Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Atomic Amplifire

hideout

Here's an alternative/backup for the Helix. It even uses the same dual Shark processors.  It's probably not as flexible, has a more limited way of accessing presets and has fewer options but it sounds pretty darned good to me.

http://atomicamps.com/amplifire-pedal/

Definitely looks like a viable backup unit. The only obvious drawback I see is the limited number of footswitches but I like the relatively compact size. It does include MIDI inputs for more switching but that would be one more thing to carry.

Definitely looks like a viable backup unit. The only obvious drawback I see is the limited number of footswitches but I like the relatively compact size. It does include MIDI inputs for more switching but that would be one more thing to carry.

My thoughts exactly. Hence for me, it would be just a backup.

I actually had one before I sent it back as it was just too limited for $600. Amp models were good, effects mehhhhhhh. There was an annoying digital clock tick on the delays that was a deal kill for me. And yes, limited number of footswitches, only one loop. Just was not worth $600 bucks being that small and limited. Amp models were good but that clock clicking noise in the delay line was a no go for me.

I just sold my GSP1101 that was the best modeler I have had before I got the Helix. The models in my GR55 guitar synth were pretty good but I honestly never used them much. I think for me from the Helix it is Fractal time and I want the flagship unit not the smaller new version. 

I use one as a backup to my Helix.  The core tones are very good, effects are ok, drives not so good (although TS is decent), but for live use the 3 button approach is pretty limiting.  I need more, so have ended up building it into a board with more effects and boost options, and it has worked out costing more to get what I need than i thought.  In retrospect I'd have been better off with a GT100, saved a fortune, but for a backup rig would have been perfectly adequate.

I've also found it to be less intuitive than the Helix to get tones I prefer, and I've spent a lot of time tweaking to get what I like - I still think it can sound a bit thin in a live mix, but I'm sure that is user error.  Given the choice when I get in at night I almost always switch on the Helix, and i have found it hard to be inspired to spend the time with the Amplifire that it deserves.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as overly negative - I've actually used the Atomic on a few gigs with a new band I joined, just to force myself to spend some time with it, and got compliments on the tone, and I'm growing to like it more - if you play in a classic rock band and just need a small handful of core sounds this will likely do a very good job.

Clint, you gave up on S-Gear? I went with Helix too. But would like Amplifier as a rehearsal and backup option. Its a little expensive for that though. I've been using Bias FX for rehearsal, but its not that inspiring. I suspect I'll give whatever Mike at scuffhamamps.com produces, but Helix meets my needs pretty well, especially since I also use a Variax Standard.

Clint, you gave up on S-Gear? I went with Helix too. But would like Amplifier as a rehearsal and backup option. Its a little expensive for that though. I've been using Bias FX for rehearsal, but its not that inspiring. I suspect I'll give whatever Mike at scuffhamamps.com produces, but Helix meets my needs pretty well, especially since I also use a Variax Standard.

No way! S-Gear is great. I also like Amplitube, and Revalver, but I like having a hardware device, and live rig. My Helix and a pair of JBL eon612s will be the live rig.