Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Octave pedal ever...

WickedFinger

Without a doubt the best octave pedal ever. Polyphonic tracking, no latency, no glitch tracking. 8va up, 8va dwn, 5th up, and dry mix.

Added this to my externals with the new Whammy Ricochet so all Whammy and Octave things covered and then some.

This Quint is a wickedly wonderful pedal, so much fun to play. Sure spending money, did anyone think playing guitar ever reached a no pay for play zone? 

090_gpr0916_gear_Trex-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Like those guys as well.

I had POG and others. I do think the POG does a rather wicked organ tone the Quint does not really get. The shear power and fidelity of the low octave is unmatched. The upper has that same sort of POD octave tone but the POG modulates it into more of an organ reverberation hence it does a better organ mimic. The 5th is rather cool and unique for an octave pedal. The tracking and overall tone quality is unmatched for my 2 cents. I have been learning to use the mix control and dial down the octaves and 5th for a more subtle enhancement on my main tone. My only complaint with the unit is I much more prefer a lowered 5th like I was getting on my Whammy V. Upper 5th is OK and novel at times but I do prefer the lowered 5th, sounds more Jeff Beck like to me. Anyway, killer pedal, beats the tracking and tone of anything currently in the Helix. A fine example of std cable polyphonic tracking technology. Oh by the way, Cello, the Mel9, amazing pedal. I was doing a rendering of the Game of Thrones theme and my wife actually came into the studio room as it sounded so dead on Cello. You do not want to run the Mel9 in your std chain but on a separate feed. You do not want to try running that into any gained amp or OD pedals. Sounds marvelous by itself, a lot of things you can do, strings are pretty awesome as well. I'm not a huge fan or user of EHX stuff but that series of keyboard pedals is pretty unmatched stuff. 

You do not want to run the Mel9 in your std chain but on a separate feed. You do not want to try running that into any gained amp or OD pedals. Sounds marvelous by itself, a lot of things you can do, strings are pretty awesome as well.

My "kitchen sink" setup includes a Key, Mel, and B pedal - I have 3 independant sends just after an input compressor, the returns come after any amp/cab stuff, but before mod and delay/verbs.  My only gripe is with the Mel, I wish they'd given some control over the fixed vibrato - it can get a little obnoxious.

• 3 weeks later...

I look to the Mel9 as merely a background generator, but all in all the real Mellotron was a moody breakdown beast, they must have cut a hundred takes capturing it.

Mine goes out on feed into my Trio line and then on to the FRFR rig. I see no other way to use these type of pedals than isolate them.

I find a few settings pretty novel and others not so much but, yeah it is very much like a real oddball Mellotron in all its glory.

I was using the Cello mode with my guitar feeds off, playing the Game of Thrones theme and my wife actually came up into the sound room very impressed by the accuracy of the tone and feel.

The Quint is doing well for me, other than its novel +5th there are others comparable, tracking is notable to be sure. You have a wide range of adjustments. Since I always loved the lower -5th harmonizer mode on my Whammy V I may at some point return to it. I got a Ricochet Whammy and wish I had just gotten another Whammy V maybe even the DT downtune model and been ahead of the game. The Quint and a few others have the advantage of running multiple octaves and the 5th on the Quint but that has limited usage aspect. I find some interesting enhancements keeping the blend down and more subtle levels on my std tone. I would have much rather have a lower -5th than up. My advice in the pedal acquisition for better effects is the Whammy V, does it all but no multiple 8vas. I hate old version Gitchout whammys so which one did they bother to model, an old one of course. The Whammy V is true bypass, polyphonic and just wicked. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If this thread is about octave fuzzes, as opposed to harmony generators, I really really like the sound of the GNI Octa Fuzz, which is apparently what Andy Timmons uses, like in

. Never played one, but I like the demo and of course what AT does with it.

EDIT: Server not found on the link to GNI, can't find it, too bad, hope it's temporary.

• 1 year later...

So, I got bored in the last weekend and I developed a new Polyphonic Octave generator for fun. It's a stand-alone Windows program with a very simple GUI.

You can use it with an old TonePort/GX as a "plain" low latency ASIO sound card. Interestingly, I found the default "Line6 GX" to give much worse latency than the ASIO4ALL driver.

image.png.c9d1ca366624cd51e7f60ad13b6cb036.png

Here's a demo by the Oud Master Khalid Najid. Oud is an acoustic fret-less instrument believed to be the ancestor of the modern Guitar

Original Track: KhalidNajid.mp3

Track Processed with my octaver: KhalidNajidOctaver.mp3

Anyone interested in testing this software? Please contact me privately!