Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M9 Midi - Time Sync

LosHongos

Hello

I recently purchased a m9. I'm not really into midi systems (actually never used one).

I was wondering if there's any way to sync effect's tempo through the midi input. If it's possible, what kind of device I need to do it? Is there any kind of metronome with a midi output capable of that? Thank you

The industry standard for doing this is called MIDI clock. The M9 will respond to a MIDI clock signal, but it doesn't send its own. The other way you can sync the M9's tap tempo with another device is by sending the tap signal with MIDI. Before I go too far down the road of getting into details, though, I'd need to know what other pedals you're looking to sync with the M9.

Thank you for your reply. The drummer in my band uses a metronome, so I was trying to figure if it's possible to have my m9's fx synced with it. He's using a Boss DB90 which has a midi input. So I can send the tap signal from m9 to the metronome through the midi output?

Another question: is there any way to sync the loop station with the tap tempo? Playing with a metronome, I'd need a 100% perfect timing which is practically impossible, and even a 1ms delay would be increased in a few repetitions.. I know that some loop stations have a system to cut the loop and make it fit precisely to the beat

Sorry for my english, hope that what I'm saying is understandable :)

The DB-90 can't send MIDI clock data, but it does respond to it. So it's similar to the M9 in that sense. If you want to sync everything together, you'll have to have something to generate a MIDI clock signal - something like this: http://www.kaom.com/TEMPODE_Pedalboard_MIDI_Clock_Injector_p/built_009.htm

The other issue is going to be how to split the MIDI signal, then. The M9 doesn't have a MIDI thru, so you're looking at another additional box - something like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIthru2?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=COPy2ZKTqLkCFdBaMgodwBMAiA

So you'd take a MIDI cable from the MIDI clock pedal to the MIDI through box and then one cable from that to the DB-90 and another to the M9.

Personally, it seems like a lot of cabling and a lot of extra work to accomplish something relatively minor. I would probably say "forget it" and stick to tapping the beat in manually. As far the M9's looper, it doesn't have a quantize function, and there's no way to sync it to the tap tempo.

• 9 years later...