Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20d; Is Re-Importing a Multitracked Recording to DIFFERENT Channels Possible?

Hey Guys,

I have a few songs our band recorded to SD card a while ago on my marvellous M20d, about 16 tracks in all I think, but since I and the band recorded them, we've changed our channel assignments and main mix setup on the desk to be unrecogniseable to the old recordings. How can I import the old recordings to the new channels, so everything sounds right? At the moment, channels are all over the place for the recording.. effects are weird, drums are coming out of vocal channels etc.. not pretty!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks Very Much,

Stu

You could try inserting the SD card into your computer and renaming the individual channel/track files. At the time of recording the M20d names the individual WAV files and includes the channel number in the name. If you have the mapping of the old to new channel assignments a simple renaming might work. But it might not. I don't know exactly how the M20d assigns the playback channels to the WAV files in the selected folder; it may not actually use only the number in the file name.

I'm with silverhead on this, but would suggest a slight deviation...

You need to create a few seconds recording with the new channel lineup.

That will then give you a folder with the *correctly* named files in place.

On your computer you can then do a file > save as with each of the old lineup files to make them match the new lineup. ie you will over-write the freshly recorded files with your old files, the old files gaining the new filenames.

Hope that makes sense!

• Upvote 1

That is such a cool solution SiWatts - I'll try it now & report back.. Wow, this desk is the business, I've gotta say.

EDIT: Awrite.. That seems to have worked perfectly, with perhaps just some channel levels a fraction different now compared to the original files' mixes from last time, so very easily tweaked. Thanks so much guys. :-D

Just in case anyone's interested, I used a 128Gb SDXC class 10 card. I'm sure it's been commented on already in the forums, but I read somewhere that the M20d was only able to take a maximum 32Gb SD card, but this 128Gb one I just bought worked flawlessly, once I re-formatted it to fat32 - no time-consuming rewriting zeros over it etc - just a very quick format change. Note that it only recorded my 18 input tracks (17 & 18 aux input included) for a maximum of 124 minutes per song. So after flawlessly recording 18 channels for 124 minutes, I had to start a new recording to continue. What an awesome piece o' kit!

CAVEAT: Your mileage may vary!!!!

There are plenty of postings on here from people who have purchased 64GB + SDXC cards which have failed to work (me included: I bought two 64GB Sandisk Extreme SDXC cards and neither would work in my M20d).

So, whilst I do not doubt the above two success stories, anyone reading should be aware that you *may* find yourself with SDXC cards that you cannot use in your M20d. Indeed, I would suggest you would be more likely to find the cards don't work than do.

There are plenty of postings on here from people who have purchased 64GB + SDXC cards which have failed to work (me included: I bought two 64GB Sandisk Extreme SDXC cards and neither would work in my M20d).

Hi SiWatts. I know the answer to this will be obvious, but could I ask you if you reformatted your SDXC 64g card to Fat32 format to see if that helped? My card didn't work at first, but a quick format change to fat32 on my Macbook changed it immediately. The XC thing, and 128gb seemed irrelevant then, and it worked beautifully in my case, fwiw.

In addition to the FAT32 formatting requirement the SD card must also be Class 10. It's a speed/performance characteristic.

Wikipedia Defines Class 10 as a minimum sequential writing speed of 10MB/s, able to accomodate Full HD (1080p) video recording and consecutive recording of HD stills (High Speed bus), real-time broadcasts and large HD video files (UHS bus).

Yes, the two Sandisk Extreme cards were:

Class10

Formatted FAT32

Did not read successfully.

I'm not trying to debunk your assertions that the SDXC cards work, just pointing out the caveat that class10 SDXC cards, even formatted to FAT32 *might* not work.

If you've not spotted it by now, I'm one of those people who follows the advice and guidance given by manufacturers on the whole. If Line6 recommend 32GB SDHC Class 10 then that is ultimately going to be the best recommendation to follow.

Whilst a number of people have got their SDXC cards to function perfectly, it can't be assured and thus becomes a case of YMMV. If someone points out the caveat, and I or any one else choose to ignore the caveat then I/they do so at their own risk. Neither the community nor Line6 can be blamed for a non-functional SD card :-)

FWIW, a 32GB SDHC card is sufficient to record over 4 hours worth of material as all inputs + output

Yes, the two Sanidisk Extreme cards were:

Class10

Formatted FAT32

Did not read successfully.

I'm not trying to debunk your assertions that the SDXC cards work, just pointing out the caveat that class10 SDXC cards, even formatted to FAT32 *might* not work.

If you've not spotted it by now, I'm one of those people who follows the advice and guidance given by manufacturers on the whole. If Line6 recommend 32GB SDHC Class 10 then that is ultimately going to be the best recommendation to follow.

Whilst a number of people have got their SDXC cards to function perfectly, it can't be assured and thus becomes a case of YMMV. If someone points out the caveat, and I or any one else choose to ignore the caveat then I/they do so at their own risk. Neither the community nor Line6 can be blamed for a non-functional SD card :-)

FWIW, a 32GB SDHC card is sufficient to record over 4 hours worth of material as all inputs + output

You're absolutely right. I was initially surprised that the 64GB card worked. It was a gift so I tried it, and since it works I have stayed with it. But I know there'll be no support from Line 6 if it suddenly craps out. Everything important is routinely backed up.