Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Black Friday deals?

damien_

Not a chance. They screwed the pooch last year. Couldn't crank them out fast enough, and they missed a bunch of holiday sales...at full price...because there were just none to be had. For all intents and purposes, this is Helix's first Xmas season.

Besides...all that Black Friday crap is for products that The Great Unwashed gobble up in large numbers...TV's, tablets, phones, etc. Lining up before sunrise, and stampeding each other to death to get their hands on. You couldn't get enough Helix customers together in one place to get a decent stampede off the ground. ;)

zzounds.com often offer 12 payments on the Helix for min no qual, no credit check, no music card application. Just FYI. Pretty sweet deal. Sweetwater, love 'em but they only offer 3 no qual payment plan. I think they only give out their music card to lottery winners. 

Not a chance. They screwed the pooch last year. Couldn't crank them out fast enough, and they missed a bunch of holiday sales...at full price...because there were just none to be had. For all intents and purposes, this is Helix's first Xmas season.

Besides...all that Black Friday crap is for products that The Great Unwashed gobble up in large numbers...TV's, tablets, phones, etc. Lining up before sunrise, and stampeding each other to death to get their hands on. You couldn't get enough Helix customers together in one place to get a decent stampede off the ground. ;)

Except the intelligent people just order the same stuff, at basically the same discounted price (sometimes without even paying the same taxes) online.

Let UPS, and Fed Ex travel for me during the black/cyber week. Never even leave the house.

That said I don't expect Helix line of products to get much of a discount. The mission EXP pedals might, but thats all I would expect for the Helix line.

zzounds.com often offer 12 payments on the Helix for min no qual, no credit check, no music card application. Just FYI. Pretty sweet deal. Sweetwater, love 'em but they only offer 3 no qual payment plan. I think they only give out their music card to lottery winners. 

Hmmmm. My experience with Sweetwater has been different. I've gotten several things from them. They all were 24 months same as cash. They were up to 36 months same as cash for awhile. I'm not sure about now And they include some candy with every delivery. Ohboy! Candy! I also had issues with one of those purchases and returned and got a new one three times with no whining. Check 'em out

http://www.sweetwater.com/

(They are now at 24 months same as cash)

Hmmmm. My experience with Sweetwater has been different. I've gotten several things from them. They all were 24 months same as cash. They were up to 36 months same as cash for awhile. I'm not sure about now And they include some candy with every delivery. Ohboy! Candy! I also had issues with one of those purchases and returned and got a new one three times with no whining. Check 'em out

Yea, I have to agree.  Just about every interaction I had with Sweetwater was pleasant, and well done. 

I will also add that Paypal has an option (I am sure there variables) that you can do Paypal Credit and receive no interest for 6 months.  I went with this over the Sweetwater deal for my Helix purchase, but that is because I was already approved, and just didn't want another card. Trying to keep all that in check, and manageable while trying to make sure I get everyone something nice for the Winter Solstice celebrations.

And yes, the candy lol. I have to make sure my GF doesn't open the package first, other wise my candy will be "taxed."

I worked with sweewater to get a beautiful Jackson DK2QM. It was a specific serial number that I picked out from their guitar gallery on their site.  I got the exact one I wanted, with the exact quilt on it.  

I had to return my first Helix.  Sweewater sent me a second HELIX free of charge, while I still had my first one, so I could A/B them.  I sent back the first, kept the second (the first had a slightly loose USB connection) I found that to be exceptional service from them.

Their sales engineers, and even tech support engineers really do try to help.

Sweetwater is the exception to the rule...so pleasant and accommodating, that one wonders what the ulterior motive could possibly be, lol. They're my first stop for most things...haven't set foot in a GC or Sam's A$$ for years.

I've never been to a Sam's Ash before.  But Everytime I step inside a Guitar Center, I feel odd.  Almost as if I am stepping inside a Hot Topic or something. Its almost like if you have ever seen the John Carpenter's They Live...  I feel like the majority of the people in the store (customers too) would look like those aliens, if I had some of those sunglasses on. 

I've never been to a Sam's Ash before. But Everytime I step inside a Guitar Center, I feel odd. Almost as if I am stepping inside a Hot Topic or something. Its almost like if you have ever seen the John Carpenter's They Live... I feel like the majority of the people in the store (customers too) would look like those aliens, if I had some of those sunglasses on.

Wow...now there's a movie that doesn't get referenced every day, lol.

"I came here to chew bubble gun and kick a$$...and I'm all out of bubble gum". Oscar Wilde couldn't have said it better. 😂

Wow...now there's a movie that doesn't get referenced every day, lol.

"I came here to chew bubble gun and kick a$$...and I'm all out of bubble gum". Oscar Wilde couldn't have said it better.

I love that movie, John Carpenter is one of my favorite directors.  I cringed when I heard they were making Dead Space (videogame) into a live action movie, until I read that John Carpenter might be the one doing it. Now, if that is true, I can't wait to see it.

And you're right, it does feel odd in those stores now. The last time I ventured into one the employees were all huddled together in corners, muttering under their breath to each other, unless you get close enough and attempt an interaction. Then the "spokesman" responds while the rest hang back. It's kinda like going to the zoo...which is similarly depressing. ;)

If GC would have what I want they might stand a better chance selling stuff to me. Their best one liner here is "no but we can order it for you". 

But hey they have a huge wall of cables that are 3x the price for those that don't know any better....

(spikey lowers his waving arms, climbs off his stump, and go's back under his rock...)

The vast majority of gear (> $100) I've bought from GC, I have ordered on the phone. Everything ships from their main Kansas City distribution center to my local GC store free of charge. If it doesn't check out, I don't take it and I get a refund processed to my credit card. The same goes for any gear that doesn't proove out during the 45 day satisfaction return period.

The inventory in the GC stores is a mere fraction of what's available from the main distribution center.

I also buy from Sweetwater, and Amazon mostly for incidentals.

Of course we can all shop where we want and order online, and thats a good thing. My point is that "every one" including GC can order stuff online, but walking into a store today with near everything already there is a very rare and unexpected experience. I think we have out grown that expectation or never knew it existed, but thats the way it "was" 40 years ago. sigh.... OTOH we couldn't watch a war live on our displays or pay for movie tickets online either. So I guess it all evens out one way or another.  :P

Their best one liner here is "no but we can order it for you". [/i]

Oh that's my favorite, lol...like it's a "plus". There's hardly anything that you can't have shipped to your front door at this point. If I've gone to the trouble of dragging my fat a$$ to the store, it's because I actually want to see/feel/try out an item before I purchase it. If I've already made up my mind, I can make it appear from the couch, all be myself.

ONLY with their music card. No card or approval on zzounds,com. I've bought a ton of stuff off them. Been denied a card from Sweetwater's card dealer at least 6 times in the last years. I live on a golf course and drive a Mercedes but they cannot see fit to give me a music card. I get offers for credit cards once a week. Don't want them, wanted Sweetwater's for same as cash deal. But yeah, it's with the card, I know this without a doubt. 

I've found a few really good deals at GC's in the past, mostly on some used gear.  I've also always been able to get them to knock a bit off the asking prices just by talking to the manager.  The Platinum GC in Las Vegas is awesome BTW.

I prefer ordering on line for several reasons:

• No sales tax
  • I live 4 hours from the nearest guitar store
  • Better selection
  • Usually better deals

And I love the extra warranty that Sweetwater includes for free.

I just have to pile on and say that for me Sweetwater is always a pleasure to order from...their "sales engineers" in my dealings with them are always knowledgeable and every single time have given me a break on the prices.  I like the way that you eventually get "assigned" your own sales engineer...I have built a great relationship with mine (Mark!) and consider him a friend.  Their return policy is fantastic and no sales tax is great, and being in Ohio I almost always get what I order the very next day.

I have a couple of "friends" at the local GC 5 minutes down the street from me that are good to me, but the majority of the staff there are clueless and they have a lousy inventory unless you want an entry level Ibanez (or now Mitchell electrics!) or an over priced 2013 PRS that's been in the Platinum room for a few years.  I'm "lucky" that I have 2 other GC's within @ 1/2-hour to 45 minutes from me, but they are even worse.  I really only look at used gear at GC's anymore.  I do like the way you can get used gear from other locations sent to your local GC and then accept it or return it right there.

The local Sam Ash is even worse...the only good thing about them is since their staff is even more clueless than GC, you can get TOP dollar selling them gear!  I bought a used USA G&L guitar that I kept for about 6 months that I sold to Sam Ash and actually made $130 over what I paid for it!  It's still hanging on the wall there a year later.

All 3 will usually knock something off the price for just asking which is good...can't remember the last time I paid "sticker price" for anything above strings or a cable, etc.  

Looks like I'm actually gonna have some expendable cash this year around Black Friday / Cyber Monday so for the first time in awhile I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of deals the "big 3" (SW, GC, & SA) are going to have this year.

• 2 weeks later...

And you're right, it does feel odd in those stores now.

Call me odd, but a real music store has certain things going on. First - the staff includes giggers in their forties, which means they are experts on a huge amount of gear and know what sucks and what doesn't, that they have checked out various items over the weekends and have tried them out live, plus they are seasoned enough to know what matters and what doesn't. Second, 70% of the clientele are real musicians and not hobbyists, which means you will run into people you know and keep up with the turnovers and opportunities. Third, the repair guy is not hidden in some cave, but is accessible, and at least once per visit you can hear a string of profanity when he accidentally touches a hot capacitor (which makes the visit to the store a lot funnier). Fourth, the guitar teacher doesn't wear shades on top of his head and a sweater tied around his neck. Fifth, when you buy a cheap Squire, a Mega amp, and a $30 multieffects pedal for your kid, the twenty-year-old salesman doesn't assume they are for you and say, "Have fun!"

Well I guess its good to have faith in your local music store and client base.

What we have is like a Walmart that has the popular and common fast selling music gear for sale.

Not one Kemper, or God forbid a Helix on the shelf...

Of course you were speaking about a "real" music store. My apologies as I haven't seen one of those in a while. ;)