Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L2T or Friedman ASM -12

Quickdraw

I know.... subjective as hell, but I really need to hear from the guys who have the experience with these units to help push me over the edge.  This new era of plastic cased powered monitors is not to impressive to my ears... really tired of sounding like a kazoo... I believe the Friedman gets around this... do the L2T's sound like a thin plastic box or have they gotten around this?  Thanks a lot for you inputs!

Pretty much all FRFR powered monitors are ply covered by high density plastic.  I suspect the difference between the two has nothing to do with that other than the way their each designed to project sound.  I suspect the Friedman, being designed more as a cabinet, projects in much the same way in all directions.  Typical powered speakers are designed to project wide but not tall in order to prevent the loss of energy into floors and ceilings.  A lot more direct sound energy out of the front of a FRFR speaker.  The thing is, it's the same projection being employed on the FOH so it really depends on how well you want your stage rig to reflect the sound characteristics your audience is hearing.

Good info... Based on that train of thought i just sprung for the L2M, I think this will help dial in the the sound I "expect" to hear FOH.  If all goes well I'll have this setup dialed in for our next show... 05 Nov at Studio 7 in Seattle  (shameless plug fro anyone who want to check this rig out in action- Lol).  First big gig going ampless... what a trip.

tom

Good info... Based on that train of thought i just sprung for the L2M, I think this will help dial in the the sound I "expect" to hear FOH.  If all goes well I'll have this setup dialed in for our next show... 05 Nov at Studio 7 in Seattle  (shameless plug fro anyone who want to check this rig out in action- Lol).  First big gig going ampless... what a trip.

tom

It's late, I know, but I think you made the right choice.  I have no idea what the Friedmans sound like, but I don't need to.  My StageSource speakers not only compete perfectly well with my 412 cabinet, but I have a system to build on (actually I already did).  The L6 LINK feature is marvelous when using more than one unit.  Now save your $$ and get an L2T and an LINK cable and you'll have your own mini PA, an awesome stereo outfit, and what I consider to be one of the best acoustic guitar amps on the market (the LT2/3).  Of course when playing electric on stage, I use mine in front of me as a personal monitor with a cable out of the Helix to FOH - not used like an amp as you would have to have 3 mikes to mike it.  I don't play super heavy metal - but I do consider the L2 to be a beast for my needs. 

It's late, I know, but I think you made the right choice.  I have no idea what the Friedmans sound like, but I don't need to.  My StageSource speakers not only compete perfectly well with my 412 cabinet, but I have a system to build on (actually I already did).  The L6 LINK feature is marvelous when using more than one unit.  Now save your $$ and get an L2T and an LINK cable and you'll have your own mini PA, an awesome stereo outfit, and what I consider to be one of the best acoustic guitar amps on the market (the LT2/3).  Of course when playing electric on stage, I use mine in front of me as a personal monitor with a cable out of the Helix to FOH - not used like an amp as you would have to have 3 mikes to mike it.  I don't play super heavy metal - but I do consider the L2 to be a beast for my needs. 

Good stuff, that sure helps... i don't like second guessing my choice- even before the Fedex truck arrives!  Lol  I think this  (and a second one-when i can spring it) is going to be awesome. 

Good stuff, that sure helps... i don't like second guessing my choice- even before the Fedex truck arrives!  Lol  I think this  (and a second one-when i can spring it) is going to be awesome. 

Get yourself the rolling carry bag and you will really feel good about your decision. Super easy to transport with these.

I second the previous post.  I can't stress enough how awesome the Line 6 roller carry case for the L2 is.  Both the L2 and 3 are great in the way they are shaped and balanced.  But they are heavy.  Their roller case with retractable handle makes packing the beauties like strolling an airport with carry-on luggage.  If you plan on transporting even just occasionally, don't even buy new strings until you can afford the case.

• Upvote 1

Get yourself the rolling carry bag and you will really feel good about your decision. Super easy to transport with these.

Good advice. I had read that previously and sprung for the bag too, ease of transport and protection for less than 90 bucks was a no brainer.  Getting the bag is what force my hand in going with the m vs. the t though...

I second the previous post.  I can't stress enough how awesome the Line 6 roller carry case for the L2 is.  Both the L2 and 3 are great in the way they are shaped and balanced.  But they are heavy.  Their roller case with retractable handle makes packing the beauties like strolling an airport with carry-on luggage.  If you plan on transporting even just occasionally, don't even buy new strings until you can afford the case.

Speaking of the rolling bag... The used L2t I bought surprisingly came with the rolling bag.

My biggest complaint... The rolling bag doesn't have a carry handle on the top!  Think I'll have to add that in myself.  (Hint Hint Line 6).  That handle would be super useful for pulling the speaker out of my car, picking it up for a short carry, etc..  I keep finding myself missing it.  But it does have a roller bag handle like on suitcases, and the side handle is ok for lugging it up stairs.

I will say it is heavier than I expected (not complaining tho)...Also, much louder than I expected...

Still working on dialing in my tone (I've gotten other tones I like, just not "my" tone yet)... But that's all me and learning how to use the rig.  I know I'll get there.  And I am having a blast learning about and playing with the 10's of thousands of dollars of equipment I just bought for less than $2k by getting the Helix and L2t, all in one little package.  Wish there were more hours in a day.

Speaking of the rolling bag... The used L2t I bought surprisingly came with the rolling bag.

My biggest complaint... The rolling bag doesn't have a carry handle on the top!  Think I'll have to add that in myself.  (Hint Hint Line 6).  That handle would be super useful for pulling the speaker out of my car, picking it up for a short carry, etc..  I keep finding myself missing it.  But it does have a roller bag handle like on suitcases, and the side handle is ok for lugging it up stairs.

I will say it is heavier than I expected (not complaining tho)...Also, much louder than I expected...

Still working on dialing in my tone (I've gotten other tones I like, just not "my" tone yet)... But that's all me and learning how to use the rig.  I know I'll get there.  And I am having a blast learning about and playing with the 10's of thousands of dollars of equipment I just bought for less than $2k by getting the Helix and L2t, all in one little package.  Wish there were more hours in a day.

I don't get it!  Since you got the bag used, something may be wrong.  The roller bags for both the LT2 and 3 both not only have a 2 strap top handle, but also (and what I consider to be much better) a top flap exposing (and tucks under the handle of the speaker itself.  If you are expecting something other than this, I can't imagine why.

I'm supposed to get My L2M, carrying bag, and a new cable Friday... That will give me one week to tweak my presets before my next gig.   This is going to make all the difference between lugging out the old 1/2 stack or going direct from the Helix... this could be really cool!

• Upvote 1

I'm supposed to get My L2M, carrying bag, and a new cable Friday... That will give me one week to tweak my presets before my next gig.   This is going to make all the difference between lugging out the old 1/2 stack or going direct from the Helix... this could be really cool!

Just thought I'd give you a heads-up in case the "new cable" you got is a LINK cable,  If you are only using one Stagesource speaker, I would stick with one of the other mono output methods.  LINK is more for use with more than one speaker (stereo or WDW) and/or a Line 6 LINK mixing board.  You can use a LINK cable for mono but just be aware that it disables the "global" EQ in the Helix.  This is totally okay - you just have to adjust your settings to compensate.  I've always used LINK for any purpose as I didn't want to have to have different presets for Mono and Stereo (w/LINK) setups.

I don't get it!  Since you got the bag used, something may be wrong.  The roller bags for both the LT2 and 3 both not only have a 2 strap top handle, but also (and what I consider to be much better) a top flap exposing (and tucks under the handle of the speaker itself.  If you are expecting something other than this, I can't imagine why.

I was kind of half joking... I mean, of all the things I could complain about? kinda the point ;)

But, yeah, those strap handles are ok... when I said top handle, I meant end handle I guess.  Imagine the bag is stored in the trunk of your hatchback, sitting on it's "back" and you want to pull it out lengthwise from my car... there's nothing to grab to pull it out with.  The plastic handle is in the wrong place balance-wise to pull from.  And those straps aren't well placed to pull it out lengthwise.  A heavily stitched handle on the end of the bag would be perfect.  Plus, I find myself wanting to pick it up from the end a lot, too.  To use those strap handles, you have to lay the bag down on its back.  Every suitcase I've ever owned has one, this one should, too.  I imagine they were afraid people would rip it off since the speaker is kind of heavy for its size.  And since I'm here, it also would have been better if the wheels were on the outside and not two inches inboard from the edge of the bag... It tends to tip over when I'm pulling it on its wheels.  Again, super nit-picky points.

I'm super happy the speaker came with bag, I was totally not expecting that for $500 total price.  And it really is a solid bag, it should last quite awhile as canvas bags go.  And other than those issues, it works great and really protects the speaker.

I was kind of half joking... I mean, of all the things I could complain about? kinda the point ;)

But, yeah, those strap handles are ok... when I said top handle, I meant end handle I guess.  Imagine the bag is stored in the trunk of your hatchback, sitting on it's "back" and you want to pull it out lengthwise from my car... there's nothing to grab to pull it out with.  The plastic handle is in the wrong place balance-wise to pull from.  And those straps aren't well placed to pull it out lengthwise.  A heavily stitched handle on the end of the bag would be perfect.  Plus, I find myself wanting to pick it up from the end a lot, too.  To use those strap handles, you have to lay the bag down on its back.  Every suitcase I've ever owned has one, this one should, too.  I imagine they were afraid people would rip it off since the speaker is kind of heavy for its size.  And since I'm here, it also would have been better if the wheels were on the outside and not two inches inboard from the edge of the bag... It tends to tip over when I'm pulling it on its wheels.  Again, super nit-picky points.

I'm super happy the speaker came with bag, I was totally not expecting that for $500 total price.  And it really is a solid bag, it should last quite awhile as canvas bags go.  And other than those issues, it works great and really protects the speaker.

Ah, I see - and Yes I agree.  An additional, stationary,  end handle would be awesome. 

Hey, I have no experience with the Friedman so I can't compare the two but I've been giggling with the Helix + L2t for well over a year now and have been extremely happy. My old, beloved Soldano 4x12 just sits gathering dust now. I play in a loud rock band with another guitarist who's running a Peavey 5150 and a 4x12 and my Helix setup can hang with his old-school rig and then-some. Even for the rare clubs where our guitars aren't mic'ed I've never needed to go over maybe 60% output level on both the Helix & L2t. It sounds and feels exactly like my old 4x12 setup only with FAR better projection & sound diffusion than any 4x12 I ever heard-- and my entire rig fits in my trunk with ease. Line6 finally came out with a wheeled case for the L2t as well, which has made load-ins & outs much more civilized. By sheer coincidence, I usually use the 5150 model for most of my distorted tones and it's so close to sound of the actual 5150 it's scary. Obviously tone is very subjective and it will take some time to get yours just how you want it but all I can tell you is I took the plunge and am extremely happy I did. I've also gotten better feedback regarding my sound from fans, bandmates & sound-guys over the past year than at any time in the past 30 years of playing in bands. I still occasionally see a sound-guy turn up his nose when he spots my Line6 gear only to listen to him rant & rave later about how good it sounded and how easily it fits in a mix.

• Upvote 1

PS-- the other great thing is, my band started adding acoustic performances to our repertoire about a year ago and the L2t performs just as well in that capacity-- the on-board EQ, chorus & reverb are great & very useable. For those shows I just bring my Alvarez acoustic, a little Zoom MS-50G pedal for a little compression or light delay if needed, and the L2t and I'm good-to-go for any acoustic gig-- no need to bring the Helix along at all. The second input + built-in PA has saved our bacon on more than one occasion as well.

Hey, I have no experience with the Friedman so I can't compare the two but I've been giggling with the Helix + L2t for well over a year now and have been extremely happy. My old, beloved Soldano 4x12 just sits gathering dust now. I play in a loud rock band with another guitarist who's running a Peavey 5150 and a 4x12 and my Helix setup can hang with his old-school rig and then-some. Even for the rare clubs where our guitars aren't mic'ed I've never needed to go over maybe 60% output level on both the Helix & L2t. It sounds and feels exactly like my old 4x12 setup only with FAR better projection & sound diffusion than any 4x12 I ever heard-- and my entire rig fits in my trunk with ease. Line6 finally came out with a wheeled case for the L2t as well, which has made load-ins & outs much more civilized. By sheer coincidence, I usually use the 5150 model for most of my distorted tones and it's so close to sound of the actual 5150 it's scary. Obviously tone is very subjective and it will take some time to get yours just how you want it but all I can tell you is I took the plunge and am extremely happy I did. I've also gotten better feedback regarding my sound from fans, bandmates & sound-guys over the past year than at any time in the past 30 years of playing in bands. I still occasionally see a sound-guy turn up his nose when he spots my Line6 gear only to listen to him rant & rave later about how good it sounded and how easily it fits in a mix.

Good Stuff.  Ya, no buyer remorse here.  My L2M, bag and Link chord all got here Friday as promised, and I took it from the Fedex guy straight to practice.  I have very little tweaking to do at all.  Most of my patches were created through a decent set of studio monitors and they translated beautifully.  There is plenty of head room, and the best part... my guitar is "more reactive" with the speaker in a monitor position.  I was having a real difficult time getting the sustain and "riding the edge" of feedback that I get from my amps... I was really missing that.  This weekend I was screwing around and ran stereo out to a G150 power amp driving two marshall 4 X12's (both wet) and ran the L2M dry as my monitor.... holy Crap!  It was one of the most monstrous sounds I have ever gotten -this coming from a guy who has been running stereo with two plexi's for the two decades!  Lol

That's awesome, congrats man. Keep experimenting and refining-- this rig has inspired me to delve into some sounds I never would have even considered in years past. I just wish this kind of technology had been around back when I was playing covers by 40 different bands and doing them all with basically one distorted guitar sound and three or four pedal effects. Enjoy!