Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help, My spider jam cuts out.

tornawka

Looking for some ideas. My spider Jam will work fine and then the sound cuts out. When I turn the tone selector to a different preset and turn it back the amp works again. If I turn the amp model preset know and turn it back the sound comes through again. It will cut out randomly again. I have plugged my guitar into the aux port and the guitar works fine. It does not cut out.  When I plug it back into the guitar output, the same thing happens. I have factory reset the amp but the problem continues. I have had this amp for 4 years and this is the first issue. Hope there are some ideas.

Looking for some ideas. My spider Jam will work fine and then the sound cuts out. When I turn the tone selector to a different preset and turn it back the amp works again. If I turn the amp model preset know and turn it back the sound comes through again. It will cut out randomly again. I have plugged my guitar into the aux port and the guitar works fine. It does not cut out.  When I plug it back into the guitar output, the same thing happens. I have factory reset the amp but the problem continues. I have had this amp for 4 years and this is the first issue. Hope there are some ideas.

I don't know what to say except for I recommend you reinstall the latest software. I've got my Spider Jam, still use it, had it since '08 and it works great. From experience I've had to reinstall the software once after using it for a while after the last update and have not had to reinstall the software since.

On the other hand, there could be a loose connection inside the chassis somewhere that is affected by vibration. Sometimes ribbon wire connections need to be unplugged and plugged back in to make a better connection. I've seen some people even hot glue the connections in order to make a more secure connection on them.

Hope this helps some. If you know someone who has experience with electronics maybe you contact them and ask them for help.

I have exactly the same issue with the same timescales - i.e had the amp for 4 years.

Here's a copy of my correspondence with line 6:

oschildt Oct 21, 03:24 AM

Hi,

unfortunately this sound like a hardware issue of the amp.

You could try to perform a factory reset on the Spider Jam:

hold down the settings/tone button as you turn on the power and hold the button for 5-8 seconds.

This will erase all current presets and restore the factory sounds.

But if that doesn't help, please contact our UK service center:

E & M Electronics

10 Peverel Drive, Granby, Milton Keynes,

Buckinghamshire, MK1 1NL

+441908 375699

line6@eandm.co

Best regards

Olaf Schildt

Technical Support

Line 6 Support Europe

I have tried the factory reset to no avail. I currently have an e-mail out to the above (enquiries@random.com - or maybe .co.uk) and am awaiting a reply

I'd be interested in your feedback as to solutions. I'll update you when I hear from E & M

Well, I updated the firmware to the latest version. The problem continues. The preset tone will play and then the processor will kick it out and revert back to "clean amp model" amp preset.  Tried other tones and same result. Tried to save preset tones to my preset bank. Saved fine but did the same thing when using that preset. My aux port works fine and the mic works fine.  Found when I tried to play over the preset songs my guitar made no sound at all. After working on it with another musician and brainstorming ideas we think that the processor has a major problem and must be  starting to go.  I now have, essentially, a 40lb paperweight.

So,  After updating the firmware and having the same problem, I did a factorey reset with the new firmware. I have played the amp for about 5 hours and gave it a pretty good workout this evening. At this time it seems to be working again the way it should. Maybe this did the trick.

• Upvote 1

If the problem persists it should go in for service. If it runs on a cold start but starts misbehaving after warmed up it very well could be a failing component or a bad solder joint. Those puppies generate a lot of heat in an enclosed space.

• Upvote 1

So,  After updating the firmware and having the same problem, I did a factorey reset with the new firmware. I have played the amp for about 5 hours and gave it a pretty good workout this evening. At this time it seems to be working again the way it should. Maybe this did the trick.

Cool! glad it working so far.

If the problem persists it should go in for service. If it runs on a cold start but starts misbehaving after warmed up it very well could be a failing component or a bad solder joint. Those puppies generate a lot of heat in an enclosed space.

It keeps me nice and warm in the winter sometimes, lol.

• Upvote 1

Those puppies can throw out some heat. Prior to picking up a Spider Valve - I ran into a couple of people who swear that putting a heat sink on the processor stopped the random issues they were having.

I believe it. I gave my nephew a Spider III 75 years ago but I used it a little with my Spider Jam and both produce a good amount of heat. I usually have small portable battery powered fan around "O2 Cool" and place that to blow along the back of them this helps scavenge some of the heat away. I never had a shutdown from over heating as far as I know. Now power outages where I'm at are common but that's another story.

• Upvote 1

Outages -> from storms? If so I believe it. Our block "used" to go dark if someone sneezed. At the first sign of weather I used to go around clicking stuff off. I did scavenge an old battery back-up UPS I used for the pc and would plug the Pod into that. The UPS gave 5 minutes of beeping to save and turn-off your valuables.

Thankfully, after the local grocery store's power kept going out too they repaired or tied into somewhere else. Lots of $$$ were thawing - good manager's specials though. :) 

• Upvote 1

Outages -> from storms? If so I believe it. Our block "used" to go dark if someone sneezed. At the first sign of weather I used to go around clicking stuff off. I did scavenge an old battery back-up UPS I used for the pc and would plug the Pod into that. The UPS gave 5 minutes of beeping to save and turn-off your valuables.

Thankfully, after the local grocery store's power kept going out too they repaired or tied into somewhere else. Lots of $$$ were thawing - good manager's specials though. :)

I would say storms play a good role in the outages here but the lines are more than 20 years old and still with wooden poles. Just recently I see a bunch of hurricane poles going up and they hung the old line on that too.

I worked in a job shop "machine shop" and we used to make giant contact points and a million other things, I believe they were very large breakers and we used to make new ones out of solid copper every now and then so I would imagine they get old and burned up and need replacement. We also seen a lot of transformers that come in to be rebuilt. There are so many things that can cause a power outage it can boggle the mind. Even a thing like a large iguana getting stuck between the 2 poles of a transformer can cause a lightening show, lol, or a rat walking along the power lines from house to house that tries to take a rest on the top of a transformer. Seems to be getting better here although we might just be having a good streak.

• Upvote 1