Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Owner of Helix Rack and L2M - Question about noise from L2M

harosha

Hello All,

I just bought a Helix rack and a L2M speaker last week. I love the Helix sound and ease of use, works like a dream in the studio! The L2M is an amazing sounding speaker!

I noticed some buzzing from the L2M last night on certain notes. It seems to be coming from the fan area in the back. Upon doing some research in this forum it looks like this is a known issue but, most of the posts were from about two years ago. I also didn't see a full resolution on the problem (may be I missed?), but it looked like Line 6 confirmed it was a fan issue and they were fixing it under warranty.

Does anyone know if this was officially "fixed" by line 6? Shouldn't the new units be shipping with the issue fixed already? I am wondering if I received an old stock unit from musiciansfriend? Before I try to get the unit exchanged, I wanted to get more information here. If this is not fixed then, I may have to look for something else ... may be a Yamaha DBR12 or 15. The buzzing is very annoying in the studio setting.

Regards

I noticed some buzzing from the L2M last night on certain notes. It seems to be coming from the fan area in the back. Upon doing some research in this forum it looks like this is a known issue but, most of the posts were from about two years ago. I also didn't see a full resolution on the problem (may be I missed?), but it looked like Line 6 confirmed it was a fan issue and they were fixing it under warranty.

Does anyone know if this was officially "fixed" by line 6? Shouldn't the new units be shipping with the issue fixed already? I am wondering if I received an old stock unit from musiciansfriend?

Let me guess...it happens with F# on the 6th string, right? In all likelihood it is the fan assembly. I had the same problem. Took 2 attempts for the repair to stick, but now it's fine.

And yes, you probably got "new old stock". Stuff sits in warehouses forever sometimes. Or it was returned by someone else for the same reason, and pawned off on you. That happens all the time, too. MF is GC's online counterpart. You do the math...

Let me guess...it happens with F# on the 6th string, right? In all likelihood it is the fan assembly. I had the same problem. Took 2 attempts for the repair to stick, but now it's fine.

And yes, you probably got "new old stock". Stuff sits in warehouses forever sometimes. Or it was returned by someone else for the same reason, and pawned off on you. That happens all the time, too. MF is GC's online counterpart. You do the math...

It's very bad on F, I can also hear it on A. Let me open a ticket and see what response I get from Line 6. Hopefully they can check the serial number and advise if this is indeed a unit with the old fan.

It's very bad on F, I can also hear it on A. Let me open a ticket and see what response I get from Line 6. Hopefully they can check the serial number and advise if this is indeed a unit with the old fan.

I asked about the serial number prior to purchasing my L2T, hoping to avoid the issue altogether, as it was already a known problem. I spoke directly to customer service at L6 and was told there's no way to tell a manufacturing date from the serial number (which I find hard to believe, but I digress). However, they didn't question it much. If you describe the symptoms, they pretty much authorize the repair on the spot, and they should be able to tell you the nearest place to take it.

I asked about the serial number prior to purchasing my L2T, hoping to avoid the issue altogether, as it was already a known problem. I spoke directly to customer service at L6 and was told there's no way to tell a manufacturing date from the serial number (which I find hard to believe, but I digress). However, they didn't question it much. If you describe the symptoms, they pretty much authorize the repair on the spot, and they should be able to tell you the nearest place to take it.

That's strange not to know the manufacturing date based on the serial number ... I would think that's the first thing they track to know what parts are used in a specific unit and if they are having issues with a particular part or a vendor they source the parts from.

I just opened a service ticket. I kind of have an issue with getting a brand new unit repaired but then, if it is done on the spot and is close by, it might be easier than getting it returned and getting a new unit. Let's see what happens. Thanks for your response!

That's strange not to know the manufacturing date based on the serial number ... I would think that's the first thing they track to know what parts are used in a specific unit and if they are having issues with a particular part or a vendor they source the parts from.

I just opened a service ticket. I kind of have an issue with getting a brand new unit repaired but then, if it is done on the spot and is close by, it might be easier than getting it returned and getting a new unit. Let's see what happens. Thanks for your response!

Don't hold your breath for getting it done while you wait. "Authorized service centers" tend to leave much to be desired, especially if they direct you to your local Megalomusic. But no matter where they send you, it's unlikely that they'll have a new fan assembly just sitting there. It's gonna take a couple of weeks.

Don't hold your breath for getting it done while you wait. "Authorized service centers" tend to leave much to be desired, especially if they direct you to your local Megalomusic. But no matter where they send you, it's unlikely that they'll have a new fan assembly just sitting there. It's gonna take a couple of weeks.

Yikes! can't be without it for that long ... this might be going back if that's the case :(

Yikes! can't be without it for that long ... this might be going back if that's the case :(

If the place has another one in stock, that's what I'd do. It's almost guaranteed to be a faster turnaround. And if you can, crank it loud in the store and see if that one rattles too, before you take it home.

Edit: never mind that last part, you ordered it from MF, right? I'd still send it back for another one. Not much to lose.

If the place has another one in stock, that's what I'd do. It's almost guaranteed to be a faster turnaround. And if you can, crank it loud in the store and see if that one rattles too, before you take it home.

Edit: never mind that last part, you ordered it from MF, right? I'd still send it back for another one. Not much to lose.

Thanks! I called MF and requested an exchange ... I asked if they can check when the unit I have was received from Line 6, they said they don't have access to that info. So, there is no way for them to know the exchanged unit it a more recent one from Line 6 :(

Here is what's even more concerning ... as I was packing up the unit, I notice the label on the box, the one that has serial number etc ... right below it there was another label that has 5/23/2016 date on it! This may be either the manufacture date OR shipping date from China. Looks like Line 6 may not have updated these after all ... they are just replacing fans for people that complain.

The Yamaha DBR 10/12 series and Yamaha DXR 10/12 series sound fantastic! Plus, they're covered by Yamaha's 7 Year Warranty. And, through the end of the year there's a price reduction on many of the Yamaha models.

Thanks MusicLaw. I already requested an exchange on the unit from MF. Let's see if I have a better luck with the replaced unit. If not, I will go with Yamaha DXR10.

Here is what's even more concerning ... as I was packing up the unit, I notice the label on the box, the one that has serial number etc ... right below it there was another label that has 5/23/2016 date on it! This may be either the manufacture date OR shipping date from China. Looks like Line 6 may not have updated these after all ... they are just replacing fans for people that complain.

Who knows? I just looked at mine...there are no other stickers on it in the vicinity of the serial number now. Don't recall anything else when it was new either. We'll never know either way. It would be nice to think that they stopped producing units with the faulty fans. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. But if it's cheaper to replace the faulty ones rather than retool production with a new part, it wouldn't surprise me if that's what's happening. The almighty dollar make$ the$e deci$ion$.

I too believe that $$ makes most if not all business decisions*. In this case I think the $$-based business decision would dictate that the fans be replaced in the manufacturing process as soon as the defect was recognized and a solution found. I can't imagine it's cheaper to continue to release units known to be defective and repair them all (most? some?) later. The intangibles of customer satisfaction and corporate reputation are somehow also factored in I expect.

So I believe current/recent units do not have this problem, but I don't know that for a fact.

* in fact, a corporation's mandate is to increase shareholder value. Directors of the corporation can be held personally liable if they make contrary decisions (at least in Canada).

This was a well documented problem for about the first year after the release of these speakers. I have always thought the fact that they cannot confirm which serial numbers have the new fans was highly suspect or at the very least a substantial oversight in proper tracking of a known manufacturer defect. I am horrified (it's Halloween) to hear that one that was purchased so recently might have the original defect with the rattling fan. I hope this is just a case of NOS or a one-off. Please let us know if your new speakers have the same issue.

This was a well documented problem for about the first year after the release of these speakers. I have always thought the fact that they cannot confirm which serial numbers have the new fans was highly suspect or at the very least a substantial oversight in proper tracking of a known manufacturer defect. I am horrified (it's Halloween) to hear that one that was purchased so recently might have the original defect with the rattling fan. I hope this is just a case of NOS or a one-off. Please let us know if your new speakers have the same issue.

The OP is the second guy I've seen posting this week with a newly purchased, rattling Stagesource speaker...if the newer production runs really have had the problem rectified, then there are obviously still a bunch of older ones rotting in stock rooms...

Yes, I sure will. Shipped the unit out to MF already. Hopefully, I will get a replacement early next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again guys! I wanted to update on this. I finally got the replacement from MF today, a week after them getting the faulty unit back. I plugged it in and there is no sound and no power LED in the front. I can hear clicks inside the unit when I switch the power on. I cannot change any speaker modes in the back. When I press the feedback suppression button, the Reference PA light turns on amber and that is the only light in the back that turns on.

I called Line 6 support and after spending 30min on the phone they told me I could return the unit to the place of purchase or send it in for repairs which will take about 3 weeks!

Well, I am done with this! Calling MF back to return and get a refund ... This will be considered the worst purchase ever in all the pro-audio gear I have ever purchased :(

Hello again guys! I wanted to update on this. I finally got the replacement from MF today, a week after them getting the faulty unit back. I plugged it in and there is no sound and no power LED in the front. I can hear clicks inside the unit when I switch the power on. I cannot change any speaker modes in the back. When I press the feedback suppression button, the Reference PA light turns on amber and that is the only light in the back that turns on.

I called Line 6 support and after spending 30min on the phone they told me I could return the unit to the place of purchase or send it in for repairs which will take about 3 weeks!

Well, I am done with this! Calling MF back to return and get a refund ... This will be considered the worst purchase ever in all the pro-audio gear I have ever purchased :(

Thanks for posting back. What a horrible speaker purchase experience. I would be done with it too.