Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Much lower volume when using Artist 30 preamp via 4CM

sgodden

As mentioned in a previous post, I am using Helix through a Blackstar Artist 30 via 4CM.  Very impressed so far.

On most of my patches I don't have the Artist preamp in the chain and am using modelled Amps (no cabs).

However, I also have a patch where I am only using the Artist preamp - it has a lovely chimey old Vox quality to it.

The volume on this patch is way lower than the other patches, and I am having to lower the output of those other patches by 8 to 10Db to get parity.  I am putting the preamp in FX loop 1, and using send 1 and return 1 in the chain.

Is this just the way it is?  Or can anyone suggest anything I might be doing wrong?

It's all about gain staging.  My Boogies all run a much hotter signal that the Helix amps when I run them 4CM, so I tame them down with the loop level.  You might want to try a gain block to goose the Blackstar signal a bit and balance it out, or turn up the master volume on the Blackstar.