Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vetta and L6 Edit

BillBee

Finally got a Vetta and wow. The progression was Flex3->Douverb->Vetta 1 (all combos). But I must say the tones are incredible. The Duoverb is that good btw.

Firmware is at 2.03 (or something like that) so it cannot use L6 Edit 3 you have to use the earlier L6 Edit 2. In the Downloads area you must select the archived software for the Vetta - its there I DL'd a copy myself.

The whole point of the exercise to a) edit the amp b) make sure the midi connection is solid and reliable prior to the 2.5 firmware install (eventually).

If any others read this while trying to get connected to L6 Edit here ya go:

(on a WinXp pc btw)

M-Audio Uno usb/midi cable -> just get this one bricking your amp is not worth the hair loss.

(for some reason all my L6 gear goes in/in and out/out with this cable - even some Zoom and R-tron stuff so if your initial in/out, out/in fails try reversing them)

Install L6 Edit V2

Now with the Uno connected, turn the amp on (let it initialize) and connect the usb end to a rear port on the PC.

(rear ports - yes typically the fronts are hubs and connections can be hit or miss)

You will hear the dunk/dunk of the usb driver being loaded and a green light should be on the Uno (the plastic ball).

Cool now start L6 Edit - the Vetta 1 will be seen as a Vetta 2 (yes it is correct). You might have to go and add it manually to config the in/out of the Uno (in - usually is correct but the out likes to default to the windows wavesynth (or similar) so change "out" to the Uno).

After that the main L6 Edit window should open and show the loading of the Vetta's tones. Edit away.

You are now good to go and I hope that helps someone! :D

Bill

Note: L6 Edit needs Java installed. You can install the later L6 Edit V3 which includes it (IIRC) and then just uninstall L6 Edit V3. I was running out of time so I really didn't check to see if both V2 and V3 of L6 Edit could be left on the PC at the same time.

• Upvote 1

Alrighty then.... Vetta part 2:

The V2.5 upgrade was really worth it, amps, amps and more amps plus the L6 Edit V3 interface is pretty slick.

L6 Monkey V1.19, Vetta 2.5 VTF flash file on hard-drive is all you need and follow the instructions.

BUT if you didn't go through all the midi/usb advice in the prior post just stop here. Don't make a paper weight.

I used a WinXP PC, M-Audio Uno & tested the midi connection with firmware 2.03 using L6 Edit V2 sending and receiving and just generally having a blast with the Vetta.

Takes a bit for everything to be written firmware, new patches but afterwards....... sweet.

There is a great group on FB for the Vetta which can help you if you screw-up and is a good resource. They can also point you to using MidiOx as a sysex writer for the firmware as an alternative to Monkey.

-B

Alrighty then.... Vetta part 2:

The V2.5 upgrade was really worth it, amps, amps and more amps plus the L6 Edit V3 interface is pretty slick.

L6 Monkey V1.19, Vetta 2.5 VTF flash file on hard-drive is all you need and follow the instructions.

BUT if you didn't go through all the midi/usb advice in the prior post just stop here. Don't make a paper weight.

I used a WinXP PC, M-Audio Uno & tested the midi connection with firmware 2.03 using L6 Edit V2 sending and receiving and just generally having a blast with the Vetta.

Takes a bit for everything to be written firmware, new patches but afterwards....... sweet.

There is a great group on FB for the Vetta which can help you if you screw-up and is a good resource. They can also point you to using MidiOx as a sysex writer for the firmware as an alternative to Monkey.

-B

Good posts, Bill.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, all I can say is NOTHING's WORKING...and I am as confused as a rock.

I uploaded Edit 3.06 on the XP PC and got a Flash Memory error, code stated to use Java JRE6.  So I deleted Java JRE8 that I was using.  That got the Flash back along with another problem.  I forget what it was at this point, but I had to delete Edit 3.06 and use Edit 2.03. 

Now, under MONKEY 1.19 APPLICATIONS I have: Line 6 edit 3.06 and MONKEY 1.19 showing and under DEVICE FIRMWARE the Flash Memory is UNKNOWN.  Then it wants me to log on to Line 6 (and I already am) and it gives me a failed to connect message.

To top it off the M-Audio UNO is now flashing...

So, I close MONKEY 1.19 and open Edit 2.03 and get a message about a KNOB MODE WARNING. I select OK or whatever and it locks up...TWICE.  Also twice now, the left column shows my hard drive. I don't know what it's supposed to show/list, but after that nothing happens.

I think my intent is to download a copy of the original presets before uploading the, hell, even my train of thought is off tracks now.

Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

//////////////////////////

UPDATE:  OK< they're speaking to each other, but it's nothing but a shouting match.  Message on right side says loading or something to that effect then a message pops up that Communications has been stopped to select OK then REFRESH, while message on right keeps a churning...when I hit REFRESH all lights stop.

I'm not stupid.  I used to write procedures for complicated weapon systems, perform maintenance and teach it to soldiers and civilians on dozens of weapons, but I can't figure this mess out.

What I need is a step by step procedure.

Ok let's take this back a notch.

1) use a usb port on the back of the pc - that makes sure it is not a hub.

2) Monkey 1.19 is fine and so is Edit V2 for firmware 2.03

The knob mode warning is fine and I got that too but nothing locked up.

If L6 Edit is not working correctly don't flash the firmware. I would uninstall everything and reinstall (you can skip the L6 Edit 3 as you probably have java on there if L6 Edit 2 was running). M-Audio Drivers: be sure to get the latest versions.

Now I never had the Armin's Mod loaded, you don't by chance have those on your Vetta? They will lock it up when L6 Edit is loaded.

I posted a link in your RIP Thread for the Midi-Ox method of testing and loading the firmware.

• 9 months later...

UPDATE: OK, it's now 1:13 AM on Friday, Sep 8...

I turn my Vetta brick off...held down EDIT and turned it on.  RESULTS:  Channel lights read 999, windows now show blank screens (black bars gone) and ALL the lights are on.

And Monkey V1.16 (can't find the V1.19 you recommended) still won't let me log on...even though I am already logged in as I type this.

Any ideas?

I turn my Vetta brick off...held down EDIT and turned it on.  RESULTS:  Channel lights read 999, windows now show blank screens (black bars gone) and ALL the lights are on.

And Monkey V1.16 (can't find the V1.19 you recommended) still won't let me log on...even though I am already logged in as I type this.

Any ideas?

Line 6 no longer supports the Vetta with Monkey. You'll have to do it the old way. Go to the Vetta users group on Facebook for detailed help. 

Any ideas?

Hey There!

I usually have to log into L6 Monkey separately from the forums. Version 1.19 is there I just tried to DL it. Don't choose a device, choose Monkey and check the archive box. Its 2 items above the 1.16.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vetta/comments/4w5ze5/firmware_update_guide/?fref=gc&dti=647483512018911

That is a pretty good guide.

Another "hope it works" link:

https://web.archive.org/web/20161004050438/www.vettaville.nl/vvhowtoupdateeng.htm

The links won't work but the info is there.

Hey There!

I usually have to log into L6 Monkey separately from the forums. Version 1.19 is there I just tried to DL it. Don't choose a device, choose Monkey and check the archive box. Its 2 items above the 1.16.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vetta/comments/4w5ze5/firmware_update_guide/?fref=gc&dti=647483512018911

https://web.archive.org/web/20161004050438/www.vettaville.nl/vvhowtoupdateeng.htm

I tried to post this in the other thread, but it wouldn't take...

BillBee:  Thanks.  Once again you helped me out.  :)

It wasn't until later that I noticed other posts were "lollipop" also.  I just didn't want him thinking I was angry with him and calling him names.  After thinking about "lollipop", I figured it's a nickname from a grandchild.  I'm "Papa" to my greatgranddaughter (#6 of 7).  No one else calls me that.

I understand about the FB comment, I just am stubborn about ALL social media.  Someone said with FB people are giving up information that the FBI would normally need a warrant for.  :D  I don't want an account with them.  My wife has one, maybe she'll let me use it. ;)

You may have noticed that I have other posts where I ask about patches.  It's because I went a purchased another Vetta Combo last week (about $320 before taxes).  It's already set up with Version 2.5 so it's a Vetta II.  It has a few dings, but it still looks good.  Mine has never been out of the house so it still looks brand new. The factory patches mirror the user patches so I have to change most of them out with others I've downloaded to give them a try.

I've been playing 12 string acoustic for over 3 years now so I'm having a heck of a time trying to relearn the electric. I can do bends without even trying. :D

I tried to post this in the other thread, but it wouldn't take...

BillBee:  Thanks.  Once again you helped me out.  :)

It wasn't until later that I noticed other posts were "lollipop" also.  I just didn't want him thinking I was angry with him and calling him names.  After thinking about "lollipop", I figured it's a nickname from a grandchild.  I'm "Papa" to my greatgranddaughter (#6 of 7).  No one else calls me that.

I understand about the FB comment, I just am stubborn about ALL social media.  Someone said with FB people are giving up information that the FBI would normally need a warrant for.  :D  I don't want an account with them.  My wife has one, maybe she'll let me use it. ;)

You may have noticed that I have other posts where I ask about patches.  It's because I went a purchased another Vetta Combo last week (about $320 before taxes).  It's already set up with Version 2.5 so it's a Vetta II.  It has a few dings, but it still looks good.  Mine has never been out of the house so it still looks brand new. The factory patches mirror the user patches so I have to change most of them out with others I've downloaded to give them a try.

I've been playing 12 string acoustic for over 3 years now so I'm having a heck of a time trying to relearn the electric. I can do bends without even trying. :D

Its all good my man, and I really hope you can get the other brick going. The midi/usb thing is what I think has caused the most amount of problems. I made sure the Edit software was fully working (transferring, editing, saving) prior to flashing the amp. I did have to go In/In and Out/Out with Uno instead of the In/Out normal way (could just be my Uno was mislabeled but it worked).

Social Media, yeah I hear you but it is what it is. :D

Its all good my man, and I really hope you can get the other brick going. The midi/usb thing is what I think has caused the most amount of problems. I made sure the Edit software was fully working (transferring, editing, saving) prior to flashing the amp. I did have to go In/In and Out/Out with Uno instead of the In/Out normal way (could just be my Uno was mislabeled but it worked).

Social Media, yeah I hear you but it is what it is. :D

What are you up to?  Shouldn't you be at work?  :D  I gave that up (retired) over 7 years ago... 

My Uno is marked something like" this goes to...".  And it works that way.

I've used it on the new one, just looking to see what's there, no downloads or anything yet. It seems to communicate w/o any issues.

I asked in another thread, but if you'll indulge me once again, can older patches be used on the Vetta II of just .l6t patches?

Thanks (again...).  Bill

What are you up to?  Shouldn't you be at work?  :D  I gave that up (retired) over 7 years ago... 

My Uno is marked something like" this goes to...".  And it works that way.

I've used it on the new one, just looking to see what's there, no downloads or anything yet. It seems to communicate w/o any issues.

I asked in another thread, but if you'll indulge me once again, can older patches be used on the Vetta II of just .l6t patches?

Thanks (again...).  Bill

Oh I am slaving away, but I get a chance to have a break here and there. 15 years of lollipop to go!! ;)

TBH regarding the Vetta patches - I have only ever made mine own. You could try loading them in the editor and if they audition correctly in the amp they "should" be fine.

-Bill

Hey There!

OK, went to the site and DLd Monkey V1.19...after loading it says I already have V1.72...I say load 1.19.

I went to that second link...Nathan's page.  It goes all over the place...very illogical.

At the reddit.com instructions I stopped at step 9. After holding COMP down and turning it on all I have are (lit) BLANK screens.  There is no prompt for SOFTWARE UPDATE so I did NOT press EDIT.

...........How's the show going? Or how did it/they go?

I went to the FB home page and they wanted more info than I could give.  Why does every company assume EVERYONE has a cell phone?

OK, went to the site and DLd Monkey V1.19...after loading it says I already have V1.72...I say load 1.19.

I went to that second link...Nathan's page.  It goes all over the place...very illogical.

At the reddit.com instructions I stopped at step 9. After holding COMP down and turning it on all I have are (lit) BLANK screens.  There is no prompt for SOFTWARE UPDATE so I did NOT press EDIT.

...........How's the show going? Or how did it/they go?

I went to the FB home page and they wanted more info than I could give.  Why does every company assume EVERYONE has a cell phone?

You have to delete the old L6 Monkey first.

Those other instructions are what they are.

HA!! I was able to convert the FB instructions to a PDF. Hope that helps.

Show? The band melted down early in the year and we finally have a singer/bass so hopefully we can get back on stage soon.

VETTA REFLASH INSTRUCTIONS USING MIDI OX (1).pdf

You have to delete the old L6 Monkey first.

Those other instructions are what they are.

Show? The band melted down early in the year and we finally have a singer/bass so hopefully we can get back on stage soon.

The last band I was in was in college in 1981-82.  The last time I played on stage (not at a party) was in Kosovo in 2000. A Southern Rock band invited players up if they wanted.  I requested we play Flirting With Disaster (Molly Hatchet).  The guy said "You sure?"  I said yep. It went over great haven't not played it in 18 years.  When I got back to my table everyone was treating me like a rock star (LOL!).  Many of them said they didn't know I even played. And me being old enough to be their fathers.

Thanks for the PDF.  I'll check it out later today.

I purchased a new USED Vetta replacement for my old one.  I uploaded new user patches and tried them out last night. Some are OK and require a lot of tweaking for my ears (which are BAD), but many of them got me to thinking WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?  LOL!

NEW ISSUE:  Several times last night while switching channels the sound died.  Everything else "looked" good, but no sound..even after switching to other channels.  I have to wonder if it is dying?  I purchased it through Guitar Center so I have like 45 days to return it for a refund, but I want (hope) to returning still in working condition.  Tough decision.  If I can get mine back up then it's a simple decision...it goes back.

Another thing, I've never really been any kind of a lead player and after last night I'm even thinking I'm not much of an electric player either.  Being without my Vetta for all that time and playing only an acoustic 12 string I may just give it up and play acoustics.

Another problem I have, being older and such, is who do I leave my gear to after I go?  No one in my family is musically inclined.  I have a '76 Fender Telecaster Deluxe that I've owned since, well, 1976.  Sure would hate the wife to auction it off for $50.00.  As the Stooges said:  Wimmen!

Thanks again for the PDF.  Later.

The last band I was in was in college in 1981-82.  The last time I played on stage (not at a party) was in Kosovo in 2000. A Southern Rock band invited players up if they wanted.  I requested we play Flirting With Disaster (Molly Hatchet).  The guy said "You sure?"  I said yep. It went over great haven't not played it in 18 years.  When I got back to my table everyone was treating me like a rock star (LOL!).  Many of them said they didn't know I even played. And me being old enough to be their fathers.

Thanks for the PDF.  I'll check it out later today.

I purchased a new USED Vetta replacement for my old one.  I uploaded new user patches and tried them out last night. Some are OK and require a lot of tweaking for my ears (which are BAD), but many of them got me to thinking WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?  LOL!

NEW ISSUE:  Several times last night while switching channels the sound died.  Everything else "looked" good, but no sound..even after switching to other channels.  I have to wonder if it is dying?  I purchased it through Guitar Center so I have like 45 days to return it for a refund, but I want (hope) to returning still in working condition.  Tough decision.  If I can get mine back up then it's a simple decision...it goes back.

Another thing, I've never really been any kind of a lead player and after last night I'm even thinking I'm not much of an electric player either.  Being without my Vetta for all that time and playing only an acoustic 12 string I may just give it up and play acoustics.

Another problem I have, being older and such, is who do I leave my gear to after I go?  No one in my family is musically inclined.  I have a '76 Fender Telecaster Deluxe that I've owned since, well, 1976.  Sure would hate the wife to auction it off for $50.00.  As the Stooges said:  Wimmen!

Thanks again for the PDF.  Later.

Great story, times like that are priceless. I am supposed to be learning that tune soon so I will be up close and personal as I tab it out.

Tough to say on the "no sound" when switching channels unless the patch was screwed up and had the volume zero'ed by default. Fire up Edit and see what's what.

You can develop some monster acoustic chops and some of those cats are monster players. Its all about what makes you grin. :)

'76 Deluxe Tele one of my faves and hear you about the wife selling things. If mine sells them for what I told her I paid I may have to come back and haunt her!!

If mine sells them for what I told her I paid I may have to come back and haunt her!!

I'll be checking that out too.  I thought maybe the originator was making a library of blanks to be filled in later.  But, IMO, that should not make all the others channels I switched to afterwards not work.

FWIW, I only loaded .l6t files.  I may try to load a couple of .syx patches today to see if they work.

And the beat goes on...  ; ' )

OK, followed the BLIND instructions to the letter.  Read it several times to get the process down..  Midi flashed SENDING...but apparently it went nowhere.

RESULTS:  Just black bars and 888.  Turned it off then back on and I get 222...repeat and I get AAA and all lights lit up.  Almost every time there's

something different in the numbers screen and multiple light configurations, but no messages.

Do you know if the the operating system located on a removable chip?  I would really like to take the memory from the newly purchased Vetta and put it into my old Vetta because it's in better condition.  They should have put the program(s) on a plug & play HD for times like these.

EDIT:  Going back to the RIP thread I read where you wrote"  "...Monkey 1.19 and select "flash from File".  I never did see that message in Monkey.

EDIT:  Did some research...memory is EPROM.  Even if the EPROM is on the motherboard then all one has to do is replace it and it's UNBRICKED.  Am I being too logical here?  It's just electronics.

I

OK, followed the BLIND instructions to the letter.  Read it several times to get the process down..  Midi flashed SENDING...but apparently it went nowhere.

RESULTS:  Just black bars and 888.  Turned it off then back on and I get 222...repeat and I get AAA and all lights lit up.  Almost every time there's

something different in the numbers screen and multiple light configurations, but no messages.

Do you know if the the operating system located on a removable chip?  I would really like to take the memory from the newly purchased Vetta and put it into my old Vetta because it's in better condition.  They should have put the program(s) on a plug & play HD for times like these.

EDIT:  Going back to the RIP thread I read where you wrote"  "...Monkey 1.19 and select "flash from File".  I never did see that message in Monkey.

EDIT:  Did some research...memory is EPROM.  Even if the EPROM is on the motherboard then all one has to do is replace it and it's UNBRICKED.  Am I being too logical here?  It's just electronics.

If you have two vetta amps I think there is a procedure to dump the OS from one to the other directly without a computer in the loop. Of course they both have to be the same kind of amp i.e. head or combo but if they are the same you're supposed to be in great shape. I forgot where it was but it's out there on the web somewhere.  

I

If you have two vetta amps I think there is a procedure to dump the OS from one to the other directly without a computer in the loop. Of course they both have to be the same kind of amp i.e. head or combo but if they are the same you're supposed to be in great shape. I forgot where it was but it's out there on the web somewhere.  

Thanks, lollipop.  I saw the post where you mentioned the same thing.  I did some research (2 days worth) looking for it but found nothing on the subject.

Bill