Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Announcement: Line 6 software is compatible with macOS Sierra???

No, it is not.

Dear Line 6 - please answer me (and some other not really progressive and modern guitar players) - how can we edit our Variax guitars with your software (not by hand)?

Workbench HD does not work with my Variax 600. I though I am lucky, as I have JTV-69 also, but no go for old Variax.

What is the lifespan of a guitar?

Best,

Miro

post-292452-0-94396700-1476795241_thumb.jpg

I don't know how long a company should be expected to update a piece of legacy software like Workbench, to be honest. It's a tough call. The Variax 600 was discontinued in 2009 or 2010, so I'm not sure it's realistic to think that Line 6 will continue to support the original Workbench indefinitely. Nor do I think that it's realistic to expect Workbench HD to support the earlier Variax (the pre-HD firmware has some pretty major differences). So I don't know... I can see both sides. The long and short is that the Variax is a technology driven item, and the software that supports it is dependent on third-party operating systems. It seems it's inevitable that there will be a time when that software becomes obsolete. I guess the one workaround is keeping an older machine around for the sole purpose of running some of this older software.

What I am saying is that - I have different guitars. Some of them are quite rare and old. And I love them.

For some reason I love also my Variax guitars. I had to replace the saddles on my Variax 600 (my fault, damaged one by changing strings).

The problem is - the guitar is completely useless, as I cannot adjust volumes.

Try to look from user's perspective. I am not expecting firmware updates or nothing fancy like that. But - as the technology is not ancient really, I am expecting a crappy piece of software that will allow me to adjust my guitar. Like in "real" guitars I can replace frets, pickups, pots, whatever.

Unlocking Workbench HD for old Variax guitars, so we, users can still adjust them when needed, will be great move. Just that.

Otherwise - I am really afraid, that in two years, when you will release new SupraNova Variax guitars, all James Tyler will become trash (yes, they have magneto pickups - thx to that they will live a bit longer maybe), like my Variax 600 is today.

Because I cannot adjust pickups volume. Sounds funny, right?

And sorry - how shall I predict, that one day I will replace the saddles and need to adjust volume level, so I could keep an old mac "just in case". And how many of those old macs shall I keep to feel safe?

No, that is not an answer.

I understand your frustration, but like I said, I don't know if there's a clear line as to how long support for old software and discontinued products should last. I actually think it's more likely that there would be a patch to get the older version of Workbench working than Workbench HD would be modified to work with the older Variaxes. But, honestly, I don't see that as all that likely either...

No, that is not an answer.

Well you already know what the answer is - you just don't like it. But it's not going to change.

Old technology eventually becomes unsupported. That happens in every industry, including computers like Variax guitars that happen to have a human interface for guitar players rather than spreadsheet users. Your Variax 600 still works - you've just lost the ability to edit it using current operating systems. Like any piece of software, Workbench was initially released in a current state-of-the-art technology environment. As that environment evolves it becomes increasingly difficult to maintain the software. Eventually support is dropped. In some cases, like with Workbench HD, the original product is replaced with a new state-of-the-art product. Support for Workbench HD will eventually disappear too, but your JTV guitar will continue to work and you'll ba able to use Workbench HD as long as you want to keep an old computer system alive.

I can't think of any nearly 10-year old hardware/software products I have that still work with Win10. But they would continue to work if I wanted to keep a Win XP machine handy. I own a 5 year old Ford that can't connect to my iPhone. Of course I wouldn't be disappointed with that if they hadn't gone and made cell phones and Bluetooth almost standard in newer cars! I bought a new office printer/scanner recently because my old one was no longer supported. Same thing with my golf GPS device - couldn't update courses any more as of Win7. Computer-based guitars are no different.

But again, you already know all of this - you just don't like it. I too would like lifetime support (my lifetime - not theirs) for all software/hardware products. But it's not realistic.

Please, we are talking about GUITARS. I am from damn software industry, I know perfectly, how it works. And I am not talking about LIFETIME support, don't input any statements like that to me.

But - there are two differences:

1. A guitar is not a damn laptop
  2. I am not asking for updates for my guitar. I am saying, I shall have possibility to edit vital parameters of my guitar.

Think: USB shall not be backward compatible. Very LOL, huh?

Think also: how many Variax generations are between Variax 300-700 and James Tyler Variax? Right, at least six, I already forgot. Right, you shall not provide that basic support to such outdated products.

Ah no. There was the previous generation.

Sorry for the bit of sarcasm. And thank you for that discussion. I managed to cancel my order of Firehawk 1500 from Thomann. Germans are good guys.

Best,

Miro

PS

Funny thing is - my devastated gear I used in the very past being "musician"  - Roadstar RS440, GSP21 Pro (footswitch died) and old JCM-900 are still working and still sound quite OK.

1. A guitar is not a damn laptop
  2. I am not asking for updates for my guitar. I am saying, I shall have possibility to edit vital parameters of my guitar.

1) Right, a guitar is not a laptop. But a Variax 600 guitar is nothing but a computer with a non-standard human interface. It is an embedded software system housed in wood with unusual i/o interfaces. As you say you know very well how the software industry works.

2) You do have that possibility - you just need an older computer system that is able to run the software that communicates with your Variax computer. Line 6 has decided to no longer keep that old software current with new computer OS systems. Again, you know well how the software industry works.

... over and out.....

We live in a disposable economy. The giant TV on your wall is not gonna last you 30 years. We can argue all day long whether that's a good thing or not, but that really isn't the point.

Yes, they expect you to toss out the old guitar and buy the new version, and the next new version after that. And yes, that kinda sucks if you're inclined keep everything you've ever purchased forever. But the simple fact is, you just can't think of theses things the same way you would a vintage LP or Strat. They're just not...and I like mine. But one day, my 69 is just gonna be another Strat clone with a humbucker. Oh well. I could complain about that fact, but it would be about as productive as whining about gravity. It is what it is, and it ain't gonna change.

Let us end that "discussion" (not everything what I am buying, but guitars I collect)

If you allow me, I will cite you always, saying that Line 6 is not selling guitars. Is selling "computers with a non-standard human interface". And definitely Line 6 is just a company from software industry. :-)

And yes, I have damn virtual machine with old system. Probably not everyone is as lucky as me.

And again - you are right. I can't think about Variax guitars like I think about old good instruments. It's fantastic (as I said - I love my Variax 600 and JTV-69), but it's just a temporary toy not worth investing money, as it devaluates way to fast. :-)

​Was only saying that the product is not OLD. It's a PREVIOUS version. The basic functions shall be supported. BTW - when Line 6 introduced Workbench HD it worked with Variax 600. I cannot say when it stopped, as I am setting guitars once, and then probably never touching again (I had now as I replaced the saddles).

All the best cruisinon. Nothing personal ;-) We just discussed.

Have a nice (it's evening here), so have a nice evening ;-)

Miro

Miro,

Me too - I also feel your pain, I own Variax 600 - and no, not everyone as lucky as you having a virtual machine with an old system.

Sadly, I backed-up all my altered tunings and everything else in bundles to an 8" floppy disk -Doh!

Could be worse - I know a guy with 1934 National Duolian that may need a new cone!

Disaster.

Anyone know where I can get a new ribbon for a typewriter?

Miro,

Me too - I also feel your pain, I own Variax 600 - and no, not everyone as lucky as you having a virtual machine with an old system.

Sadly, I backed-up all my altered tunings and everything else in bundles to an 8" floppy disk -Doh!

Could be worse - I know a guy with 1934 National Duolian that may need a new cone!

Disaster.

You think that's bad? I just lost my last quill, I broke the ink well, and I'm out of parchment!

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for my weekly blood-letting. ;)

Yes, my damn 90-some years old uncle is still using typewriters: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Typewriter-Ribbon-Spool-Black/dp/B002BTLNKO

;-)

Nothing mechanical can compare to digital "lost".

PS

I just came back from my local store. Firehawk 1500 sounds amazing. But I will never buy it.

You think that's bad? I just lost my last quill, I broke the ink well, and I'm out odds parchment!

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for my weekly blood-letting. ;)

Outstanding! - LMAO!

Yes, my damn 90-some years old uncle is still using typewriters: https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Typewriter-Ribbon-Spool-Black/dp/B002BTLNKO

;-)

Nothing mechanical can compare to digital "lost".

PS

I just came back from my local store. Firehawk 1500 sounds amazing. But I will never buy it.

Damn - I thought typewriter ribbon would have bit the dust! Amazing.

If, as you say, you like the sound of the Firehawk 1500 - why will you never buy it? That doesn't make sense! What else would you choose?

I will paste a copy here of the info which I left for you in the other thread regarding Variax 600, Mavericks OS etc.

Guess you must have missed this one.

Miro,

I saw this post and also your other one in this thread (http://line6.com/sup...ra/?do=findComment&comment=178274)

I understand that you have an issue about the Line 6 software and the OSX updates, but there are "workarounds".

"As there is no software to edit old Variax (Variax 600 in my case) - shall I throw the guitar away???"

"Shall all those, who bought old Variax guitars just trash them?"

Quick answer - NO! There is software to edit your 600. You just need to use the newer Sierra compatible Line 6 Monkey v1.73 (Sept 2016) and the old version of Workbench v1.75 (2012). No need to trash anything. The older Variax models and the newer HD versions use different (modified) technology, so you need different software to communicate with each one. There doesn't seem to be a "universal language" for all models.

I have both a Variax 600 and a JTV59 model and simply have to make do with using Workbench HD for changing things in the JTV and use the older combination of Workbench and Monkey to hookup to the old 600 through the Variax USB interface . Not exactly an ideal solution, but it works. And, when I think about it, once I have loaded a selection of custom models and alternative tunings into the 600 I don't really need to access the old Workbench all that much. Same goes for the HD version - although it's nice to have it available, it's simply not something I need to use everyday, week or month.

I genuinely hope this helps. There was possibly a little too much sarcasm in the replies to the other post you made!

Best regards

Sorry for repeating the post here, but I thought it may help!

OMG, that discussion is so pointless. I feel like I talk to Apple fans.

datacommando:

There is no use of posting your answers twice, that brings no help really.

- I did not miss any answers. Just did not answer there. But - you missed mine, where I wrote I have virtual machine (with the old system).

- Why I will not buy any Line 6 products anymore? I prefer solid things with solid support. I love damn Ibanez and Marshall (I use those companies since 94). Expensive, but bullet-proof gear.

I used Line 6 from 2006. The idea of having full gear set from one company was really appealing to me, although the playability was not really there, but that is other thing. 10 years is long enough to realise, that the "flexibility" at home is not enough, having all hassles that come with maintaining.

For sure I will still use my Variaxes at home. Just, I will modify them, and forgot about the potential guarantee and support I could maybe get.

Please, stop now, as anything you will write is really pointless (I was trying to stop that discussion before, but I see so many Apple style fanboys cannot live without "beating stupid poster with the correct and funny answers".

OMG, that discussion is so pointless. I feel like I talk to Apple fans.

Please, stop now, as anything you will write is really pointless (I was trying to stop that discussion before, but I see so many Apple style fanboys cannot live without "beating stupid poster with the correct and funny answers".

OK, now I'm lost. Whom are we blaming now? Apple? L6? John Deere? (you call that a tractor?).

I thought we had established that this was all Line 6's fault...totally confused about who I'm supposed to hate now, and there's nothing worse than misdirected righteous indignation. It's like swinging at a piñata...sometimes you end up cracking somebody over the head who didn't deserve it. ;)

cruisinon - I was not writing to you, calm down. :-) Hate? I will not be surprised, if you will mix Jesus and all kind of prophets in that discussion :-)

Please, kill this thread. We don't need any more discussion here. All was said.

The little smiley face at the end means "just goofing around"...just in case that wasn't clear.

Please, kill this thread. We don't need any more discussion here. All was said.

Okey dokey dude,

We were just trying to help - obviously not good enough.

Dazed and confused!

I'm outta here, I need to communicate with people who understand what is happening!

Workbench HD does not work with my Variax 600.

Variax 300/500/600/700 all use the original Workbench app

download it here:

http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=5162

--Workbench

Version 1.75

Released 7/26/12

You need a compatible VDI interface  (PODXT Live, HD500, or VDI-USB interface and a compatible OS ( see the Read me files) 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how long a company should be expected to update a piece of legacy software like Workbench, to be honest. It's a tough call. The Variax 600 was discontinued in 2009 or 2010, so I'm not sure it's realistic to think that Line 6 will continue to support the original Workbench indefinitely. Nor do I think that it's realistic to expect Workbench HD to support the earlier Variax (the pre-HD firmware has some pretty major differences). So I don't know... I can see both sides. The long and short is that the Variax is a technology driven item, and the software that supports it is dependent on third-party operating systems. It seems it's inevitable that there will be a time when that software becomes obsolete. I guess the one workaround is keeping an older machine around for the sole purpose of running some of this older software.

I understand the concept of planned obsolescence. That's understandable when there are newer products with the latest features. For myself, and every other left handed person that owns the only lefty model guitar Line 6 ever made (Variax 500), we have nowhere to turn. I don't think it is unreasonable for a software company to support their products at least until a newer model is available. 

I understand the concept of planned obsolescence. That's understandable when there are newer products with the latest features. For myself, and every other left handed person that owns the only lefty model guitar Line 6 ever made (Variax 500), we have nowhere to turn. I don't think it is unreasonable for a software company to support their products at least until a newer model is available.

Nothing lasts forever...and unfortunately, forever arrives a whole lot quicker than it used to. We could argue the pluses and minuses all day, but it is what it is.

And while I sympathize with your plight, I wouldn't count on any more lefty Variax guitars, either. These things are niche products as it is. Most righty players don't know they exist. How many lefties could they possibly have sold? Dollar $ign$ make the$e deci$ion$...

I get that the 300, 500, 600, and 700 etc, are "obsolete"... But if Line 6 isn't going to make an updated version of the Variax LEFT HANDED (and they haven't, and seem to refuse to answer anyones questions about that), then they IN THE VERY LEAST should keep the workbench software updated, to at least offer the slightest bit of support for left handed players like myself. Since they seem to have no intension of creating an updated Variax, left handed.

is there any way i can get standard workbench (non HD) to work with OS-X El Capitan??

Hi slydawg65,

Short answer YES! See my earlier posts in this thread (#15 above)

I have both versions on my Mac running El Cap - HD version for my JTV59 and the older version is still on there to communicate with my ancient Variax 600.

If your non HD version is not working, then you may need to update various bits of software (Monkey etc.) to the latest releases that do work with El Cap.

Hope this helps.