Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Standard Out of The Box

geeker

Got me Variax Standard two days ago..... plugged it up to my Helix and started going through all the models through one amp sim with no effects. I am kind of disappointed with the way the guitar models sound like. I connected up my Variax 500 to compare the models and the 500 sounds way way better and "fuller" than the HD models on the Standard. I will try updating the firmware and see if that improves the Variax Standards' HD models.     

Ongoing them. Users of older Variax versions seem to be disappointed with the new models, more often than not. The models themselves are fundamentally different in the older firmware versions you're used to...unless something is actually malfunctioning that an update might remedy, the latest firmware isn't likely to change your opinion much.

I haven't updated the firmware yet. I did plug the Standard into my Helix and the helix to my Tech 21 PA 60. Sounds really good that way. It didn't sound to good with headphones..... sounds awesome through an amp.... 

I haven't updated the firmware yet. I did plug the Standard into my Helix and the helix to my Tech 21 PA 60. Sounds really good that way. It didn't sound to good with headphones..... sounds awesome through an amp....

That's a separate issue. Amps and headphones are two very different animals, with wildly different frequency responses. Getting a modeler (in you're case, two modelers) to sound good through both almost always requires extensive editing from one to the other.