Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problem with guitar

When I put the battery in fully charged, the 4 lights flash, then go out.  In addition, I cannot get any of the features to work.  Alternate tunings, the LED doesn't light up to change models, but when plugged into an amp I get sound, just generic, basic sound.

The symptoms suggest that your battery is not, in fact, charged. Perhaps the battery itself, or the charger, is faulty. Do you have an alternate battery/charger, or are you near a Line 6 retailer where you could take the guitar to test?

Also. make sure you are using the official Line 6 battery and charger. Apparently substitutes won't work.

There's another potential explanation: your Model knob may not be engaging properly when you depress it. Check to see that the base of the knob is not touching the guitar body during depression. This can prevent the knob shaft from going deep enough to engage the underlying switch. If this is happening, gently pry the knob off the shaft, place a small wad of paper in the hollow of the knob, and replace it carefully on the shaft. This will raise the knob on the shaft so that it depresses fully.

There's another potential explanation: your Model knob may not be engaging properly when you depress it. Check to see that the base of the knob is not touching the guitar body during depression. This can prevent the knob shaft from going deep enough to engage the underlying switch. If this is happening, gently pry the knob off the shaft, place a small wad of paper in the hollow of the knob, and replace it carefully on the shaft. This will raise the knob on the shaft so that it depresses fully.

I actually figured it out.  There's definitely a short in the battery compartment.  If I take my fingers and push the batter down a little deeper than just sliding it in, it recognizes the device and all is well.  Unfortunately I can't play one-handed.  Gonna have to take it in to trace the short.

Are you sure you have the battery latched in correctly?  It almost sounds like the rails on the battery haven't properly engaged with the case.  It requires a little bit of force to snap it in correctly.  Are you feeling that resistance?

As stated already, third-party batteries are a non-starter.  Line6 batteries are equipped with a special "cash flow protection" chip to ensure that nothing else can be used in the JTV and (I assume) Variax Standard guitars.

New member here, just joined up today after buying a variax 300,can anyone tell me wher to buy a whammy bar, tried everywhere, one place in America has them but wont ship to Scotland, any advice guys?

Sorry I don't know. You may want to start a new thread in the appropriate forum, you'll get better answers.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm having a similar problem with my JTV59.

Battery is Fully charged (charged for 48+ hours.) When I press the "Battery Test" Button the fours green LEDs flash a few times then turn off. Never have seen lights "stay on". I have 1/4' cable plugged into the jack and the VDI cable connected to the RJ45 connector and the VDI is connected to my Mac (Sierra OS).

I bought the guitar new and it has NEVER allowed modeling despite my many hours of research in the Forums here and on Reddit. Monkey sees the USB interface but not the JTV59, Workbench HD doesn't see anything. Red blinking light, guitar side on the VDI USB. 

Three months in and i'm ready to sell it, take the loss and get another ESPLTD. :(

Anyone have advice?

New member here, just joined up today after buying a variax 300,can anyone tell me wher to buy a whammy bar, tried everywhere, one place in America has them but wont ship to Scotland, any advice guys?

I believe it's a fairly generic whammy bar. I would just go into a store with it and try one.