Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with External Looper

mgriffith

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance on how I can use my Helix with an external looper (Boss RC-3, for example)? I am not using an amp. My Helix goes to my studio monitors. Where in the chain do I put the RC-3?

I just got my Helix and am really loving it. I just don't know how to use my RC-3 with it.

Thanks!

-Michael

Thanks for the quick reply! Previous chain was: Guitar to Tuner to Octave to Drive to Amp. FX Send to Delay to Reverb to Looper to FX Return. 

If I run it through a Helix FX Loop, will it work the same as it did in my previous signal chain? 

Really appreciate the guidance! 

Actually, this raises an interesting question. Can a specific FX send\return block only be used once in a chain. The conundrum for me with my external looper is always whether to put it before or after my chain. Before, and you get the dry signal which allows you to alter by adding\removing effects. After and the FX are obviously stamped on the captured loop. For different scenarios each is advantageous. In the past I've had to physically recable, but it just strikes me maybe there's a virtual way. So what I'd propose is have external looper pedal in FX Send \ Return 1. Then add block 1 output and return both at the start of the chain and at the end of the chain. Then just activate\deactivate as appropriate. My senses tell me that you can only use a single instance of the send return per preset, but you never know.

Actually, this raises an interesting question. Can a specific FX send\return block only be used once in a chain. The conundrum for me with my external looper is always whether to put it before or after my chain. Before, and you get the dry signal which allows you to alter by adding\removing effects. After and the FX are obviously stamped on the captured loop. For different scenarios each is advantageous. In the past I've had to physically recable, but it just strikes me maybe there's a virtual way. So what I'd propose is have external looper pedal in FX Send \ Return 1. Then add block 1 output and return both at the start of the chain and at the end of the chain. Then just activate\deactivate as appropriate. My senses tell me that you can only use a single instance of the send return per preset, but you never know.

DI stated in the mega-thread over on TGP:

Sends, Returns, and FX Loops can all be either mono or stereo. Multiple instances of the same Sends can be created, but only one of each Return can exist in a preset.

Sends can act as Output Blocks and Returns can act as Input blocks if desired.

A send before and another after the signal chain running to the looper would definitely be useful then with the return being at the end of the chain so you could dictate whether a dry it wet signal was imprinted on the looper merely by activating or deactivating a block. Nice one.

• 1 month later...

Actually, this raises an interesting question. Can a specific FX send\return block only be used once in a chain. The conundrum for me with my external looper is always whether to put it before or after my chain. Before, and you get the dry signal which allows you to alter by adding\removing effects.

It depends on the looper, as well. The Ditto X4, for example, can store loops that can be played later, as well as saving them to your computer as AIFF and WAV. If you have the looper after the FX and preamp, you can record a loop to the device with a certain FX and Amp setting - such as clean with some echo for a backing sequence - and save it to the device, then change the FX and amp so something with an edgy lead tone and play live with the edgy guitar on top of the clean loop.

• Upvote 1

As a brand new HELIX owner....

Does the Snapshots feature, support the repositioning amongst Snapshots of Send and/or Return Blocks in the signal path? Or, are Snapshots limited to Enabled vs. Bypassed and different Value Settings of a Block's Parameters?

As a brand new HELIX owner....

Does the Snapshots feature, support the repositioning amongst Snapshots of Send and/or Return Blocks in the signal path? Or, are Snapshots limited to Enabled vs. Bypassed and different Value Settings of a Block's Parameters?

Snapshots don't remember block positions. They can, however remember both Split > A/B parameters and Gain block on/off which can determine which paths are active.

Nice! I'm looking forward to getting familar with HELIX once I start using it. It arrived, was unboxed, powered on and burned in Tuesday. Flashed it from fw 1.06.5 to 2.10 Wednesday, and it's been protected from all things Turkey since. It now awaits first use.... I'll most likely read through the User Manual again today and jump in this wknd :)

• 3 months later...

Hey,

I use my Helix with an external looper for solo acoustic, live looping stuff. The flexible and highly configurable routing options on the Helix are awesome!

My setup is a Helix and an external pedal board. On the board, I have a Boomerang III looper and Boomerang Sidecar, a HC Helicon Harmony G-XT, and a BeatBuddy. I plug my acoustic directly into the Helix and use that as the input for Path 1. First thing on that path is a Send to the Harmony G-XT so it can analyze the guitar signal, but the thru on the send is unattenuated. After some basic effects the guitar signal gets sent to the Boomerang via an FX Loop block.

My microphone plugs into the G-XT. The "dry" (no harmony) output goes to one of the returns on the Helix and serves as the input to Path 2A. The harmony-only output on the G-XT goes into another return on the Helix and gets inserted in the same path. It's controlled by a foot switch on the Helix so I can turn harmonies on or off via the Helix; the G-XT is pretty much in set-and-forget mode. After some effects, the vocal signal gets sent to the Boomerang using the same FX Loop channel as the guitar. This is also controlled with a Helix foot switch so I can choose whether or not to sample the vocals with the looper. But the vocals always go to the output.

Path 2B is used for the BeadBuddy via the AUX input. The output is set to 1/4" only (the others are all "Multi"). I have the headphone output set to only monitor the 1/4" outputs. This way with in-ears I can hear the BeatBuddy but it doesn't go out to the house, which I feed with the XLR outputs of the Helix. I use the BeatBuddy mostly as a click track for me and MIDI clock for the Boomerang. But I have a second preset that is identical to this one that has the output of Path 2B set to "Multi" for songs where I want to use a drum track.

People talk a lot about the great modeling abilities of the Helix, but the extensive routing options shouldn't be overlooked.

• Upvote 1

Hey, I use my Helix with an external looper for solo acoustic, live looping stuff. The flexible and highly configurable routing options on the Helix are awesome! My setup is a Helix and an external pedal board. On the board, I have a Boomerang III looper and Boomerang Sidecar, a HC Helicon Harmony G-XT, and a BeatBuddy. I plug my acoustic directly into the Helix and use that as the input for Path 1. First thing on that path is a Send to the Harmony G-XT so it can analyze the guitar signal, but the thru on the send is unattenuated. After some basic effects the guitar signal gets sent to the Boomerang via an FX Loop block. My microphone plugs into the G-XT. The "dry" (no harmony) output goes to one of the returns on the Helix and serves as the input to Path 2A. The harmony-only output on the G-XT goes into another return on the Helix and gets inserted in the same path. It's controlled by a foot switch on the Helix so I can turn harmonies on or off via the Helix; the G-XT is pretty much in set-and-forget mode. After some effects, the vocal signal gets sent to the Boomerang using the same FX Loop channel as the guitar. This is also controlled with a Helix foot switch so I can choose whether or not to sample the vocals with the looper. But the vocals always go to the output. Path 2B is used for the BeadBuddy via the AUX input. The output is set to 1/4" only (the others are all "Multi"). I have the headphone output set to only monitor the 1/4" outputs. This way with in-ears I can hear the BeatBuddy but it doesn't go out to the house, which I feed with the XLR outputs of the Helix. I use the BeatBuddy mostly as a click track for me and MIDI clock for the Boomerang. But I have a second preset that is identical to this one that has the output of Path 2B set to "Multi" for songs where I want to use a drum track. People talk a lot about the great modeling abilities of the Helix, but the extensive routing options shouldn't be overlooked.

Yeah the routing options are great!  I am trying to do something a little similar but with USB and an iPad.  

I'm currently feeding dry guitar on Path 1a to USB 1/2 to MIDI Guitar 2 app which then drives various MIDI synths (via either Infinite Looper or Gadget at the moment) and is fed back on USB 1/2 and returns on the XLR (via Global USB 1/2 return function).  Then my regular guitar tone (either Helix preamp of my H&K in 4cm) continues to Path 2 where it's split - 2a goes to USB 3/4 where it's fed into an iOS Looper app (either Group The Loop or Loopy), 2b is for the un looped guitar to pass directly to the XLR.

I'd like to include a vocal microphone as well - and it may be possible to use the USB 8 to take a dry feed from Helix, and process it in AUM prior to looping - but I'd kind of prefer to do that in Helix but all the Paths are full

One thing's for sure - the routing would be much easier if we were allowed to connect to USB on the SEND and RETURN blocks - I am basically wasting 2 paths just to send to USB outputs.

• 1 month later...

I have a Boss RC-3 looper and have it in an FX loop (send and return) however I can barely hear the output from the RC-3.   I have the FX Loop as the last block before the out put.  Am I doing something wrong.  Sounds like it should be easy (but then again I do tend to find the hard way to do things!)

Thanks

I have a Boss RC-3 looper and have it in an FX loop (send and return) however I can barely hear the output from the RC-3.   I have the FX Loop as the last block before the out put.  Am I doing something wrong.  Sounds like it should be easy (but then again I do tend to find the hard way to do things!)

Thanks

The Helix Global Settings for the FX Loop you are using can be set to Line vs. Instrument Level. Also, there are Level controls in the Helix's FX Send Block, and FX Return Block. There is also a Level control on the RX-3. Adjusting these should get you to or near a unity level for your RC-3. Also, if you are not powering your RC-3 using a Power Supply, check the unit's battery.

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

First of all, excuse me for my English. I speak Spanish so I will try my best to explain myself:

I just got my new Helix LT and I am trying to connect it to a Boss RC 30 looper. I have never used any stomboxes or effect pedals before (I have only used the RC3O looper). So, basically, I am a complete noob on how this things work.

If I connect the RC 30 (from L/Mono) to a Helix Return and use FX Loop 1/2 on the Helix , I can hear the loop I just made. The thing is I am also connecting my digital piano to the Helix in order to use it as an interface to record it, so I am currently using both Helix LT Returns. (By the way, Helix LT is connect to my monitors via XLR Outs)

My question is: is there any way I can use (and hear) the RC 30 loops when I cannot use Helix Returns. I wonder if I can use 1/4" out in some way to do this.

What I have in mind is to record loops with guitar and piano sounds using the Helix LT. ¿Any ideas? ¿Sources I can study?

Thank you very much.