Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 Desktop/Bean Midi

markwesse

Currently, the HD500 doesnt allow any midi communications via USB, only via 5pin hardware. I want to use the bean/desktop unit in my rig which needs to be able to feed the usual control midi into the bean...only does anyone know if midi is implemented via USB? Or is the FBV interface the only control available? Thanks in advance.

I understand there is no 5 pin to the bean...but there is a usb which most audio interfaces ie even the line 6 DI port, allow midi coms through when using with a computer. They even show up as a midi port in the midi i/o of DAWs etc. Im asking the question for anyone who actually owns a bean and has it connected to their computer...can you see the beans midi port show up in a daw? The HD500 has 5 pin midi but this, usually normal feature, has been cut out of the usb i/o

HTH

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

As on other related thread...its good to answer only if you actually know...otherwise it doesnt really help anyone.

The midi does reg on windows as LINE 6 POD HD

It DOESNT actually do anything

Just for anyone in the future pondering....I ended up buying one anyway and looked for myself.

Hey Bruce - no midi ports on the Bean. I think the OP was going to use the USB connection to use the midi send from his DAW.

WHAT? No MIDI ports? Wow. That seems like an odd design choice. Boy, I can't think of any solution other than Line changing something then.

Joel_Brown...not specifying you...Im appreciative of the enthusiasm on the forum here; Im just trying to do a job, in minimum time, with comprehensive knowledge. Of the roughly 65 posts I have interacted with, nearly half of the responses have been bored peeps. "I think...I'm sure" etc dont help anyone...I have better things to do...like fixing my problem. Comprehensive knowledge is not a bad thing...and when I went to plug in the bean, saw the midi driver...it would have brought your knowledge into question. If you gave the all the details, I would then have the comprehensive knowledge, trust in what you are saying and no need to chase the wind.

Guys like hurghanico, are absolutely amazing...they need to be paid. I have asked several questions...responded with a full knowledgeable answer+ and I walk away able to do the job instantly,

Add to that, now I have that knowledge and can impart, accurately to the next person that needs it.

Line 6 make great tone...no doubt, best value on the planet. The integration of that tone into the landscape of musicians in 2015-16, leaves a lot to be desired when 

every step I take in that area is a compromise. Midi implementation is intrinsic for any serious integration, period vs eg a half baked looper.

Peace guys

You know if you would have spent the minute to Google the midi/usb device mentioned and HD bean you would have had your answer.

Have you actually tried yourself? Thats the whole point...why Im here. Starting with QOI (Quality of Information) to research, you start with the manufacturers manual...right? So while the HD500 explicitly states no midi over usb...the HD manual, whilst it would really need remote control way more than the hd500..does not. So moving to tier 2, with quality responses as mentioned, I investigate product forums for valid info. Then AFTER this point, you move into to the sea of oblivion...where disinformation has claimed many a soul; not to mention a lot of time wasted but a few hidden gems. If you navigate a different way...good luck to you. I have been trying to sort this for many months...in the end, I actually gave up on L6 and face the fact that I will need to stick to 4 presets using external wiring of the ABCD switch, Im just peeling the PCB out of the bean and sticking it into the floor board which uses a steinberg UR44 for the io...FCB1010 which for a cheap product has a feature set that is embarassing to the MKII shortboard (although the inverse is true for quality). Bottom line is L6 has great tone...Ill just live with the bean buried in the stomach of the rig...if I had space...I would manage it another way.

post-1411843-0-52506100-1478305932_thumb.jpg

Actually I first looked at the application of a midi/usb controller when the Zoom MS50 (again off memory I ''think'' it actually worked eventually via the mini usb port - but over the thousands of posts and the length of time further investigation is up to the interested party) came out which lead into looking at the applications for the Pod Bean (which had midi up through the XT series). It is an older topic and had came up for the Pocket Pod which I had mentioned previously but the user base for what you wanted is really narrow so its not a topic fresh in my head.

I know that there was a mod to get the FBV to work with a Kemper - who would have thought that, so like I said ''never say never'' if data can be translated one direction it certainly can have the flow reversed. Not knowing fully - I would not state definitely it couldn't be done - there are smarter and more driven people than me out there. :)

FCB + Uno = yes.

Thanks...yeah I guess it gets to a point of being too much trouble...would rather be playing...just debugging pure data atm for all the pedal board behaviours....much rather be playing. Im using Ossandust Uno eprom which he threw a couple of custom bits in for me...its pretty bullet proof really. Really miss having a rotary pedal...but cant find a decent industrial quadrature encoder that works with Livid card. A normal foot pedal is great for fx but gentle eg volume etc...anyway another story but getting late here...time for bed.