most of the way down, and it's still got a ton of gain!

It almost behaves like an amp and cab model; strangely. I will load up Glenn's boutique BE100 patch and give them a listen side by side.. From what I remember, Glenn's patch is very Friedman realistic! The Runt drive channel has a toggle switch to go from regular gain to higher / BE100 gain territory, and the BE-OD into clean channel can be dialed in quite close, so I would imagine Helix can get you there too!

• Upvote 1

I just spent the last hour playing my BE-OD into my Friedman runt (on clean channel). Definitely a killer pedal! Sooooo much gain on tap. I've got the internal gain trim all the way down and the pedal gain most of the way down, and it's still got a ton of gain!

It almost behaves like an amp and cab model; strangely. I will load up Glenn's boutique BE100 patch and give them a listen side by side.. From what I remember, Glenn's patch is very Friedman realistic! The Runt drive channel has a toggle switch to go from regular gain to higher / BE100 gain territory, and the BE-OD into clean channel can be dialed in quite close, so I would imagine Helix can get you there too!

I'm looking forward to your results.

I went ahead and bought Glenn's boutique pack a couple hours ago and I'm completely blown away by the tones.  The BE-100 patch is incredible.  Actually, all of them sound amazing.  I didn't want to stop playing but I have to work tomorrow.  I can't wait to spend more time exploring them.

I'm looking forward to your results.

I went ahead and bought Glenn's boutique pack a couple hours ago and I'm completely blown away by the tones.  The BE-100 patch is incredible.  Actually, all of them sound amazing.  I didn't want to stop playing but I have to work tomorrow.  I can't wait to spend more time exploring them.

Nice! Except for the have to go to work part - been there, work comes early on just a few hours sleep! :)

And Yeah; Glenn's new set of presets is dynamite! 

I managed to get the house to myself from Sunday to Wednesday, and I have Monday-Tuesday off work, so I'm making the most of my time! Back to work Wednesday a.m. for me so I will have daytime / afternoon tomorrow (today!) to mess with this some more before I have to wrap it up and get some sleep (was up late last night too lamenting the Cubs loss; but ended up playing a ton of guitar as a result, so it all works out!)

That being said, I just did a very quick test; interesting results! I put the BE-OD pedal into an FX loop of Helix, and ran it into a clean amp model (twin), into a pair of IR panned hard left and right with some reverb on each.

While I can say this pedal is pretty epic - I can also say so is Glenn's Friedman / BE100 patch!! He totally nailed the Friedman vibe!

I also tried just running the BE-OD directly into IR; that sort of worked, but it seemed to hold together better going into a clean amp model.

Will do some more messing with this tomorrow when I'm more awake; in the meantime - and please forgive my sloppy playing - here is a clip of that BE_OD + Helix thing...

Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/recordingforbin/be-od-helix

IR left = 3Sigma Friedman 412 2a

IR right = 3Sigma Friedman 412 3a

amp model = mail order twin default settings

and noise gate after the fx loop

• Upvote 1

Just purchased Glenn's boutique collection.... only question I have is that I am running my Helix in 4CM. Can I use the IRs in this way...?

Not a good idea.  Glenn's patches recreate the booteek amps with a combination of Helix amp models, cabs, IRs and FX.  If you are using your Preamp 4CM it negates most of his work.  However, If you just use his patch to the FX Return of your amp it will work great.  Just don't try to use your own preamp on his patches.

Yeah; this pedal is fun! Once again, if you can overlook my sloppy lousy playing; here's a track I just did. One take improvised a rhythm track over SDX drums, then did an overdub noodling randomly over it. No editing, just mixed it together with a mixing limiter plugin in ProTools..

I will now warm up a bit and tune up and try to put something more listenable together... :)

https://soundcloud.com/recordingforbin/be-od-helix_2

• Upvote 1

Yeah; this pedal is fun! Once again, if you can overlook my sloppy lousy playing; here's a track I just did. One take improvised a rhythm track over SDX drums, then did an overdub noodling randomly over it. No editing, just mixed it together with a mixing limiter plugin in ProTools..

I will now warm up a bit and tune up and try to put something more listenable together... :)

https://soundcloud.com/recordingforbin/be-od-helix_2

Some great playing in there.  Some of the licks reminded me a bit of Steve Morse's style when he was playing with the 'Dixie Dregs'.

• Upvote 1