Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Error... Badly formatted response from device

mileskb

Has anyone seen this error before on the editor.

It happens when I switch to a particular Setlist.   Additionally that setlist has a "copy" of the next setlist up in the chain.

What happened was I had a setlist called "TheHelixChannel" and as I needed some more room I renamed another setlist "TheHelixChannel+" (note the + at the end).   But on the Helix unit itself, I noticed that it doesn't read that many characters in the window so I figured I'll change the second list to "MoreHelixChannel" and while it did change, I then got the " Badly formatted response from device" error.

I turned the device off and on, and when it came back on, after doing a very long "rebuilding presets" routine, the new setlist had the same content as the original one from the next slot.

And he're where is gets weird... (yeah)

1. Any time I try to select a preset in the "bad" setlist, I get a  "Timeout Waiting for response from device" error.

2. When I switch to the original setlist, well things aren't normal there either, as I can switch to a preset, and the name of the preset appears in the Editor, but only the "patch location" (02b, 02c, etc) appears on the Helix itself, not the preset name. The blocks are there, and it works, just no Preset Name.

3. When I switch to the "bad" setlist...  I get the "Badly formatted response from device" error" and as stated above,  "Timeout Waiting for response from device"  when I try to select any preset from that list.

I tried restoring from a bundle, and it didn't seem like it did anything.   In fact, rather than overwriting like I thought it would, everything was still there that I had changed, like the import of the bundle did nothing.

Has anyone seen this error before on the editor.

It happens when I switch to a particular Setlist.   Additionally that setlist has a "copy" of the next setlist up in the chain.

What happened was I had a setlist called "TheHelixChannel" and as I needed some more room I renamed another setlist "TheHelixChannel+" (note the + at the end).   But on the Helix unit itself, I noticed that it doesn't read that many characters in the window so I figured I'll change the second list to "MoreHelixChannel" and while it did change, I then got the " Badly formatted response from device" error.

I turned the device off and on, and when it came back on, after doing a very long "rebuilding presets" routine, the new setlist had the same content as the original one from the next slot.

And he're where is gets weird... (yeah)

1. Any time I try to select a preset in the "bad" setlist, I get a  "Timeout Waiting for response from device" error.

2. When I switch to the original setlist, well things aren't normal there either, as I can switch to a preset, and the name of the preset appears in the Editor, but only the "patch location" (02b, 02c, etc) appears on the Helix itself, not the preset name. The blocks are there, and it works, just no Preset Name.

3. When I switch to the "bad" setlist...  I get the "Badly formatted response from device" error" and as stated above,  "Timeout Waiting for response from device"  when I try to select any preset from that list.

I tried restoring from a bundle, and it didn't seem like it did anything.   In fact, rather than overwriting like I thought it would, everything was still there that I had changed, like the import of the bundle did nothing.

As long as you have everything backed up (twice) it sounds like it might be worth doing a global reset, letting that wipe out all your lists and presets and then restoring from backup. Btw, I never use bundles but use individual Setlist restores instead.

What version of the firmware are you on?

It happened to me too. As i remeber a had reset the helix this way: ENC3 & ENC4 - restore stock presets and setlists.

Since then I almost never import a setlist, I export presets to a folder and when I need them I drag and drop from this folder to a setlist.

This error never happened again.

I figured a reset was involved but just checking to ensure it wasn't something "new".    It's odd that the rest of the Helix seems to work just not those two setlists.  It's like because the names were initially almost identical only a "+" at the end of one, things went south.   

What really sucks is just prior I spent nearly two hours loading my IR's and assigning them.  I was just getting ready to "backup". 

I may backup the one setlist that reads good in the editor.  Afterall, the editor shows the presets correctly, the device is the issue.

Hey guys, I can't help with you problem as it it exists, but I suspect illegal naming.

I don't know this for sure, but I suspect you can't name things with symbols like + & ! # etc on the Helix itself?

You are doing that with the editor - am I correct?

If so, its just a typical computer - these characters are illegal - that's because they have programming applications and the Helix is seeing them as some form of expression it can't resolve.

Just a guess, but if you rename them in your backup and then do a full reinstall I suspect your problems are solved. 

Hey guys, I can't help with you problem as it it exists, but I suspect illegal naming.

I don't know this for sure, but I suspect you can't name things with symbols like + & ! # etc on the Helix itself?

You are doing that with the editor - am I correct?

If so, its just a typical computer - these characters are illegal - that's because they have programming applications and the Helix is seeing them as some form of expression it can't resolve.

Just a guess, but if you rename them in your backup and then do a full reinstall I suspect your problems are solved. 

Bazinga !!!!     You can use "-" but that's about it.  It lets you do it in the editor, but it really REALLY mucks up the device in a weird way.

There is no warning on the Helix, and in fact...  nothing seems wrong at all... until you start selecting presets.

I had renamed one of the setlists with a "+" and all looked fine in the editor.  I was even switching presets with NO ERROR... but when I looked down at the Helix, I noticed the presets that were coming up were actually the presets from the Factory 1 Setlist.

To be clear... the Editor was showing something like on user list 4  "01A MyCleanAmp" but the Helix was showing "01A US Double Norm" and was actually loading the US Double Norm, not the preset from the user list I was on, that the editor was indicating.

All other setlists were ok...   You'd think just renaming the setlist back would resolve the issue, but it doesn't.

With such limitations on length of naming conventions... they really need to trap that as an error..!!!!!   I was actually organizing my presets via Remote Desktop, so I couldn't see the Helix wasn't showing the same info that was in the editor.  The renaming was one of the first things I did, so I essentially wasted the next couple of hours without realizing the Helix was in lala land until I decided at the very end that I didn't like my name choice and tried to change it again... 

Bazinga !!!!     You can use "-" but that's about it.  It lets you do it in the editor, but it really REALLY mucks up the device in a weird way.

There is no warning on the Helix, and in fact...  nothing seems wrong at all... until you start selecting presets.

I had renamed one of the setlists with a "+" and all looked fine in the editor.  I was even switching presets with NO ERROR... but when I looked down at the Helix, I noticed the presets that were coming up were actually the presets from the Factory 1 Setlist.

To be clear... the Editor was showing something like on user list 4  "01A MyCleanAmp" but the Helix was showing "01A US Double Norm" and was actually loading the US Double Norm, not the preset from the user list I was on, that the editor was indicating.

All other setlists were ok...   You'd think just renaming the setlist back would resolve the issue, but it doesn't.

With such limitations on length of naming conventions... they really need to trap that as an error..!!!!!   I was actually organizing my presets via Remote Desktop, so I couldn't see the Helix wasn't showing the same info that was in the editor.  The renaming was one of the first things I did, so I essentially wasted the next couple of hours without realizing the Helix was in lala land until I decided at the very end that I didn't like my name choice and tried to change it again... 

Sheesh, the naming issue - reserved character was the first thing that occurred to me but I figured, "nah, no way L6 would allow it if it caused an issue" and as you say, renaming should have fixed it.  Good catch rvroberts!

Ok, so just a little additional info.. maybe some form of this should go as a bug report...

So apparently either importing or maybe exporting a setlist with a "bad name" the Helix will sortof resolves the issue by just eliminating the bad name.  It was kindofa "just for fun" I loaded a backup I made of the goofey setlist, and it reloaded just fine, no errors, .. HOWEVER (he said using all caps)..

the SAME preset (actually the US Double Nrm) was loaded into every spot.  Mind you this was a completely customized setlist originally...  

I just found it odd that the Helix allowed the bad characters and somehow replicated one preset into all of the slots, while maintaining the names I had for the presets that were supposed to be in those slots.   I thought something was wrong because every preset I chose sounded exactly the same, regardless of the name.

So now the big question...

WHAT ARE THE RESTRICTED CHARACTERS of a Setlist name, AND are there the same restrictions for PRESET names?

Because, I have presets that have & + - = . , and ' in them.  (they came from Scott, Glenn and Fremen)  

It seems this is only a restriction to Setlist name, not PreSet names.

Can someone confirm ?

I have presets with = in them and they never caused a problem.

Don't forget to add snapshots and scribble strips to the list, and whatever restrictions these might have. I suppose to find out what's allowed in any of these cases is to make note of what's allowed when renaming any of these things on the device.