Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Changing Snapshots in Ableton Live Session View

Equilibrium_606

Hi Guys,

I am battling to get Ableton Live 9 to change Snapshots on the Helix. I have my presets setup under Setlist 7 User 5 & want to change the different snapshots of a patch via Abelton.

I setup the midi clip to change to the correct Setlist,Bank, presets & Velocity (0-7) to change in Ableton, but it keeps going to the Factory Setlist "18A Nothing Else Matters". I think I am over looking something, but can't figure it out.

I am trying to achieve this is the session view.Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated!!!

Regards

Jason

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply. I managed to puzzle it out.......I was doing exactly what you mentioned above, but it was changing too bank 18A. The problem was on Ableton's Channel strip, I had to select "NO INPUT" & it sorted my problem out.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Regards

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply. I managed to puzzle it out.......I was doing exactly what you mentioned above, but it was changing too bank 18A. The problem was on Ableton's Channel strip, I had to select "NO INPUT" & it sorted my problem out.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Regards

Wow! Are you able to automate snapshot changes this way???

Wow! Are you able to automate snapshot changes this way???

Yes you can!!! Sorry for the late reply.....

I attached some pictures too show you what I have done.

See Photo 1

1) Create a Midi Track

2) Input setting (Select No Input)

3) Output to the corresponding MIDI channel on the Helix (In my case Channel 10)

4) Create a blank clip

See Photo 2

5) Under Notes section turn off loop

6) Under Envelopes select Midi Control under the drop down

7) Select 69 - Hold Pedal 2

See Photo 3

*In that Scene, I have a Audio track of the song (Synth, Samples, etc) that plays like an arrangement (left to right). The MIDI clip i drag to the same time length as the audio.

8) Draw in the velocity (0-7 which is Snapshot 1 to Snapshot 8) in conjunction with the patch changes on the Audio track.

for example: Clean @ bar 13, Drive @ bar 24, Phaser @ Bar 33, etc.

Now all you do is launch the corresponding Scene & everything will change according to the track!! :)

Hope this helps!!!

• Upvote 3

Yeah guys, the wonders of technology.......I will hopefully have some form of video up within the next 2 weeks.

Day job is a bit hectic at the moment & you guys probably know the drill....don't get enough time to focus on the

things that matter.

Thank you all once again for the interest in my post! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there Equilibrium, so I figured maybe you could help me with issue I'm having with helix into ableton

latency. I can't seem to get it eliminated any clues?

Hey Robert,

I can defiantly try :)

First off I need some answers from you:

a) PC or Mac?

b Version of Ableton & 32bit or 64bit

c) Processor & Ram

I take that you are running the Helix as your input & output device in Ableton?

If so what is the overall latency you are getting in milliseconds?

I get about 25.5ms if I select the Helix. I do however use the Helix to run my samples, soft synth & my guitar.

I don't have a guitar track in Ableton only a looper track that grabs audio from Helix USB 1&2 & loops it.

I haven't had any issues regarding latency as yet & I am doing a lot of processing at the moment.

If you can tell me more of what you are doing & how you are running the Helix in Ableton it will help a lot.

Let me know so we can try & sort this out for you!!!

Running PC, with Intel core i7 6700k quad-core 4.0 GHz, and 32GB ram. Ableton live 9 standard, 64 bit.

Just trying to record guitar through helix in ableton at the moment. If I can get that working, I'll try other stuff.

So, I turn everything on, go to preferences, driver type ASIO, audio device ASIO Helix, ( only cause that's what the guy said to do when setting up an interface on the ableton video. I then set up the audio track to accept the helix signal, and I'm getting green signal in the meters, but nothing out of the speakers???

Then I change back to driver type back to MME/DirectX, and audio input device to digital audio interface (line 6 wave. and wow! now I'm getting signal out if the speakers, but lots of latency..... says output latency - 92.9 ms. Played around with the latency settings, with no luck.

Running PC, with Intel core i7 6700k quad-core 4.0 GHz, and 32GB ram. Ableton live 9 standard, 64 bit.

Just trying to record guitar through helix in ableton at the moment. If I can get that working, I'll try other stuff.

So, I turn everything on, go to preferences, driver type ASIO, audio device ASIO Helix, ( only cause that's what the guy said to do when setting up an interface on the ableton video. I then set up the audio track to accept the helix signal, and I'm getting green signal in the meters, but nothing out of the speakers???

Then I change back to driver type back to MME/DirectX, and audio input device to digital audio interface (line 6 wave. and wow! now I'm getting signal out if the speakers, but lots of latency..... says output latency - 92.9 ms. Played around with the latency settings, with no luck.

Do you have the speakers (active) or amp and speakers (passive) connected to Helix?

Definetly use the ASIO drivers, it's not possible to get workable latency otherwise.

I not even getting Audio out of my laptop speakers through ASIO

The speakers/amp needs to be connected to the Helix and you need to select Helix ASIO driver as the output device in the DAW.

Maybe there's another way, but that's what I'd do.

Hey guys, I just had a question for anyone here who is a midi guru... I want to run my helix with Ableton... but the way I wanna run it is  that each patch triggers a song ( 1A=Song 1, 1B=Song 2, 1C=Song 3, etc) and then when I hit the mode button I have access to my effects with a few options for Ableton (Stop, Bridge, Forward etc )... can you guys let me know if I'm swinging for the stars or if this is actually achievable 

Hey guys, I just had a question for anyone here who is a midi guru... I want to run my helix with Ableton... but the way I wanna run it is  that each patch triggers a song ( 1A=Song 1, 1B=Song 2, 1C=Song 3, etc) and then when I hit the mode button I have access to my effects with a few options for Ableton (Stop, Bridge, Forward etc )... can you guys let me know if I'm swinging for the stars or if this is actually achievable 

Hi Alex,

I am pretty sure you will be able to do this. I will just have to sit down & mess around for you. The Effects side triggering (Stop, Bridge, Forward etc) will be possible with the Command Center. You will just map a CC to the corresponding effect you want to trigger in Ableton & map it accordingly. 

I will try to get a gap today, alternatively I will sit down on Monday (Off Day =D) & puzzle it out for you. The preset thing will most likely run with a dummy clip in Ableton Mapped to different scenes.

As soon as I get it right I will send you a message!