Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Warmoth neck for JTV69

Hi all

I have seen that people have mounted original Fender Strat necks on their JTV69's.  I also see that others use Warmoth necks.  I think I will go the Warmoth route.  I read that a "CBS Strat with standard thin" neck style would work, but I do not know what the tuner ream needs to be if I want to keep the JTV locking tuners, which I quite like.  And is there anything else I need to know?  I live in Germany so I need to get this right the first time.  And just FYI I am going for a maple fretboard which is always my weapon of choice.  Thanks for any advice.

Hi all

I have seen that people have mounted original Fender Strat necks on their JTV69's. I also see that others use Warmoth necks. I think I will go the Warmoth route. I read that a "CBS Strat with standard thin" neck style would work, but I do not know what the tuner ream needs to be if I want to keep the JTV locking tuners, which I quite like. And is there anything else I need to know? I live in Germany so I need to get this right the first time. And just FYI I am going for a maple fretboard which is always my weapon of choice. Thanks for any advice.

Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners...you'll thank me later.

But if not, you may have to actually pop one out and measure the hole. L6 is famous for not divulging info like this. "Since you can't be trusted to replace the tuners on your own without screwing it up, we won't tell you how big the holes are", or something similar is usually the rationale.

Here's what I ordered:

Style: CBS Stratocaster®
Construction: Vintage/Modern Construction
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Indian Rosewood
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: Standard thin
Fret Size: SS6150 (Stainless)
Tuner Ream: Gotoh/Grover (13/32" 11/32")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 21
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Inlays: Abalone Face Dots
Side Dots: White Side Dots

One thing to be aware of. The mounting holes do not all line up. I wound up having to drill two of them. It's not a huge deal do to but, just so you're aware.

Here's my JTV now:

10F9D7E2-9B75-436A-84E1-8A91AC7A51CD_zps

3B8BB62C-CCB4-4E95-B1CF-3C801A026F36_zps

Planet Waves Auto-Trim tuners...you'll thank me later.

But if not, you may have to actually pop one out and measure the hole. L6 is famous for not divulging info like this. "Since you can't be trusted to replace the tuners on your own without screwing it up, we won't tell you how big the holes are", or something similar is usually the rationale.

So is it safe to say the Planet Waves?  And any other specs or widths or whatever I need to know?

And... in my case they would be very right about that attitude, except I am definitely taking it to a luthier to get it done right.  I already screwed up that job on (fortunately only) a Squier Bullet Strat when I put in locking tuners.  Took a loooong time after that, before the guitar would actually stay in tune. :-)  Thanks for the info as usual!

Here's what I ordered:

One thing to be aware of. The mounting holes do not all line up. I wound up having to drill two of them. It's not a huge deal do to but, just so you're aware.

Very nice. Where did you get the decal? I've had various one's made off of ebay, and might do the same thing, as I don't like a blank headstock.

I ordered my Warmouth replacement neck three weeks ago. I'm not sure how much longer I have to wait, but I'm assuming another couple of weeks. I ordered:

Modern Construction

Mahogany shaft wood

Bubinga fret board

1 11/16" Earvana Black Tusq nut

Standard Thin Profile

22 - SS6150 Frets

Schaller ream, along with the tuners

Dot Mother of Pearl Inlays

Clear Satin

No mounting holes

The mahogany / bubinga combo was a bit of a gamble. Hopefully I'll like it.

I wonder if you can get a variax decal to put on the new neck. The only thing that bothers me is the blank headstock.... it needs some kinda design decal flourish, lol

Very nice. Where did you get the decal? I've had various one's made off of ebay, and might do the same thing, as I don't like a blank headstock.

I also don't care for the blank headstocks. I had it custom made by some company in the UK (i forget the name of it...). You can specify what text you want and they print up the decals for you. You can choose from a few different styles as well.

I ordered my Warmouth replacement neck three weeks ago. I'm not sure how much longer I have to wait, but I'm assuming another couple of weeks. I ordered:

Modern Construction

Mahogany shaft wood

Bubinga fret board

1 11/16" Earvana Black Tusq nut

Standard Thin Profile

22 - SS6150 Frets

Schaller ream, along with the tuners

Dot Mother of Pearl Inlays

Clear Satin

No mounting holes

The mahogany / bubinga combo was a bit of a gamble. Hopefully I'll like it.

OK now more questions ;-)

I like Medium Jumbo frets.  I thought those were 6105.  But I see you both got 6150.  ?

I want to use the stock tuners from the JTV, since I kind of doubt there is an aftermarket for JTV69 necks with tuners attached :-) So I am still not completely clear what tuner ream I should order, but if I give it to my luthier I guess he can make it work as long as the holes are not too BIG.

What decal?

OK now more questions ;-)

I like Medium Jumbo frets.  I thought those were 6105.  But I see you both got 6150.  ?

I want to use the stock tuners from the JTV, since I kind of doubt there is an aftermarket for JTV69 necks with tuners attached :-) So I am still not completely clear what tuner ream I should order, but if I give it to my luthier I guess he can make it work as long as the holes are not too BIG.

What decal?

The specs for the frets are:

6105 - .90 x .055

6150 - .102 x .042

So 6150 are a little wider and shorter than the 6105. I can live with either one. I measured my Variax at .106 x .062, a little too wide and tall for me.

If you're going to gamble on the tuner holes, I'd suggest ordering the smallest bore, then your luthier can enlarge them, like you said.

Here's what I ordered:

Here's my JTV now:

10F9D7E2-9B75-436A-84E1-8A91AC7A51CD_zps

3B8BB62C-CCB4-4E95-B1CF-3C801A026F36_zps

What tuners did you use?

Is there enough room between the Line6 holes and the originals to simply leave the old ones, or did you need to plug them?  I finally wore out the frets on my Mighty Mite neck and am looking at Warmoth.  Unfortunately they charge extra for undrilled necks and consider them a long lead-time custom order.  Would be nice if I didn't have to bother with that.

Finally, I assume the top holes line up correctly?  My tech didn't seem to think that any of the Variax holes were on standard Fender center locations.

I finally wore out the frets on my Mighty Mite neck and am looking at Warmoth. Unfortunately they charge extra for undrilled necks and consider them a long lead-time custom order. Would be nice if I didn't have to bother with that.

That is baffling, isn't it? "We're going to charge you more money to NOT drill holes". The world is an odd place.

It actually makes sense to me. Not drilling is special handling. Drilling costs nothing to do. Special handling costs $$ to do.

"Special handling"? A post-it saying "Don't drill holes in this one" would suffice.

And unless you're the Jesse Owens of the drill press, in terms of man-hours, I don't see how drilling 4 holes is less costly than writing a 6 word note. Hell, you could use the same note a thousand times...

You're being logical -- Stop It :P 

Actually, IMO they have a production run of finished drilled necks in stock. Now if you order something different (not drilled, not finished this way or that), they have to change their procedure for that onesie or twosie, so is (in their minds) special handling, and they want to discourage it, because in a production line, it's a PITA.... Charge more - if it's important enough to the customer, they'll pay it.... Doubt they make each neck to order (whether they claim to or not) - they probably know how many of this or that kind of neck gets ordered and how many to keep in stock. When the onesie or twosie order comes in, upsets their apple cart....

Dave

You're being logical -- Stop It :P

Actually, IMO they have a production run of finished drilled necks in stock. Now if you order something different (not drilled, not finished this way or that), they have to change their procedure for that onesie or twosie, so is (in their minds) special handling, and they want to discourage it, because in a production line, it's a PITA.... Charge more - if it's important enough to the customer, they'll pay it.... Doubt they make each neck to order (whether they claim to or not) - they probably know how many of this or that kind of neck gets ordered and how many to keep in stock. When the onesie or twosie order comes in, upsets their apple cart....

Dave

Oh, they absolutely have finished necks in stock, and you can't un-drill a hole...what's done is done.

And an up-charge for doing EXTRA work, outside your SOP is fair. But less work, even if that's "not how we do things here", is still less work. I'll bet money that those holes are the last step anyway. That being the case, for Bob's order, when it's time to drill holes...just don't. Presto! All done, box it up and give it to UPS...;)

Is there enough room between the Line6 holes and the originals to simply leave the old ones, or did you need to plug them?  I finally wore out the frets on my Mighty Mite neck and am looking at Warmoth.  Unfortunately they charge extra for undrilled necks and consider them a long lead-time custom order.  Would be nice if I didn't have to bother with that.

Finally, I assume the top holes line up correctly?  My tech didn't seem to think that any of the Variax holes were on standard Fender center locations.

I didn't plug anything, just drilled the new holes. Yes, the top holes (or the two at the very end of the neck) were fine. I had to drill the offset hole (obviously) and the other one.

I put a warmoth neck on a 69. I have planet waves on mine. Mine used to be on an old variax 69 and is a tilt back headstock strat neck. Flame maple, rosewood board, standard thin, 6105 stainless. Made a huge difference.

24969031423_bc8a918871_b.jpgIMG_

25477138512_62a61fa9ec_b.jpgIMG_3029 by toasterhombre, on Flickr

0957 by toasterhombre, on Flickr

I put a warmoth neck on a 69. I have planet waves on mine. Mine used to be on an old variax 69 and is a tilt back headstock strat neck. Flame maple, rosewood board, standard thin, 6105 stainless. Made a huge difference.

Wow! She's a beaut!!!

Considering how many different woods, finishes and profiles Warmouth offers, I doubt they keep very many necks in stock. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get my order, which included non drilling the mounting holes. Three and a half weeks and counting.

Considering how many different woods, finishes and profiles Warmouth offers, I doubt they keep very many necks in stock.

You couldn't be more wrong. Just go to the website and browse the "in stock" section. You'll be at it all day. There are hundreds to choose from at any given time. Each one photographed from multiple angles so you know exactly what you're getting. There tend to be fewer of the more "exotic" wood combinations in stock, but there are some...not to mention PLENTY of the more traditional maple/rosewood/ebony options.

This is my JTV69 with Warmoth neck on it (Standard Thin Profile) 

Plays great - 1 5/8" nut, compound radius, abalone dots, Sperzel tuners and stainless steel frets.

Beautiful neck and guitar. I'm anxious to get my Warmouth neck and hopefully make my JTV a daily player.

This is my JTV69 with Warmoth neck on it (Standard Thin Profile)

Plays great - 1 5/8" nut, compound radius, abalone dots, Sperzel tuners and stainless steel frets.

Very nice! Are thise lipstick pickups GFS? Have thought about swapping the neck p rail on my 69 to another lipstick pickup. Mine is a duncan but I always wanted to try some lipstick humbuckers.

Yes The P/U's are GFS and for the price they sound great, the single coils are the High Ohm models 8.5 Both of them.It helps compete with the humbucker.

I just finished my backup JTV69S and will post pics of it.

Did you have to route the body for those Prails?

Also, just to give a shout out (as a happy customer) for the necks by USA Custom Guitars. Top quality, and their "closeouts" (ones put up for sale because the person who ordered it flaked?) can be some pretty screaming deals. So they sell in days, but there's always new ones coming up.

By default, they don't drill their necks for mounting bolts, nor do they finish them, or install a nut. (They do offer finishing separately.) But to me it's smart, because it means you can get it done however you like. Plus, the neck can be fitted exactly to the specific guitar. And the best nut is always custom cut to the player's request (for material, string size, height and placement).

Sure, "plug and play" neck is nice, but unlikely to give you the best (for any given individual) results.

Sa-weet! Love me some P-Rails! Putting them on a Variax, because you can never have complicated enough wiring, right?

Have you tried them with the bridge pup in reverse? I like the single-coil sound a little better, but the trade-off of course is the weaker output.

I got my Warmouth neck today. Five weeks from order. Damn is this beautiful, mahogany, with bubinga fret board, 6150SS frets and a black Earvana Tusq nut. Two way truss rod with their standard slim profile and compound radius board. I can't wait to get it on my JTV69. The bubinga is smooth like silk and beautiful color and grain. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. I'm going to have a luthier put it on the guitar, so I probably won't get it back for 10 days or more. I'm really stoked about it now that I've seen and felt it.

He's one of the top shops in L.A. and 7 to 14 days is his usual turn around time. I've gotten used to the wait, knowing that what I get back is always the way I wanted it. Which is not what I got with the three shops I used before him.

From my Bubinga file, the new neck laying on it's new mate.

post-2381141-0-81297200-1478906446_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...