Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question about using a power amp

SvenMagnus

Hi,

I'm new here. I ordered a Helix Rack yesterday, and it should be arriving tomorrow. I'm really excited :)

I plan to use it mostly for recording (for now), but want to keep gigging in mind too.

The Helix will go into a rack with my Laney IRT Studio. My plan is to send the Helix's out the IRT's effects return. What I'd like to do is record both a dry signal and a processed signal from the Helix into Logic, and also capture the sound that goes through the Laney's power amp, both direct (USB) and mic'ed through my iso cab. At least at the start, so I can determine what I like best.

Would it be possible to send a signal out of the Helix's output that bypasses the power amp and speaker models to the IRT, and a signal with these things enabled through USB, at the same time? And if it's possible, is it easy to set up for existing patches?

I was thinking that for live, this could be good too... send the full signal through xlr, and the non-power-amped signal to the IRT, for monitoring purposes.

Or is there a benefit to sending a signal that already has poweramp and cab sim to the Laney? I've seen a video about the Amplifire where the reviewer recommended doing just that, even if it seems weird... so maybe that would also sound good when doing it with the Helix.

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated, because it will help me get set up quicker once my Helix arrives :)

Thanks!

You can easily send the signal to both places.  You could send the same full amp signal to both, applying a cab sim only to the USB or you could set up a parallel path with a matching preamp model to feed the Laney while sending the full amp to the USB.  Lots of options but there are no separate modeled power amp only blocks in Helix.

You can easily send the signal to both places.  You could send the same full amp signal to both, applying a cab sim only to the USB or you could set up a parallel path with a matching preamp model to feed the Laney while sending the full amp to the USB.  Lots of options but there are no separate modeled power amp only blocks in Helix.

Thanks for your response!

If there are no separate power amp blocks, doesn't that mean that you can't simulate a traditional signal path, where you put delay etc after the preamp, but before the poweramp and speaker? I may be missing something though...

Thanks for your response!

If there are no separate power amp blocks, doesn't that mean that you can't simulate a traditional signal path, where you put delay etc after the preamp, but before the poweramp and speaker? I may be missing something though...

that is true, however in modeling world it doesn't seem to really matter.  You can put it before the cab block or after as well, unlike the real world...

I run stereo feeds on my TS 1/4 outs to my FRFR rig and stereo XLR feeds to my power amp rig. I also have a line out loop send that goes out to my Mel9 and Trio (to the FRFR rig) but does not return to the Helix.Helix is made to use all sorts of outs at the same time, there are multiple USB as well. 

• Upvote 1