Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Oh...just another dumba***.....Hooking up my Helix...

occasionalcrunch

Hello everybody

Just got my Helix and even hooking up with my computer is hard to figure for me.

So my Helix will be just for practicing in my bedroom and simple recording

Here is what I have:

Obviously :D  Helix :D

Mixer with USB

Old Boss DR-220A drum machine

All i need it to mix audio files with my Helix and play.

I would appreciate any input

Thanks

First, invest ~$150 or so in EZ Drummer 2...that old Boss machine is an abacus. And if you're a Mac guy, the version of Garageband that comes with the newer machines is a very capable DAW for getting your feet wet. Forget the mixer for now. Just use the Helix as your interface.

To just play along with backing tracks, you could:

1. Use your mixer as an audio interface to playback the music from your pc.

2. Connect Helix to mixer via:

a) XLR outs (2 cables) to XLR ins on mixer - pan one to L and one to R

b) 1 x 1/4 out (mono only to 1 x 1/4 in on mixer)

c) 2 x 1/4 out (mono only to 2 x 1/4 in on mixer) - pan one to L and one to R

I think.

You could of course take the suggestions above and leave the mixer out...unless you want to use it for something else as well?

I'll second cruisinon2's suggestion:  leave your Xenyx mixer out of the configuration. Use Helix as the audio interface connected via USB. Connect your Boss drum machine to a pair of Helix FX Returns.

Thanks

would you mind me asking why to leave Xenyx out of configuration?

Do you think Xenyx interface is not as good as Helix interface?

Thanks

To just play along with backing tracks, you could:

1. Use your mixer as an audio interface to playback the music from your pc.

2. Connect Helix to mixer via:

a) XLR outs (2 cables) to XLR ins on mixer - pan one to L and one to R

B) 1 x 1/4 out (mono only to 1 x 1/4 in on mixer)

c) 2 x 1/4 out (mono only to 2 x 1/4 in on mixer) - pan one to L and one to R

I think.

You could of course take the suggestions above and leave the mixer out...unless you want to use it for something else as well?

I thank you for your suggestions.

These are something I was thinking about too but I am asking members here as you guys would probably know better what works well and not that complicated

Thank you so much guys on any advise you can give me.There are just so many options that i am literally confused..

The mixer is superfluous...for what you want to do, you just don't need it. Any DAW you see fit to use (and until you get up into Pro-Tools territory, they're all essentially the same), Helix, plus a minimal investment for some decent drum sounds are all you need...That Boss thing was cutting edge somewhere around 1985...you won't believe what's possible now.

would you mind me asking why to leave Xenyx out of configuration?

Three reasons to use Helix as the audio interface:

1) The Xenyx is redundant - you don't need it.

2) Using Helix you can very conveniently record the dry signal and later re-amp it, also using Helix.

3) You avoid some D/A and A/D signal conversions meaning your recorded signal is higher quality.

Three reasons to use Helix as the audio interface:

1) The Xenyx is redundant - you don't need it.

2) Using Helix you can very conveniently record the dry signal and later re-amp it, also using Helix.

3) You avoid some D/A and A/D signal conversions meaning your recorded signal is higher quality.

Ok  basically you are saying I just get my Helix connected to my laptop via USB.

What about my monitors?Just XLR out put to them?

When i connect headphones to helix are they going to cut out signal from my monitors?I hope so ....

Ok basically you are saying I just get my Helix connected to my laptop via USB.

What about my monitors?Just XLR out put to them?

When i connect headphones to helix are they going to cut out signal from my monitors?I hope so ....

Yes - connect your monitors to the Helix outputs.

No, headphones will not automatically cut out the monitors. I suspect you may be asking about this because you want to monitor using headphones while recording a vocal track and you don't want the backing tracks from the monitors to be picked up by the mic. You can arrange for this in Helix Global Settings -> Ins/Outs whenever you want to set up a recording session. Use the Volume Knob Controls and/or Headphones Monitor Settings. You can arrange for the monitors to go silent by zeroing the volume while still hearing whatever signal you select in the headphones.

Yes - connect your monitors to the Helix outputs.

No, headphones will not automatically cut out the monitors. I suspect you may be asking about this because you want to monitor using headphones while recording a vocal track and you don't want the backing tracks from the monitors to be picked up by the mic. You can arrange for this in Helix Global Settings whenever you want to set up a recording session.

Monitors have headphones output...That way everything is quiet .....Or I can run monitors output to one inputs on my Helix? ....

To me, the easiest is:

Computer outs -> mixer

Helix outs -> mixer

Mixer outs -> speakers

That means you can always use computer audio whether Helix is turned on or not. Also, Helix via USB has some playback audio dropouts on OSX for some people. It's annoying if you're one of those people (I am). The above configuration totally avoids that problem. I always record Helix via USB but when I'm mixing, or playing along, I never use USB of Helix.

To the OP- there are no dumb questions here except the ones you don't ask. 

FWIW (and lots don't do it this way), I use Helix as a guitar effects/preamp only (my opinion is that's what its main intent was) , and never as an audio interface. Altho it can do the job I prefer to use another nice dedicated audio interface to hook a mixer to, and from that mixer I have Helix, and Kemper, and other things attached. Out of the Mixer I attach my Mackie studio monitors, and sub outs go to my Firehawk 1500. There are of course lots of ways, but this is how I currently do it. Hope this helps!

Thanks Melhavok and Spikey

Your points are great.

What about people  saying to go through many digital conversions you will not experience how good sound out of Helix really is?

I hooked up my helix without mixer involved and it did work but I feel i might need to get my computer set up for better sound out of it as sound out of MP3 file was so much better then my Helix.Also sound levels were not the same.I remember reading about it here but cannot find a topic for computer set up

Be sure and (if you are using Windows especially) setup your OS for audio. There are many sites with this info.

Here is one for Windows 7 and another for Windows 10.

As far as too many A to D and D to A conversions, technically thats true. I just run my audio outs in to a DAW track, and it then becomes digital until its monitored or played back. But thats still just the normal 2 conversions (no matter how many times it played back) so you wont lose any (very tiny amounts) definition by this. Its when you convert D2A and A2D multiple times that there might be a problem. You will also hear a lot about latency issues. Remember that latency only effects the monitoring a track- (when you hit the key you hear the note play at the same time with no delays) like playing along with a drum or bass track while recording. Latency does not effect playback. Hope that helps! 

Thanks Melhavok and Spikey

Your points are great.

What about people  saying to go through many digital conversions you will not experience how good sound out of Helix really is?

I hooked up my helix without mixer involved and it did work but I feel i might need to get my computer set up for better sound out of it as sound out of MP3 file was so much better then my Helix.Also sound levels were not the same.I remember reading about it here but cannot find a topic for computer set up

You may find some hints and tips for basic set up here. Maybe this is what you remembered reading.

http://line6.com/support/topic/22734-helix-as-interface/?do=findComment&comment=173451

Hope this is some help.

You may find some hints and tips for basic set up here. Maybe this is what you remembered reading.

http://line6.com/support/topic/22734-helix-as-interface/?do=findComment&comment=173451

Hope this is some help.

Thanks for your help but that is not what I was looking at before.It was like series of screen shots....but this is great what you posted it will certanly help

TRIO, best drum machine ever. Plays what you teach it to your pattern and chords. Not the greatest thing that ever will be but a damn site better than canned drum patterns that are monotonous and repetitious. The plug in stuff you can program your own drum hits and whatnot, for me I would rather play guitar than record stuff. I found I never go back and listen to anything much less anyone else. Far as recording, can't help with that, that alligator is just way too expensive for me to start feeding.