Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench Preset Volume

File this under:

"I should have noticed that..."

The biggest problem with the 2.0 models, for me, was the low output of the Spank models. So I tried boosting the pickups in all Spank models to the max 6db. It sounded better, but still not as loud as my American Strat. 
Then I noticed the "Preset Volume" on the bottom left of the Workbench HD interface. Genius! I raised the preset volume of all Spank models 4db and set the pickup outputs to +4.5 db. Perfect. 

The "preset volume"  resolves the other thing that bothered about the Variax. The volume of the models is designed to match the guitars that Line 6 modeled. 
So the Lester is naturally loudest. But I want all my models to play with the same output, so switching models in in mid-set (or mid song) doesn't require changing pedal or amp settings. 

So I went through all the models and matched their volume to the Lester model. 
Then, I adjusted the height of the actual pickups in the guitar so the their output matched the output of the Lester model.
Then, I connected the Variax through Workbench and played each model vs. the Lester model. It takes some time, but I raised each model to match the output of Lester. I did this because the output of Lester is actually really close to my actual Les Paul. Most of the models needed a little extra output. One of the acoustics needed a db reduction, so I typed in -1. 

I'm sure many veterans of Workbench knew about the Preset Volume. But it sure was a perfect fix for the minor gripes I had with he Variax. I don't usually like to tinker with stuff this much, but it was well worth it!
Spank sounds damn good now!

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Crap.

I thought I could save a bank by clicking on the header before saving. It highlighted the 5 positions for the bank that I named and saved them. But I guess you have to load (double click on) a model, then click the bank header and then save as a bank.

I just re-saved and uploaded them. Workbench is still new to me....

Sorry for the mix-up.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Crap.

I thought I could save a bank by clicking on the header before saving. It highlighted the 5 positions for the bank that I named and saved them. But I guess you have to load (double click on) a model, then click the bank header and then save as a bank.

I just re-saved and uploaded them. Workbench is still new to me....

Sorry for the mix-up.

Hi man could you please send me the bundle? I have no access to the attached file in the original post, and registration always fails saying my email is a spam :blink:

I don't see the point personally, in levelling all the modelled guitars to the same volume - I use the fact that they have different output levels, which in turn drive the amp selected in different ways. E.G. i might play a rhythm part with a Strat model, then flick to a higher output pickup to boost the signal (amongst other methods), for a hotter/dirtier rhythm tone, or when soloing.

Horses for courses I guess.....

Great Tip! Just barely started adjusting this myself.I usually have to my own sound so I pop my solos/ emphasize parts with a boost pedal.

Having all the guitars jumping around does not work for me either.Very very helpful info!!!

Thank You!

Great Tip! Just barely started adjusting this myself.I usually have to my own sound so I pop my solos/ emphasize parts with a boost pedal.

Having all the guitars jumping around does not work for me either.Very very helpful info!!!

Thank You!

By knowing which models naturally "pop out", you can make solos stand out more ;)

True dat.However if I am playing Folsom Prison Blues using the rear Telecaster pickup I would really rather not switch to the Lester rear pickup setting for the solo even though it pops out.I dont even usually like single/single/ humbucker guitars for this reason.I like to use all pickup positions for rhythm and lead work. I adjust all three pickups on all three positions of all of my strats to have the same relative output level for this same reason. But yes many players use the pickup selector on any electric to raise the level of a solo and it works very well!

• 6 months later...

When I look at the preset volume, all of the settings for all of the presets are the same 0.0dB. Do you just pick 1 (the Lester for instance) and adjust all of the others relative to the 1 you picked? 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bit of an old thread, but I'm looking for this file. Registered for vguitar but don't see an attachment. Is this file (or a similar one with leveled outputs) available somewhere?

Also, assuming this will work for a Standard since the models are the same as JTV?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/29/2021 at 9:39 PM, dankrzykowski said:

THANK YOU for this. I feel like they should match volumes across the board simply as a matter of course. For me, the biggest thing was that the bridge Les Paul output was just crazy hot compared to everything else. Your numbers seem to match mine.

The main problem with that is different guitars have different output levels so to model a Start whose output is the same as a Les Paul would be an inaccurate model. So I doubt that will happen. Maybe they could at least have it as an option? i do think the modeled outputs on most of them are a bit low. But I haven't made any comparisons to the real thing.