Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshot not saving drive between different Snaps?

gmathis501

Hi,

I thought the Snapshot allowed me to change ANY parameters but not model.  But what I'm finding is

that the DRIVE is global and if I change the DRIVE on one Snapshot it effects all Snapshots.

Am I doing something wrong?  I'm sure many people need to increase the drive at certain parts of a song.

Help?

Gary

Any parameters you want to change on a snaphot per snapshot basis need to be tied to a controller. That can be an expression pedal, a footswitch, or, if you don't want to have any other control, just a snapshot controller. On the unit itself, just push and turn the knob for the parameter you want to setup, and you'll see brackets appear around the parameter. It's not setup to be controlled by a snapshot controller. You can now set the parameter for each snapshot. Additionally, if you want parameters controlled by expression pedals to bring up certain values with snapshot changes, you have to have the setting for the expression pedal that's controlling that parameter set to "Per Snapshot" under the "EXP X Pedal Position" under Global Settings > EXP Pedals.

Also, if you have the Snapshot Edits parameter set to Discard in the Global Settings menu and leave the snapshot without saving the preset, any changes would be lost.

• Upvote 1

Well that did not clear this up.  If I change the "VERB" in Helix editor and I save it on Snapshot 2 that works and when I push the Snapshot 1  button the "VERB" is still on.  When I push Snapshot 2 the "VERB" is off.  This does not work the same on the A+C "DRIVE".  If I change the drive value it changes across both Snapshot 1 and Snapshot 2.   How can I fix this?

Well that did not clear this up. If I change the "VERB" in Helix editor and I save it on Snapshot 2 that works and when I push the Snapshot 1 button the "VERB" is still on. When I push Snapshot 2 the "VERB" is off. This does not work the same on the A+C "DRIVE". If I change the drive value it changes across both Snapshot 1 and Snapshot 2. How can I fix this?

Follow the advice I gave earlier for the parameters, and it will work.

As far as the bypass states of the effects in each snapshot, you have to set those on a snapshot per snapshot basis. It's easier to set up your snapshots with the Snapshot Edits parameter set to recall, imo.

• Upvote 1

Little more info.  I can turn on/off any block and save it to a Snapshot but I can not change the value of any single parameter because it saves the value to all Snapshots.  Example: I change the DRIVE from 5.2 to 6.3 and try to save it to Snapshot 2... Snapshot 1 now has a drive value of 6.3 also.  That won't work

Little more info.  I can turn on/off any block and save it to a Snapshot but I can not change the value of any single parameter because it saves the value to all Snapshots.  Example: I change the DRIVE from 5.2 to 6.3 and try to save it to Snapshot 2... Snapshot 1 now has a drive value of 6.3 also.  That won't work

Are there brackets around the parameter? If not, then that parameter isn't being controlled by a controller. If you see brackets, it means you're on the right track.

Also, when you first set up the snapshot controller, and set the parameter value, it will still set the value to be the same in every snapshot. It is easier to set the snapshot controller first, set the value to the baseline value you want, and then go change it to whatever you want in the snapshots you want it to change in.

Download the current manual. (v2) Read up on snapshots.  Turning on and off pedals is simple - you just set it to on or off and save the snapshot - if it's the first save of that device for that patch you will then have to go to each snapshot and save the state.  Parameters (like gain or delay time or whatever) on pedals, amps etc require you to make them snapshot aware - its a setting - easy to follow in the manual, hard to describe - or YouTube it! Just about every problem I'm seeing lately has a video or is really clear in the manual.  But that's your problem - you have not set it for saving  in a snapshot.

As rvroberts indicated reading up on Snapshots in the manual is a good place to start. I remember having some of the same questions as you when I first started working with snapshots until I gave the manual a good read. Here are some quick instructions if you want to leap right in.

If you want a parameter to vary from snapshot to snapshot use one of the following techniques:

1. From the Helix: The Quick shortcut - From the Helix select the effect block and briefly push in the parameter button and turn it slightly. If you do it correctly brackets will appear around the parameter. If you hold the parameter button too long before you turn it a screen will pop up. That is ok as you can assign the parameter from that screen as well by turning the knob marked 'Controller' all the way until it reads 'Snapshots'. Either of these methods will assign a parameter to a snapshot.
  2. From the Edtitor: First select the block for the parameter you want to assign to vary with a snapshot. Select the 'Controller Assign' screen link from the bottom of the Editor screen. Select the parameter you want to adjust and then select scroll down all the to the bottom of the assign drop-down menu (second bar down on 'Controller Assign' screen) and select 'Snapshots. Once you return to the 'Home' screen you should see brackets around that parameter.

IMPORTANT: The blurb below from the manual is very important as the setting you have selected for the 'Snapshot Edits' parameter under Global Settings determines how you need to save your edits in order for them to be retained. Until you get your head wrapped around this parameter a good rule of thumb is to save before you change to another snapshot. Of course, no matter what you have selected for the 'Snapshot Edits' parameter you will have to save at least once before exiting the preset if you want your changes to be retained.

From the manual regarding the 'Snapshot Edits' Global parameter: "When set to "Recall," any snapshot edits are recalled when jumping from snapshot to snapshot, and appear as you last left them. When set to "Discard," any snapshot edits are discarded when jumping from snapshot to snapshot, and appear as the preset was last saved. If you want to save changes made to a snapshot while Snapshot Edits is set to "Discard,†press SAVE twice before selecting another."

UPDATE: Just noticed phil_m essentially provided this information earlier. He is right on target. Stick with it and the process will become readily apparent.

• 1 year later...