Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using the S/PDIF Output

ramosv

Hi! I plan to use monitor speakers for my HD500X. I have it plugged at the moment on an amp, but I'd like to test out how it does with monitor speakers. As I plan to use the S/PDIF output, I am unsure if my monitor speakers with 24bit/192Khz sampling rate can handle the output of the HD500X. I am not an expert at these things. I would appreciate any advice/answer you guys can provide. :)

I am 99% sure your power monitors do not have SPDIF inputs. You'll need some sort of audio interface to use SPDIF. Then you'll need some sort of software to rout the SPDIF input to the analog outputs to drive the monitors. Most audio interfaces include software as part of the package, I think. But why do you want to use SPDIF to drive your monitors? SPDIF is usually use for recording purposes.

The problem is data conversion. SPDIF is digital. Your powered monitors are analog. You'll need an ADC somewhere in the system to convert. That's what the audio interface does. Recording on your computer requires a digital input so SPDIF is a natural fit. But if you can get an analog output from the HD500 then that could go directly into the powered monitors with no other hardware. That's what the HD500's XLR and 1/4" outputs are for. I would just use those and forget about SPDIF until your're ready to start recording, in which case a whole 'nother world opens up for you with lots of decisions to be made.

I am 99% sure your power monitors do not have SPDIF inputs.

Looks like Behringer MS-20s have SPDIF (COAXIAL) inputs... who knew. It also looks like they will take UP TO a 192kHz/24-bit signal, so you should be fine. The HD500X puts out 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz or 96kHz.

As long as the cable is 75 ohms, as bjnette says, or a composite video cable from back in the day, the quality of the cable will make little difference, as the signal is digital. So don't waste your money on anything marketed as better, unless you have something just lying around somewhere.