Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Still no solution to high-frequency noise with Relay G10??

ianericdotcom

Well, if Guitar Center won't take back my G10, maybe Line 6 will....

Big fan of Line 6 products in general, but this is simply unacceptable.  You guys needed to do more testing with various guitars before releasing this product.  

I am guessing here, but it seems that active electronics in acoustic guitars that use BRAIDED cables for the pickups have issues with interference.  It's bad.  It's high-frequency, digital-sounding noise and it's not anywhere near "typical" or tolerable.

I have an Emerald X-20 acoustic.  Originally equipped with a B-Band A3T system.  My G10 worked just great with it, however I had quality issues with the system, so B-Band sent me a replacement.  The new pickup design included a braided shield over the pickup cable.  This is when the noise started with the G10.  Using a guitar cable, the noise went away.

After having yet more quality issues with B-Band (and Emerald quit using them as a supplier), I had Emerald install their updated LR Baggs Element system.  This, too, has a braided pickup cable.  And the noise is even worse than before.  

The guitar is dead silent when using a normal cable.  Yes, I've tried the mono-to-mono adapter trick.  No relief from the noise.

In addition, this new LR Baggs system seems to suffer from the "reverse polarity" issue, whereby the system won't even work at all when plugged directly into the guitar.

It's been more than 45 days, but I'm going to see if Guitar Center will take this thing back.  It's simply not worth the hassle.  For whatever reason, my 15-year old Yamaha (yes, it has an active preamp) works fine with the G10.  But I simply cannot accept the noise coming from the Emerald, and it's not the guitar's fault.

Any solutions before I return this inferior product, Line 6 people???

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

HIGH FREQUENCY SOLUTION!  If anyone is still looking for a fix to the high frequency buzz when using active pick-ups with the G10, try a TRS male - TS female Adapter.  I've been battling the issue for a bit, and a ts-ts adapter is really the only simple suggestion, however, that does not address the signal issue.  A TRS-TS adapter (a 6" works perfectly...$7 at guitar centers) brings the active signal down to a passive signal and completely eliminates the high pitch.

As an add-on....with the 6" adapter the transmitter dangles.  A simple and easy solution for me was to put the G10 transmitter in an i-pod "pouch" usually attaches to arm bands (the smaller old kind of Ipod).  The 1/4 connections fits perfectly snug through the hole where earbuds wires would normally go it, and the clip attaches perfectly to the guitar strap.

FYI: I have the LR Baggs Dual Source in a custom breedlove 
  • Downvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/23/2017 at 5:16 AM, ksav said:

HIGH FREQUENCY SOLUTION!  If anyone is still looking for a fix to the high frequency buzz when using active pick-ups with the G10, try a TRS male - TS female Adapter.  I've been battling the issue for a bit, and a ts-ts adapter is really the only simple suggestion, however, that does not address the signal issue.  A TRS-TS adapter (a 6" works perfectly...$7 at guitar centers) brings the active signal down to a passive signal and completely eliminates the high pitch.

As an add-on....with the 6" adapter the transmitter dangles.  A simple and easy solution for me was to put the G10 transmitter in an i-pod "pouch" usually attaches to arm bands (the smaller old kind of Ipod).  The 1/4 connections fits perfectly snug through the hole where earbuds wires would normally go it, and the clip attaches perfectly to the guitar strap.

FYI: I have the LR Baggs Dual Source in a custom breedlove 

Which specific adapter do you use? perhaps amazon has one i can try to reduce that hum....

Also, can you pst a picture of how it looks with the pouch? thanks! :) 

• 1 year later...

Here is an inexpensive solution to this problem: Mono TS male 1/4” to Mono TS 1/4” female. Using a TRS male to mono TS female did not work for me. Something like this will work although I made my own with premium parts: 

1/4” TS to 1/4” TS female

I used this pouch to hold the transmitter to my strap: 

Small Pouch with Clip

33DAA2EC-D7FD-4C29-B182-CF54990B2682.jpeg

• Upvote 1