Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Popping and clicking using Logic

Lee10

Hi All,

I have the latest Helix upgrades for everything etc however when I record i am getting the occasional annoying popping within Logic. Is anyone else have this problem.

For me this is a show stopper to send stems off to our recording guys.

Any help would be appreciated. 

thanks

Lee

Have you tried increasing the buffer size? You might also want to make sure you disable Time Machine, turn off any iCloud syncing services and notifications.

Also, what kind of Mac is it?

Yes, check your buffer setting.  It's a balance between latency (higher buffer settings) and system bottlenecks (popping with lower buffer settings).  

Hi All,

I have the latest Helix upgrades for everything etc however when I record i am getting the occasional annoying popping within Logic. Is anyone else have this problem.

For me this is a show stopper to send stems off to our recording guys.

Any help would be appreciated. 

thanks

Lee

Hi Lee,

The popping and clicking that you refer to could well be an older issue that some Helix users were having with Logic and OSX and the "driver" which needed to be replaced by the Custom Line 6 Driver. The native Mac OSX driver also messed up the sample rate options - IIRC the Mac would get stuck on 44100.0Hz even when Helix showed the other options ie: 48000.0Hz, 82200.0Hz and 96000.0Hz as available.

See this thread for info about the driver:

http://line6.com/support/topic/19809-helix-mac-driver-100-public-beta-now-available/page-2?do=findComment&comment=177776

I'm not sure it worked for everyone, but it may be worth a try.

Good luck and let us all know if it works for you.

Hope this helps.

Is the popping literally recorded in the sound file or only on playback? I can record pop-free with Helix via USB with macOS but playback always has pops. As soon as I finish recording guitar takes I switch back to my other soundcard for playback and all pops go away. No amount of buffer increase has ever been able to remove the pops (for me) but the pops are not in the actual recorded file.

I have occasional Popping and cracking in FL Studio with my helix.

These are the steps I take to resolve it.

1. Open the ASIO settings in FL STudio.

2. Change the ASIO driver to FL ASIO, or ASIO4All.

3. Wait 10 seconds, then I change it back to the Helix ASIO drivers. And Boom all cracking/popping is gone.

This happens probably once or twice a session depending on how long the session is. However it is a quick fix that I don't even have to reload my project. 

I was pulling my hair out with this issue, and I have went through more troubleshooting steps than most on here would even think of doing. The above seems to be the most effective way of fixing the issue.

I figure once FL Studio gets a few more stability updates ( they are going through massive changes with the software right now) and Line 6 gets some better/more stable drivers themselves, the issue will probably fade away at some point.

ASIO4All is free, and you should be able to use it. For the same steps, I know you use Logic, but this should work the same in every DAW, or very similar steps.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

It does - it's good to have that info available.

It's worth noting that this is/could be a potential issue for FL users, but the OP (Lee10) states he is using Logic, so that makes it a Mac/Helix problem only.

BTW, did the snap, crackle and pop interference become a serious bug on some Windows machines?

I thought they were immune and it was just a Class Compliant Mac Core Audio thing back in earlier OSX 10 .X.X Yosemite iterations?

I maybe wrong (I usually am - according to my wife). :P

It does - it's good to have that info available.

It's worth noting that this is/could be a potential issue for FL users, but the OP (Lee10) states he is using Logic, so that makes it a Mac/Helix problem only.

BTW, did the snap, crackle and pop interference become a serious bug on some Windows machines?

I thought they were immune and it was just a Class Compliant Mac Core Audio thing back in earlier OSX 10 .X.X Yosemite iterations?

I maybe wrong (I usually am - according to my wife). :P

Sorry I missed where the OP was on MAC. lol

Yes the class compliant MAC Core Audio thing was more widespread, but there are Windows users who have similar problems as well.

About the popping and crackling in windows. I have seen multiple users having the same problem on windows machines, with various DAWs.  FL STudio was one of them, but I want to say the problem also was in some other DAWS as well. 

There may be an issue with the Helix and FL Studio, but I don't think it is exclusive to that combination. I honestly think more investigation into that would reveal that. 

Either way, Imageline is really updating FL Studio so whatever issue that is on their side, may very well be cleared up in the near future.  Also while attacking it from the other end... More stable USB ASIO drivers for the Helix couldn't hurt, and I expect at least one more update in that department for the unit!

Oh and my GF likes to think I am wrong, along with a few other women in my life, despite that I am right the majority of the time. :P

Hi All,

I will have a play tonight and see. 

So basically,

El Capitan, Time machine OFF, Helix USB/Mac driver installed when first came out and all was working great until recently. I was wondering maybe it was the latest Helix update... but lets see.

I will play with the advice you gave and let you know..

Appreciate the help :)

Lee

Also while attacking it from the other end... More stable USB ASIO drivers for the Helix couldn't hurt, and I expect at least one more update in that department for the unit!

Oh and my GF likes to think I am wrong, along with a few other women in my life, despite that I am right the majority of the time. :P

Yep, a few folks have been questioning if the current Line 6 custom driver still retains "Beta" status. Maybe that could be clarified, or possibly one of the fixes in the predicted next Firm Ware update.

Oh yeah, also there is that old saying - "if there is a man standing in the rain forest and there is no woman there to hear him - is he still wrong?"  ;)